First time Thermal buyer help

thb231

First post here looking to purchase my first Thermal, Research I have done narrowed it down to the Rico GL35 and the Bering Super Hogster. (my price range) I hunt northern Michigan mostly on baits usually 100 to 150 yards 200 max. I like the 5 year warranty on the Rico, Any experience with picture quality and longevity between the two would be appreciated. If there are other units that would be better would like to hear about those also. Mounting on AR.

Last edited:
I had a Super Hogster for 2 years and it worked fine, but moved up the the iRay Rico G 640 LRF for this year.

The GL35 is a better fit on a bolt gun with it's extended mount, so I would go that direction.

And it's on sale here:

First post here looking to purchase my first Thermal, Research I have done narrowed it down to the Rico GL35 and the Bering Super Hogster. (my price range) I hunt northern Michigan mostly on baits usually 100 to 150 yards 200 max. I like the 5 year warranty on the Rico, Any experience with picture quality and longevity between the two would be appreciated. If there are other units that would be better would like to hear about those also. Mounting on AR.
Man I have a Rico Mk1 and have loved it. Can’t ever go wrong with Iray products imo. Hit up night vision outfitters and that dude will hook you up pretty sure he has the gl on sale.

Thanks for your input, one of my concerns with the Rico Gl is the mount seems pretty long for mounting on an ar-15 looks more set-up for bolt gun.

Thanks for your input, one of my concerns with the Rico Gl is the mount seems pretty long for mounting on an ar-15 looks more set-up for bolt gun.
Works great for either.

On the AR, I have the mount flush to the front end of the upper for proper eye relief. All the way to the rear for the bolt gun. No pic of that.

f8y6yCt.jpg

tIBk33U.jpg

It’s a little long there is a more ar user friendly mount option available. Night vision outfitters has it in stock as well. Either would work great I’ve ran a stock mount on the Rico for as long as I’ve had it on ar and bolt guns with no problems, it has similar dimensions.

I have been around and used several of the Thermion XG50. They are about $3000.
They are a 640 and very nice. I haven't used anything else to compare it to though.

I have the gl35 and gl35r. Both excellent scopes. I would highly recommend. I actually run mine in the adm mount on both my ar and bolt gun. Certain dealers may throw it in. I have my go to places, but I won't list as they aren't sponsors here.

I have Rattler 384 and recently 640 on ARs. Removable and rechargeable batt are great. For 200 yds, 640 is the way to go, resolution is much better. Got an armadillo @ 50 with the 384 and a hog @ 100 with the 640. 384 is good for 100 at higher mag, past that recognition is poorer, IMHO. I did shoot at a small hog @ 100 with the 384, my fault I missed by an inch, rear end shot. IIRC the 384 is 3 yr, 640 is 5 yr. A lot of the reticles and other menu options are silly. Night hunting, a BDC/Mil drop reticle isn't worth anything, mostly no time, know your holdover. Or you have to go to high mag so it doesn't hide the target. Download the manuals and read before purchase if you can't see it in person. Previous link guys will talk with you about it.

for the last year I've hunted with an AGM Adder TS50-384 and have loved it for my style of hunting at longer ranges. With that said I just upgraded to a Iray GH50 x 640 and it comes in on Friday, can't wait to sight it in and get on some yotes. How r u liking that GL35?

You will notice a night and day difference in the iRay vs AGM, lol.
I have the Bolt TH50 C in 640 and the fact you have an internal and external battery capability is a game changer for me. The only time I think it’s switched to internal is when I change a battery and 1 battery last a good 3hrs or so and I got 4 of them for about $30.

You will notice a night and day difference in the iRay vs AGM, lol.
I have the Bolt TH50 C in 640 and the fact you have an internal and external battery capability is a game changer for me. The only time I think it’s switched to internal is when I change a battery and 1 battery last a good 3hrs or so and I got 4 of them for about $30.
The AGM Adder has been terrific on batteries, I've never run out of battery and have never had buyers remorse. However, the new Iray GH50 640 will definitely be a new experience compared to 384 resolution. can't wait. My pockets weren't deep enough for the Iray Bolt :)

had a chance to look thru the RIX Leap 6 LR yesterday and it is pretty sweet. I like the image better than my Thermion 2 XQ38.

The 6 is. 640 resolution. Hard to beat for the money. I will get a chance to use it this week d on some hogs. I think I will really like the battery set up.

had a chance to look thru the RIX Leap 6 LR yesterday and it is pretty sweet. I like the image better than my Thermion 2 XQ38.

The 6 is. 640 resolution. Hard to beat for the money. I will get a chance to use it this week d on some hogs. I think I will really like the battery set up.

The RIX looked very tempting especially with the ocular zoom and price tag, the only concern I had was it's a new company.

Only advantage I see to 'O' Zoom is if you over-zoom. Digital you push button till return to one. Also consider they all 'map' a small number of sensor pixels to double or triple display pixels. Higher the mapping, crummier the picture. Resolution does not get better! ID may get better. IIRC RIX is a IR component supplier that decided to get into the scope business. Their components may or may not be to same spec as other 'makers'. Hopefully costs will go down for all.

If I am not mistaken the ocular zoom is simply a twist on the scope bell just like zomming a regular scope. It has a throw lever that makes it quick.

I really like the 1850 battery. You can carry a pocket full of batteries and change out in about 15 seconds.

If I am not mistaken the ocular zoom is simply a twist on the scope bell just like zomming a regular scope. It has a throw lever that makes it quick.

I really like the 1850 battery. You can carry a pocket full of batteries and change out in about 15 seconds.

That is what RIX's marketing team wants you to think, but it is not what happens. They play on words big time with this one. What actually happens is when you adjust the throw lever it zooms in on the screen.

The plus side is that most users report that once you get used to it, they hardly ever touch the digital zoom.

Back