Foaming Bore Cleaner Question #2

CWeeks

So what is the advantage to the foaming cleaner? After reading wyosongdog's post it seems like losts of guys use the foaming bore cleaner. It also appears that the foaming bore cleaner is less intensive, in that you spry it in walk away and let it do it's thing. Is that right?

Are they better than running patch after patch down the tube. I have wondered if running patch holders through the bore will dull or hurt the rifling. So I bought a bore snake and wanted to try the foam bore cleaner. Thanks for the help fellas.

The main advantage to the foam cleaners is that you don't have to scrub the bore to get the fouling out. Like you said, spray it and walk away. Let the foam work for you.

I read an article where they asked ten BR shooters from different practices how they feel about cleaning their bores. They all had different techniques but they all agreed that over scrubbing barrels will only hurt the accuracy, and they all used some form of a foam cleaner.

Quote:
you spray it in walk away and let it do it's thing. Is that right?

That's right! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I have used both Wipeout and Outers and can't tell any difference. They work great on copper and will clean carbon fowling, but not as quickly as Hoppes, Shooter's choice and others. If I'm in a hurry, I will run one patch of Hoppes Benchrest to take out powder fowling, let it sit a few minutes and dry patch before applying the foam. Fill bore w/foam, let sit overnight and dry patch. You'll get a very blue patch. Most of my rifles, if I repeat the foam treatment, will result in a white 2nd patch. In other words, the first foam treatment got all the copper. A slightly rough barrel or one which has been fired a lot may require a 2nd treatment to come clean. While Wipeout claims you do not need to oil the bore after using, I prefer a light coat of Breakfree if rifle is not to be fired for a while.

I use on bolt guns and AR's. IMHO, the less times you have to "poke" a rod down the barrel, the better, even w/bore guides.

Regards,
hm

Great info fellas. My new Dan Carey upper needs a cleaning and I think I will go get a foam cleaner to do it with and let it sit over night.

hm1996,
I hear you on jabbing stuff in the barrel it just seems like if there is a way to get around this that that is the road that should be taken. I am using a jag right now and not so sure that I like it.

Like hm1996 I just let it sit overnight and run a few dry patches through it then a drop of oil. It really works well for my copper fouling .243. Sometimes with my .243 it takes two treatments but my other guns only take one.

Quote:
I am using a jag right now and not so sure that I like it.

I use jags exclusively but the patch has to be right or you can sure get into trouble. I clean everyting from .375's down to the .223's and sometimes get confused, especially on the .243's and .223's as to which patch size I use. Really a pain to use the .243 in the 223 by mistake. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

While probably not necessary, when I use foam on my AR's, I keep a can of compressed air (type sold @ office supply stores) on the bench and run a short blast thru gast tube before running oily patch down bore. This insures no crud will be blown back into bolt/receiver.

I think you'll like the foam.

Regards,
hm

I tryed it once and it made a mess and never did seem to make it very far into the barrel before foaming out everywhere. Am I doing something wrong ?

Use different sizes of tubing to get a good fit, a 6"-8" piece of neoprene fuel line works well for putting the foam in from the chamber end, push it all the way in until it seals against the shoulder in the chamber. It takes a little learning on how much to apply, the foam expands as it enters the bore, so you need to let off the button well before it reaches the muzzle. A pop bottle over the muzzle will catch the excess which can be recycled on a patch.

foamingborecleaner.jpg

CWeeks,

I'm using the Wipeout foam and having good luck. On the AR, I pull the upper, blast the chamber and bore with brake cleaner, brush the chamber/locking lugs, then fill the bore with foam. I set the upper horizontal where any foam that runs out won't ruin anything.
I've never left it overnight, 3 hours was enough (but I didn't have a heavy copper build-up, I'd used Sweets or CR-10 regularly).
Blast a shot of brake cleaner up the gas tube, flush the chamber/bore again, patch with CLP and you're done.
I'm also using Weapons Shield CLP, which may contribute to the ease of cleanup (my 10-22 just requires a wipe-down with a patch now to clean the bolt/receiver).

I'm with you, I don't like running brushes and patches multiple times through the bore of an accurate barrel, even with a bore guide/coated rod.

Since I didn't believe it could be that easy, I tried Sweets once after the Wipeout sequence - nothing. I could see the CLP on the patch, but zero copper.
I think the "overnight" soak is only required if you have major copper build-up or a barrel that copper fouls badly.

My D-Tech hardly copper fouls at all, so 3 hours soak time(or possibly less) is plenty.
I'm sold on the Wipeout, haven't tried any other brands.
I'm also sold on the Weapons Shield CLP, which you can purchase from the OA2 on-line store. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Other than the soak time, it doesn't take much effort to clean an upper now.

You guys have hooked me up with exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Tomorrow I will try to hit sportmans and get some whipe out.

I have seen in Midway that they sell a chamber plug... Will this work well to keep foam from entering into the chamber when foaming, and do any of you guys use it or is it just a gimmick? You guys are pushing me towards getting some Wipeout i just don't want to make a mess and get foam everywhere. Im not real savvy when it comes to cleaning parts other than the bore. I usually use a bore guide, run my brush in and out 10 times with Butch's and then dry patch. After that I just use a .410 guage mop to clean in the chamber and into where the bullet sits (whats that called?). Good post we got going here.

I have a AR15 upper holder that I clamp in my vise so the barrel hangs straight down. I foam the barrel and leave it with a piece a white paper towel on the floor underneath the barrel. The paper towel will have the blue spot from the copper, I foam it again if it's still blue and move the paper towel a little so a clean spot is under the barrel. I check it a hour or two later and repeat until the paper towel is clean. Sometimes if I'm cleaning later in the evening, I foam it and go to bed, and foam it the next morning until it comes clean. Then I spray brake cleaner down the gas tube from the chamber end of the barrel and the barrel. When it's clean, I oil it down good and pull patches through the barrel with a string with a loop on the end.

If you are using a bore guide from the breech, Wipeout comes with a small "straw" applicator you can insert in the bore guide and stop up holes with your finger while applying the cleaner in short spurts until foam exits muzzle. Keep breech end plugged until foam quits expanding at muzzle. I usually put a rag between the bore quide and the back of action/stock on bolt guns in event some does leak out, but this is just an extra precaution.

Quote:
pull patches through the barrel with a string with a loop on the end.

You can make a really handy pull-through using the heavy string trimmer line. Cut to length and heat one end; press heated end against a flat metal surface to form a "head" similar to a nail head, then cut the opposite end at a sharp angle with a pair of side cutters to make it easy to push through a cleaning patch. It is stiff enough to push through a barrel, even if obstructed with mud or snow and can be coiled for storage in the butt of an AR.

Regards,
hm

Back