Foxpro Fusion Speakers

Andybrock

Hi all,
Ive just bought a foxpro fusion which came with a sp60 external speaker, it’s the first caller I’ve had with a multiple speaker system . I use mainly high pitch rabbit / rodent sounds for foxes. What combination of speaker will give me the best sound? I notice the fusion has the ability to turn the front and or the back speaker off, and does it matter which ext speaker jack is used for the sp60?
Many thanks.

If you’re running higher pitch sounds just run the front horn speaker. The rear cone excels with lower pitch sounds. For example the low growls in some coyote vocals. Running both front and rear shouldn’t really affect your calling either way. If you run both you will still call in fox just fine, but you will deplete your batteries quicker running both.

Good luck!

I thought normal practice was to run both speakers. After all, a coyote, or bunny doesn't direct it's sound in 1 direction through a funnel. Sound radiates all around, echoes off anything.

I really like having a single speaker that I can direct the sound. For me coyotes seem to come to the front of the caller. I will say that it might be because I'm pretty sure of where a coyote is coming from and turn the caller that direction. I also hunt alone and don't have another set of eyes to cover other quadrants so tend to hunt terrain that I know where the coyotes will come from.

I thought normal practice was to run both speakers. After all, a coyote, or bunny doesn't direct it's sound in 1 direction through a funnel. Sound radiates all around, echoes off anything.
You can absolutely run both speakers if you choose to. Doing so also allows the use of the Foxmotion feature where the sound alternates from one speaker to the other. As I mentioned though, it will come at the cost of your battery life. Running both won’t scare off any coyotes or fox. But different sounds do better at certain frequencies and a high pitch sound will perform better from the front horn speaker.

Read into this as much as you want. I believe sounds are overthought in most cases. Lots of critters have died running into less than great sounding sounds. Not many coyotes fully understand frequency ranges anyway. 😉 Good luck out there!

From Foxpro's description of the Fusion.

"The front horn speaker handles your coyote vocalizations and common distress sounds with ease. The rear cone speaker handles the low frequency sounds such as bear growls, owl sounds and even mountain lion sounds."

From Foxpro's description of the Fusion.

"The front horn speaker handles your coyote vocalizations and common distress sounds with ease. The rear cone speaker handles the low frequency sounds such as bear growls, owl sounds and even mountain lion sounds."
And I can tell you that I myself, on one occasion, called in and killed a grey fox when I inadvertently only had the rear cone speaker of my old Fusion caller on. Actually called in a pair but only got the female. I remember it being Foxpro Snowshoe HP and I shot her at 65 yards with a 204Ruger. Almost tore her in half! The pair didn’t notice that it wasn’t a horn speaker! Lol.

I learned a couple things on that set. The big one was a 204 is a little too much for fox!! I reaffirmed this on a couple occasions afterwards.

The first fox I ever killed over an e-caller was over a Johnny Stewart cassette caller and JS Gray Fox Pup Distress. Grey fox. #2 was the same caller with JS Raspy Cottontail. A Red Fox. There were many more over that same caller with worn out draggy from the cold sounds. Sounded awful by today’s standards. Still effective.

I know you don't need a high-quality speaker to be successful. I called my first coyote with a Cass Creek caller. I have noticed an increase in animals called in after upgrading to a higher quality speaker. I rarely have a need for two speakers so I just run the front horn speaker all the time. Next time I'm set up in a location were calling in two directions makes sense I might try using both speakers.

I mostly use a shotgun for greyfox. BB or #4 buck. Doesn't tear them up to bad.

Back