First Peek at the 22-NXS!!

Dang guys.
unsure.gif

I like to post a story and pics but here's the nitty gritty. 55 Nosler BT,65 Game King,69 SMK,77 Nosler CC,90 SMK were shot. Conditions were varying winds and temps were 45-63.
I thought I’d flesh this out a bit on my first 22-NXS range trip. Weather was nice with variable winds from all directions and between 45 and 63 degrees for the day. Off and on clouds cover through the morning was noted.

24” Tactical Ordnance stainless five polygon rifled barrel. This was one of the proof of concept barrels and does not use the new reamer coming in. It has a long throat but it appears to not be much of a hindrance. I used an A2 lower with my Giselle HS Match trigger. 8X25 Mueller scope.

I shot five bullets and seven powders in combination. Each bullet was shot at three charge weights. I had a total of thirteen nine shot targets shooting at ¾” dots three rounds at each. Bullet choices for the day were 55 Nosler BT; 65 Game King; Sierra69 SMK; 77 Nosler CC and the Sierra 90 SMK. All were loaded in formed 6 MM Hagar brass sized using an RCBS 22 Nosler die with no shoulder bump.

I did shoot these based on powder type so all RL15’s were shot, all 8208’s etc. were shot regardless of weight so temperatures between same same weights varied 118 rounds total were fired and I did not clean during the day.

The 55 Nosler BT’s shot relatively well and over all three powders used. CFE 223 was the Speed King for the day with it hitting 3754; 8208 followed at 3609 with 2520 doing a respectable e 3524. Group sizes were good with the all powders yielding under ¾ MOA at some point. 8208 was the accuracy winner recording 0.660 and 0.850. I was not all that enthused with2520 but I shot those three groups in under a minute as the range was closing down for the day and they were the last ones I had to test. They will be reshot next time though I did get a 0.705 for my fast effort. I seemed to have a bit of horizontal on all powders so it could have been bullet seating or the swirl down range.

5lV6DCM.jpg

Moving up to the 69 Sierra Game Kings was interesting. Speeds dropped of course but each powder shot using 4064, CFE 223 and RL15 I got to look at decent velocities with CFE hammering the other two by almost 300 FPS. I feel this was based on being cautions with powders we had not tried and based on the primers I wasn’t even warm yet. We all know that accuracy is what counts and the 4064 took the gold here. With a nice one of 0.565 taking first I was pleased. The 40 64 shot better every time the powder was bumped. This is a deer bullet in the 22 bore and I would be happy using it. I will do the 55 GK’s on a future trip but I do intend to try this one at higher levels.

QuVXftE.jpg

I next shot the 69 SMK. A good all around target bullet and it does work well on warm applications also per lots of fellows here. Based on the speeds I was grossly under loaded if speed is your only criteria topping out at 3323 using H 380. Accuracy however was outstanding across the entire nine group spectrum with six of the nine going under an inch. All three powders of Big Game, H380 and RL15 averaged less than one MOA combined. Not bad but across the board the faster they went the better all three shot. I’ll be looking at this one again.

rGjq7do.jpg

I next moved up into the heavier weight area using the Nosler 77 CC bullet. On this one I shot CFE 23; H 380 and 8208. Speeds were decent running up to 3180 with the CFE. It loves this case apparently. Accuracy was outstanding with only two groups over an MOA with the aggregate for all nine going 0.833 with those two thrown in. 8208 and the CFE both had two of three nicely under an inch with the CFE all under an MOA. I would go with this one if I wanted to take this to the processed trees out yonder.

EjN2UXn.jpg

My favorite effort showing that fast is not always the best.

bpGEII1.jpg

If you look closely you’ll see the 77’s were as fast or faster than the 69’s and this is what will get some serious looking at on the next trip.

To round out the day I put nine rounds o the 90 SMK over charges of 8208. This is 1:8 twist and under all reason I should have been looking at battleships on the target down range. This is not a magazine bullet in a standard mag though I can make it work in a window. Long and pointy I loaded these to 2.460. I ran out of dots so shot at some staples on the target board after I found out the general impact point on the first shot. The next two went in to 0.993. The bump up was atrocious thanks to a sympathetic trigger pull on my part hammering and jerking the shot low. The range was very crowded that day. The following load was clocked at 2753. I had the first two touching and then opened it up to 1.291 vertical. A bit more speed might suck this one up tight. I’ll find out. Bullet holes were nice and round with no yaw noted so if push came to shove I would say in this barrel they could be used after a roper evaluation but for now the 77’s would get the call in a heartbeat.

