Foxpro requires older 416 units be shipped in for new sounds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will the 416 play the .fxp files or will it only work with mp3?

If you use the adapter to back up the sounds that are on your caller now, then have new sounds added and make a backup of those also on your computer - why can't you just use the adapter and switch your own sounds?

One thing I found when reading the Q&A section on Warranty info on FoxPro's website is that the Older callers do not have serial #'s. My thoughts are that anyone could order sounds claiming they have a Foxpro? Many are sold without their knowledge,, maybe 3-4 times. The newer units have these numbers thereby proving ownership. These are only "My" thoughts on the matter. If I were a Manufacturer I would be concerned about this as well. Id take Mike up on his offer to PM him, and get the skinny. Look what Napster did to the Music Industry.

Ask them to assign a serial number to your call. If they won't do that and email you the sounds that you want, then I would assure them that you will never buy any of their products again. Heck, I would consider that a good enough reason that if they won't help you, I likely will never buy any of their products again myself.

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357Mike Dillons explanation in this thread makes perfect sense to me.

http://forum.gofoxpro.com/viewtopic.php?t=3822&sid=b410bd6bd050fe4ed6757e529829f5c8

If this quote from Mike is true: "If you were to see the old download statistics when we offerd 15 second and 30 second loops for download they consisited of less then 5% of the downloads but took up 66% of our efforts and bandwidth on the webpage to maintain 3 separate online sound libraries."

They need a new webmaster.... Yes, I know what I'm talking about as I do webhosting...

What they should do, is either keep the old links or re-program your callers for free...

Slugger, that post was from 3 years ago. Like, before bandwidth got pretty expensive for them. (And everyone else.)

Technology has changed drastically in three years.

As to their webmaster....I doubt that he can be improved upon. I know him and know some of his resume too. Believe me when I tell you he's one of the best in the business. He knows his stuff.

The 416, although in itself is an excellent caller, has been supassed by technology by today's standards. I suspect that it's a very good thing that FoxPro is still supporting the 416 type callers. Not many companies would.....They would just drop it, and expect you to purchase the newer callers. So, it's a "positive" that you still have the option to make those changes with the caller, in my opinion.

Good response Barry, I dont have the Golden tongue that allows me to try to explain things the way I would like to.
Its kinda like my .223 WSSM... its gonna go by the wayside, But Im stocking up on brass now... for later.

Thats kinda the reason I posted about the 416, this didnt happen overnite. Its been a while. If I wake up and dont have Brass, Id have to blame myself. JMO

This is not a change due to outdated technology. Foxpro designed my 416 caller to use MP3s and promised an online library available via their download hardware. MP3 is the most widely used sound format still today. The only thing that changed was that Foxpro decided to stop selling MP3s online, going back on the whole concept of easily changed/added sounds from their sound library.

The Foxpro tech told me it was because too many people were selling Foxpro sounds on ebay.

Sorry, but I'm a repeat customer. (at least I WAS) When I purchased sounds from them in the past they required my name to match it to their sales records to make sure I actually owned a foxpro.

Foxpro needs to honor their advertising.

I guess Im Lost? The last time you bought sounds was 3 years ago, or Longer? That is how long ago that they were offered. How long should they provide this service? Please explain the logic of this?

Good question! After spending several hundred dollars on a Foxpro electronic caller, how many years do YOU expect the manufacturer (the so called industry leader) honor their word?

It's not like my "old" 416 caller is obsolete. Foxpro is perfectly capable of continuing to offer MP3 downloads, they simply decided to stop.

For me, If hunting is my passion, I move along with the times. Some still shoot a flintlock.They still get the job done. I choose something a little more upgraded. Others are different. Good luck...

Originally Posted By: rockinbbarSlugger, that post was from 3 years ago. Like, before bandwidth got pretty expensive for them. (And everyone else.)

Respecfully, bandwidth is cheaper now than it ever has been. ( http://blog.streamingmedia.com/the_busin...n-1998-270.html )

How many places are NOW streaming movies (Avg Movie size is 6+gb) Avg .MP3 size is around 3mb and that is a full 3 min of audio. What was your download speed 3 years ago? DSL lines can now exceed the download speed of a T1 line. ( http://support.summersault.com/bandwidth_chart.html )

Let me throw one little tidbit in here.. It will be soon that the .FXP format is cracked, just like the .WMA and .WMP were for iTunes. Somebody will make a converter, its inevitable. What happens then to all the current people buying the $500 units today, thinking the .FXP will be around in 3 or 4 years??? Will you all be so eager to then shell out $100 or more to have your current .FXP unit reprogrammed by FoxPro to the new .XYZ format because FoxPro stops supporting the .FXP format, even though your caller still functions like it did the day you bought it...

didn't think so...

Last edited:
Actually I'm pretty sure that if further encryption takes place, by having the tools you need to currently download sounds on a caller from the internet, I would have the tools to continue downloading them after the company keeps up with the times.

I also believe that newer callers were designed with this in mind.

Also, with the price of bandwidth. It does get more expensive with more traffic. So what bandwidth was costing 3 years ago with (for example only)10,000 users per year may have been nominal, if you have (for example only) 150,000 users last year, your bandwidth bill goes up considerable.

may not be a webmaster, but I can guarantee you that I know what I'm talking about there, based on what I've personally seen with other websites.
lol.gif

I'm also not a believer in keeping indefinately products that may have fallen by the wayside with outdated technology. Not just e-callers, but all sorts of hunting/shooting/calling gear are rapidly being updated as we speak. I used to kill coyottes with a Savage 99 with a Weaver K-4 on it in .243 using 100 gr. soft points....Will it still kill 'em. Sure! But, I like to keep up with the times and shoot the latest in rifle, scope, bullet technology...and it works well for me.
wink.gif
I also don't expect Savage to fix a problem with my 40 year old 99.....I figure I got my money's worth a long time ago out of that.
thumbup1.gif

It would only take a minute to burn a CD or email a few 30sec sounds. They already know I'm a return customer because they've already verified that info.

Nope, they won't do it.

.fxp files are not upgraded technology. It's proprietary technology, to limit who can access the files.

If I send in my 416 for the sounds I want, it's not going to come back with .fxp files on it. Foxpro will simply download MP3 files because that's how they designed the caller.

The problem is that they stopped doing this online, and now require that I ship my caller in so they can download MP3s.

Whatever. I know I'm not going to call up Johnny Stewart division of HS & ask them for some soundcards for my PM4 caller because I bought some cassettes for my old JS512 caller.....

I can see that there's no cure for the case of redazz at hand.
wink.gif

I've been fairly hands off on this one but it has just about run its course. I wish there was something constructive we could do here but it has gotten to the point that it isn't doing anyone any good.

Slugger, I guess it remains to be seen. Perhaps if they stop making the fxp sound files available for downloads,maybe then I can make a post 3 years later and complain.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back