First Timer Mistakes?

Hey guys, this is my first post on the forum. I’m a die hard grouse hunter but most of NY is blown out with snow so it’s really tough hunting. Got the brite idea of trying to kill coyotes so I went out and bought a Savage 110 in .243. I’ve deer hunted most of my life but have not tried this yet. I have unlimited areas to hunt in PA and NY and know where all the thick stuff is. I know the lay of the land real well in these areas so I think finding places to set up won’t be a problem. My question would be how do you know where they’re gonna come from if everything around you is thick? I guess just hope he’s not standing behind you staring at you.

If everything is thick, there’s a good chance that they’re going to get to your wind before you see them. Try calling to the thick, but have your wind blowing to an area where you have decent shot opportunities. If it’s really thick and it’s hard to find a good area to setup, look for elevation to help see down into it.

Most The time , the direction of the wind, will steer the incoming coyote to where you want him if you setup right.

Last edited:
I've hauled in a climbing tree stand more then once. Made 4-6 stand walking in a huge circle back to my truck. Keeps your scent above the noses for the most part and definitely gives you a better viewing area

Just keep at it, and if a likely stand doesn't produce at first light, try it sometime at noon, or dusk. Sometimes it only takes a 50yd move to turn it into a producer. Also try sitting silent for 15 min at the end of a set.

Biggest mistake was not setting up correctly along with watching the wind direction.. Master those 2 things and your golden.. Dan

Back