FRIDAY NIGHT MUSIC THREAD...

tuning knobs on the bass normally are on top of the head, this one they're on the bottom.

Then look at the body. there is a longer & shorter arm on the front, usually the longer one is on top, where the strap attaches. The longer one is on the bottom.

That's a bass made for a left handed player that's been flipped over to be played right handed.

Look at the bass, head 7 body & then compare it to them from 1980 on a right handed bass:

don't know guitar guys name, he's the one that looks like howard mandel with hair LOL

Look closely at his guitar, he's a leftie playing a rightie. The guitar has been flipped, but not restrung for a leftie. To me, the strings are upside down. He learned how to play left handed & upside down, chords, leads, all of it.

First time to be able to tell is at 10:12

Last edited:
In Comfortably Numb, starting at 2:13:45 you can really see the thickness of the strings.

That's actually a left handed guitar but also strung the same way as the other one is.

I've know left handed guitar players & it's common for them to flip a guitar over but then restring it. Watching this concert, this caught my eye & it's the first & only time I've seen someone play this way.

And the dude is REALLY good too
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Stu Farish

I've know left handed guitar players & it's common for them to flip a guitar over but then restring it. Watching this concert, this caught my eye & it's the first & only time I've seen someone play this way.

Never seen that either. Keep in mind that it's not as simple as re-stringing the instrument. The nut has to be reversed, as does the bridge. In "most" cases the pickups have to be reversed or adjusted. However, Jimi Hendrix never changed his pickups when he flipped his guitars. That's part of what gave him his unique sound.

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishI just noticed in that video that he's playing a left handed bass flipped over. While it's not unusual for left handed players to flip over a guitar & restring it (though one show I watched with Roger Waters, his guy was playing a right handed guitar left handed & did not restring it), that's the first time I've noticed this with ZZ top.

Actually Stu ..... it's NOT a lefty. Look closer. The volume and tone controls are in the lower heel position where they SHOULD be.

That's a Fender reversed headstock Telecaster bass that Dusty had built in Fender's custom shop. Dusty Hill (as is Billy Gibbons to some degree) has a penchant for custom guitars. He's probably the "guru" of custom basses only running a close race with John Entwhistle of The Who before John passed away.

I've been fortunate to know both Billy and Dusty after being introduced to them through a very close acquaintance for many years. They're great guys and both hold deep Christian faiths. Lots of talent and creativity in that duo.

Originally Posted By: Stu Farishgreat info, I never would have figured that out
wink.gif

Comes from being "in the business" most of my younger life.
wink.gif

And just because I like to have fun.....

Even though he NEVER, EVER used this as his ring entrance music, I was always a fan of the late Randy "Macho Man" Savage...so I just had to play this when I found it today.....

I almost never watch shows like "America's Got Talent", but as I was flipping through the channels recently, I caught this young duo on that show doing a cover of a Hendrix song.
I thought they were pretty good.
cool.gif

Maybe not as good as the original "2 Cellos" duo. But then again, these guys are much younger, and I'm sure will improve even more with time.

This 1st one is of them playing along with the "2 Cellos"

The following just goes to prove that music can jump between various generations, as well as cross the genre lines in ways some never thought possible........Heavy Metal to Bluegrass........

The Gravel Spreaders....

Hayseed Dixie.....

Back