Free floating barrel question on 700's

Originally Posted By: JTBOriginally Posted By: CatShooter
Pillars? They look cute, but glass the action and forget about pillars - they add nothing, and can make things worse with wood stocks, and they are redundant in aluminum bodied stocks.

I disagree about pillars in wood stocks. Properly installed pillars will prevent the wood from being compressed over time and can provide a more reliable bedding for the action versus wood which can swell or shrink depending upon the weather.

A properly done stock does not swell and shrink. And the purpose of the action screws IS to compress the action into the stock - no matter what you use, two screws with 60 to 70 inch pounds of torque, adds up to bunches of hundreds of pounds of pressure, pulling the action into the stock. Most 1,000 yard benchrest stocks are wood.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: JTBOriginally Posted By: CatShooter
Pillars? They look cute, but glass the action and forget about pillars - they add nothing, and can make things worse with wood stocks, and they are redundant in aluminum bodied stocks.

I disagree about pillars in wood stocks. Properly installed pillars will prevent the wood from being compressed over time and can provide a more reliable bedding for the action versus wood which can swell or shrink depending upon the weather.

A properly done stock does not swell and shrink. And the purpose of the action screws IS to compress the action into the stock - no matter what you use, two screws with 60 to 70 inch pounds of torque, adds up to bunches of hundreds of pounds of pressure, pulling the action into the stock. Most 1,000 yard benchrest stocks are wood.

I think any stock, properly done or not, will swell and shrink. It's just the nature of wood. It might be very miniscule, but it will move. Perhaps I should have written "crush" instead of "compress", but over torquing wood stocks can compress/crush the action area. Pillars can prevent this. I believe most benchrest stocks, wood or synthetic, are pillar bedded. Take a quick survey or search on benchrest.com or other benchrest forums and you'll find pillar bedded rifles far outnumber rifles with no pillars.

Last edited:
I just want I to drop a coyote at 300 yds. I'm not concerned about an 1 1/2" group at 1000 yds.

With that said, I believe free floating my barrel was the correct choice, but if it doesn't cut it in accuracy, I'm going t o glass bed the action and leave the pillars out.

I appreciate the comments/suggestions.

Back