Fox only 12g load?

Isn't recommending "turkey choke" kinda non-specific? Like saying "sports car"? Anybody have a suggestion for what kind of "turkey choke"?

Kick's offers a Gobblin' Thunder in:

I have a .665 DC choke that was just "ok". Shall I try the Kick's .660 for #4 lead shot?

I would try the Kick's in either .665" or .670". The .670” might be more versatile in the long run with larger shot for coyotes. The cool thing about Kick’s is that they will probably exchange the choke for another constriction if it doesn’t pattern well for no more than the cost of return shipping.

I contacted Kick's and they recommended a .670" for #4 lead shot, and same for copper plated BB (Rem 870 12g). So I ordered one.

Personally I'd stay away from the smaller shot and really try hard to find a 4 buck load. I tried the 3" "heavy metal" BB loads in the OP's first post last year on coon and was unhappy with the penetration but also with the how bad they raked the fur. Way, way to many shot pellets. This year I've stepped up to 4 buck and am much happier. I'm using el'cheapo "Royal Buck" brand with only 21 buckshot and a full choke and am getting good patterns and thus results out to 25 yards. I'm sure with some testing, good 3" loads and my extra full choke I could get out much farther on fox and coon sized critters without destroying the fur and 25 yards is far enough on my coon shooting. Like I said, my cheap loads only contain 21 buckshot, move up to 3" Federal loads and you'll get almost double at 41. Just can't see getting much better than that without blowing half the fur off, even on small bodied fox.

Top that off with Federal 4 buck loads in both 2 3/4" and 3" , plated or bare lead being widely available and still a $1 - $1.50 per shot, you don't get much cheaper for critter getting shotgun ammo. Of coarse you could always go with the Royal Buck crap I'm shooting ($2.50 per 5) but range will suffer big time.

How far do you think #4 lead shot will kill a fox? Assuming a fox gets hammered by the pellets, how far does it have the energy to kill. 50 yards? 60 yards? Less?

Remington 870 12g
Kicks .670" choke
3" Remington Nitro Turkey #4 lead
November-13-2012-052c.jpg

I'm getting 50+ hits on a 9" paper plate at 40 yards regularly.
November-13-2012-035c.jpg

It looks like this at 40 yards on a life-sized fox: (about 100 hits on the body)
November-13-2012-050c.jpg

November-13-2012-051c.jpg

And like this at 50 yards:
November-13-2012-054c.jpg

Now I just need to try it out to see if it has enough killing power to drop them dead in their tracks with NO RUNNING...

I just could not get those Federal copper plated BBs to pattern past 30-35 yards. I tried lots of chokes, it ain't gonna happen for me.

I highly recommend not shooting fox with #4 SHOT. All you are going to do is piss them off. I have first hand testimony of this.

#4 BUCK is the way to go. Not too much damage up close and will reach out to 70+ yds if you have to.

Full choke, whichever works good in your gun.

I am not an expert but have shot LOTS of fox with my shotgun(yes, even at 70+ yds)

I use the federal 2 3/4 for fox. The 3" works good too but is almost overkill on fox.

Just my opinion....

Originally Posted By: AzDiamondHeatI highly recommend not shooting fox with #4 SHOT. All you are going to do is piss them off. I have first hand testimony of this...
Two other guys here say it works just fine. How can this be?

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGOriginally Posted By: AzDiamondHeatI highly recommend not shooting fox with #4 SHOT. All you are going to do is piss them off. I have first hand testimony of this...

Imagine that. Conflicting reports. Ain't the WWW a fun place.

Yeah no kidding...

I tried some 3" Hevi-Shot Hevi-13 #4 shot and it patterned well. That should hit a lot harder than lead, right? And penetrate better. It's $18/10 rounds, which is almost the same cost as Fed #4 buck.

I can't get BBs to pattern very well, tried all the choke constrictions that are "supposed" to work.

#4 buck patterns ok for me but I'd like to get a higher pellet count to ensure NO RUNOFFS. I hunt pockets of very thick brush and if they run I may not ever recover them especially at night.

That pic you posted of a 4 buck pattern looked fine to me. You just missed.

I'm far from a shotgun pro but do you really think that more small light hits are gonna be more effective than 6, 8 or more .24 hits?

You're fur, do want you want.

Originally Posted By: Chris_BriceThat pic you posted of a 4 buck pattern looked fine to me. You just missed.
Different point of impact than the previous load I was testing.

Originally Posted By: Chris_Brice
I'm far from a shotgun pro but do you really think that more small light hits are gonna be more effective than 6, 8 or more .24 hits?
That's what I'm trying to find out. I'm a shotgun novice. Foxes are pretty small, about the size of a 2-liter bottle of soda with a head and tail when you skin them out, so I'd prefer more than 41 pellets of 3" #4 buck shot especially for 40+ yard shots if needed.

Stepping down to T shot, there's only one option, DC, and it's expensive. Next is Fed BB which I can't get to pattern very well after trying 5 custom chokes. I didn't try #2 shot yet because I got several reports here that #4 shot works fine. I don't want to go smaller than that for sure.

Just trying to figure out what works on foxes... At this point I'm ready to either try the #4 shot in the field to see first hand if they kill, or just stick with the #4 buck shot. Either way I have to order more ammo because I used it up testing. Maybe I'll order some #2 shot to try...

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGOriginally Posted By: AzDiamondHeatI highly recommend not shooting fox with #4 SHOT. All you are going to do is piss them off. I have first hand testimony of this...

Well, if you shoot a critter close enough you can shoot it with bird shot. ANYTHING will "work". You are asking what is MOST effective.

SHOT is for BIRDS. If you shoot a fox at 10yds with your dove load I am certain it will not take another step. Shoot that same fox at 50 yds with your dove load and he will just laugh at you. It is ok if others disagree with me because it is a simple matter of physics. Birdshot just doesn't have the penetrating force at distance.

#4 Buck is tried and proven by countless hunters for countless years. As many have said, fox are not very hardy animals and it doesn't take a lot of pellets to drop one.

I know you asked for something OTHER than #4 buck, but the reasoning of needing a higher pellet count is baseless in real world application.

Have you lost a number of fox after shooting them with #4 buck or are you just worried you "might"? Just wondering what prompted your initial quandary.

Like you said, you might just need to go in the field and shoot a couple and I think all of your worries will disappear(unless you shoot them with #4 shot! lol).

Remember, most of us are not on here to argue or to "prove" someone else wrong, we are just trying to help through our experience.

Ive killed several Foxs over the years and most was done with #4 shot but lead BBs is my goto size. No need for 4 Buck,IMO :mellow

Back