Flash hole deburring

pdhunter

I have always deburried the flash hole in virgin brass ,but
I am loading some once fired .204 hornady brass. I started
deburring the flash hole then got thinking - how many other people deburr the flash hole in once fired factory brass ?
If so has it made any difference ? Just wondering.

Just finished processing a new bag of 204. Not sure how much difference it makes, but I sure get some brass out of some of those flash holes. Has to make a difference when the fire hits the powder the same in every case.

Jack is likely right, but I do it anyway to make things that much more consistant. It's not worth losing any sleep over, unless you enjoy laying awake nights obsessing over things like, how many flakes of powder your putting in each case.

Quote:
Like, how many flakes of powder your putting in each case.

You do that too? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

There are many variables in the accuracy equation, and brass prep is one of them. Every one of the varaibles impacts accuracy. So, I deburr flash holes, ream primer pockets, and sort brass by weight.
Every little bit helps.

Martyn

I have removed some pretty big brass burrs from the inside of flash holes. I think it may make more of a difference on calibers where different primers make a significant difference. Like .17s for example.

I just started doing that a few years ago. I haven't noticed a dramatic difference in accuracy as a result, but it gives me something to do while sitting in front of the toob wit the kids. I started using Lapua brass in my 6.5X55 and it doesn't require any of that stuff. Maybe that's the way to go...

Quote:
There are many variables in the accuracy equation, and brass prep is one of them. Every one of the varaibles impacts accuracy. So, I deburr flash holes, ream primer pockets, and sort brass by weight.
Every little bit helps.

Martyn

I agree. Fully prep your brass then you are free to deal with the other variables and you don't have to wonder what if.... and you will sleep better.

I de-burr all of my brass also. It seems as if my groups are more uniform but that might be just my imagination. Sinclair makes the tool that I use but you should trim all your brass to a uniform length before using it.
http://www.sinclairintl.com/prod_detail_list/Flash-Hole-Deburring-Tools
K&M makes a tool that is a few bucks cheaper doesn't require brass of uniform brass length. It's supposed to do an excellent job but right now I can't remember who sells it. I've read about it on other forums and I wish I would have known about it before I bought the Sinclair.

Last edited:
ditto, I use the sinclair deburring tool.

I pretty much match prep every case for every rifle I load for. Maybe it doesn't show up on target, maybe it does.

I do know that accurate shooting, has a large mental aspect to it. If you KNOW you're brass is perfectly prepped, that is NOT on your mind. If you throw a flyer,..it wasn't your brass,..so what does that leave to investigate??? Match prepped brass means I don't have to look at my brass to determine why my target didn't look the way I wanted it to. I do this right down to even a pencil barreled hunting rifles that have never met a gunsmith.

For most factory guns not much will be seen by useing the methods listed above. But if you have a custom built rifle then every little thing helps.
For me i do everything that was mentioned above and then some. If i miss a shot then i know for sure it was my fault and not the gun or the loads used.
I also have my barrels frozen...

Thank for the in put. I will keep deburring if for no other reason so I can sleep better - by the way I use the RCBS deburring tool.

Quote:
I also have my barrels frozen...

How many miles does a guy have to drive down the road in Minn. with the barrel sticking out of the window to "freeze" a barrel? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif:p And at what speeds?...................................Sorry, couldn't resist! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

For a long time, I never bothered with it. I now have found that it definitely helps, for 2 reasons:

1) You are obviously going to get more consistent ignition without a burr interrupting the flame pattern of the primer

2) I have found that the burr can get smashed down by the decapping pin and partially cover the hole. This is just not good, and can definitely mess things up.....

I read a book about 5yrs ago about rifle accuracy. It covered benchrest and competition shooting, as well as a small chapter on hunting rifles. The author stated that he believed the single most important step to getting hunting handloads to shoot better was to deburr their flasholes. I started doing it and I now have to agree with him.

For how long it takes, it is worth the efffort, IMO.

I only do it to cases that are punched, not drilled.......

I forgot to add, I do this to trimmed brass, as cutting depth can vary with untrimmed brass, and unneccessarily remove more than you need to.....

Quote:
How many miles does a guy have to drive down the road in Minn. with the barrel sticking out of the window to "freeze" a barrel? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif And at what speeds?...................................Sorry, couldn't resist!

30 miles each way and done twice. One trip for drop off and second for pickup.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Quote:
Quote:
How many miles does a guy have to drive down the road in Minn. with the barrel sticking out of the window to "freeze" a barrel? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif And at what speeds?...................................Sorry, couldn't resist!

30 miles each way and done twice. One trip for drop off and second for pickup.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

All you have to do here in South Dakota is leave it in your pickup when you stop for gas. By the way, don't put your tongue on the barrel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Back