Forward assists and dust covers?

I like the dust covers for the airborne junk in the desert. FA probably not needed but most of mine have it. I find myself whacking it automatically thanks to years of training.

Greg

They are for me, but my introduction to the platform was through Uncle Sam, so anything else just doesn't seem right.

When I hunt I like to ride the charging handle forward so that I don't make a bunch of noise, then push the forward assist. And the dust cover just seems to make sense to me.

I just built a lightweight AR that has neither and it works great.

They are not necessary for a hunting for a hunting rifle in my opinion.

I wouldn't own an AR that HAS either...both are about a joke. All my AR's don't have that ridiculous charging handle either....bolt knobs {side charge} for me. Why have "forward" only bolt assist when you can have "Positive" bolt assist. Just hate to do things half way especially when it comes to weapons.

The forward assist is certainly debatable but to call the dust cover a joke...that's a joke in itself. The dust cover serves a very important function. Maybe in bench shooting and good hunting conditions it's not required but that isn't what these rifles were designed for.

Are they really necessary on a hunting rifle? Probably not.
But, I want them on my AR.
I usually hunt within 300 yds of my car. Thus, I ride the bolt forward for less noise. I don't like getting trash in my gun so, I use the dust cover.

Originally Posted By: msincI wouldn't own an AR that HAS either...both are about a joke. All my AR's don't have that ridiculous charging handle either....bolt knobs {side charge} for me. Why have "forward" only bolt assist when you can have "Positive" bolt assist. Just hate to do things half way especially when it comes to weapons.

To each there own but to say you hats to do things half way you know you are only using half the parts they were designed to have. Lol. Just poking fun.

Just curious because I'm completely new to the ARs, but can't you ride the bolt forward by pushing the charging handle forward the last little bit the same as using the forward assist?

No because the charging handle isn't attached to the bolt carrier, if it were it would reciprocate with it. The handle only catches it going rearward.

Unless its a side charge where handle is attached to the bolt... Then you can use as a forward... Or like the original mmr upper receiver there was an indentation on the bolt where could push the bolt forward and use as a FA...

Where I hunt the dust is so bad that after 3 or 4 days hunting, our bolt actions get hard to operate without taking them apart and wiping them down. The dust cover always stays up when I take my ARs. I also like to ride the bolt down which makes the FA very useful for me.

I've had an AR since 1995, with both.

I've never had any reason to use the dust cover, but I do sometimes use the forward assist.

i have ar's with and without both features.

my slick sides (no FA, no Dust cover) work just as well as their brothers with those accessories.

i've yet to use the FA on my uppers that have them. none of my other semi-auto firearms have forward assists or dust covers, i dont see what the fuss is about them on ar's for non-battle use.

the one thing i have against FA - if the bolt wont close with out it - somethings wrong. and i need to do more than jam that round in the chamber so the bolt WILL close. like find out if something got into the chaber, do i have an out of spec round, etc.

again - this is discussing NON battle conditions.

Are they necessary for hunting rifle? Maybe not BUT, personally, I would rather keep as much dust and grit out of any action as I hunt in a very dusty environment and any resulting grit between the inner working parts can certainly do nothing but cause excessive wear between those parts.

As far as FA is concerned, I often ride the bolt down w/charging handle and find that the bolt has not gone completely into battery necessitating a bit of help from the FA. There is an indentation in the side of the BC in which you can get a slight purchase on the carrier with your thumb and push BC forward IF there is not too much resistance to bolt closure, but the FA is much more positive when needed.

It is a personal preference thing, but I'm like the kid that, when picking his new puppy out of a litter, chose the puppy whose tail had not been "cropped" and when asked why, stated, "I want the whole puppy".
smile.gif

Regards,
hm

Back