So there is the first report. Take away from this is the rifle will shoot relatively well even with me at the controls. The speeds demonstrated at all levels are seriously in the 22-250 level or obviously in reach. No primers looked abused. I’ve always considered those speeds to be the Holy Grail for 22 caliber bullets and I ‘m close to the Promised Land on this one. The 2520 was tiny flattening. I was not seeing any coining to be concerned up and it was non-existent in about 34 loads shot. The bullets were not even close to the lands and this will be corrected. Reamer delivery is next week per PT&G so with luck I’ll have an early Christmas present upper to myself next month once Tactical Ordnance gets a piece of steel on the lathe.

Back to the bench.

Greg

Thanks for the report Greg and all the work you put in. I know for myself I’m very eager about this caliber and it looks like you and Ritch really have something special.

Last edited:
It is exciting. I haven't been this wound up in long time over a new rifle chambering. I'll be doing running data gathering as this plays out with loads Ritch and I shoot and in additiion I'll also be adding any stuff you guys post up. Plus this will be going in my book too as I slowly get it put together.

To show you what I have to deal with in my life to get this done I thought I'd post up what kind of help I get. One of the targets had a tiny extra hit on it and I couldn't figure out for a bit what it was. The answer was looking me right in the eyes. This big boy always helps when he hears paper.

Bcng3Na.jpg

Eight hours of work later put in with spreadsheet additions, LabRadar data labeling, targets measured and pasted up yielded me this sans kitty.

5ksMdfc.jpg

If I could get this kind of help all the time I'd have all my rifles cleaned.

Greg

Originally Posted By: desertcjSo, I realize that this 22 NXS is new and a work in progress but I have to ask. 20 NXS?
Not likely from Ritch or I. We have the 20X6.8 that is nice but in an AR the pressures just won't let it run like you'd like. In a bolt gun it really comes alive.

On plus note CREEDMOOR has a SALE on HAGAR brass RIGHT NO!! About 10% off. Unfortunately their free shipping does not apply.
glare.gif

Greg

Correct me if I'm wrong but I can't imagine 55 grain bullets at over 3,700 feet per second through 1/8 twist is going to be ideal. I would love to see this in a 12 twist.

Last edited:
Except for the groups I posted earlier on I would agree with you. It's very hard to deny success. This new reamer will be even better with the ability to get closer to the lands.

Give old Ritch a call and talk with him. I'm sure he can give you some more data on it.

Greg

I guess that depends what you define success as. Just looking at the pictures on your floor I don't really see any that I would find acceptable for a true Varmint Rifle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223I guess that depends what you define success as. Just looking at the pictures on your floor I don't really see any that I would find acceptable for a true Varmint Rifle.

I'm going to have to agree with you. None of those are what I would consider acceptable 3 shot groups.

While no, it's not dialed into a gnat's behind, they are decent places to start for full load development. It certainly shows potential and the groups posted by Ritch are certainly worthy of note from his 20". With proper load development, I am sure the groups from Greg will shrink. I do not have a dog in the fight, but keep in mind that this is only the 2nd barrel for proofing concept. As Greg mentioned, I bet with the shorter free bore reamer things will tighten up and get even more interesting for the lightweight bullets. While those groups are barely worthy of a "meh" from a tried and true platform such as the venerable 220 swift, 22-250 or even the hot rod 20's, they aren't terrible for being just exploratory for pressure on a brand spanking new cartridge. Not taking sides, just keeping things in perspective.

And my comments are from a purely objective point of view. I'm not trying to run any one's efforts down here, I just dont have much faith in running 55s through an 8 twist since the point of this experiment is speed. In short from a consumer standpoint I sure wouldn't put any money into a hot rod 8 twist 22 caliber.

Last edited:
I agree but they were designed to try powders we've never shot. You have to see what's potentially there. I wasn't going to toast brass just for grins.

The test gave me what I wanted.

Greg

Originally Posted By: varminter .223And my comments are from a purely objective point of view. I'm not trying to run any one's efforts down here, I just dont have much faith in running 55s through an 8 twist since the point of this experiment is speed. In short from a consumer standpoint I sure wouldn't put any money into a hot rod 8 twist 22 caliber.

That's certainly your choice to make, but I dont see anything wrong with the 8 twist as long as the focus is shooting 60-80gr bullets. If you are wanting to shoot 40-60gr then yeah, I'd go with a slower twist for sure. I dont believe that this is over spinning 55gr bullets though? I shoot 55gr bullets at 4000fps through my 1 in 9 twist .243 and it shoots one hole groups.

Originally Posted By: BleedsBlueinteresting...I've seen something like this before with a different name.
I would be interested in a slower twist once available. hopefully with a +2" gas system and heavy flutes. possibly a sporter barrel for hunting.
I know a guy that has some hagar brass laying around.F

Back to the subject of 22NXS

Dear Santa,

I'm not too picky

I would settle for 22" barrel if only rifle length gas system is available .

24" with +2" gas would be nice.

0.75" or 0.875" gas block please

Could I get 10 twist??? 9 max. 12 would do.

Flutes? Lighten it up please

The money is burning a hole in my pocket. no rush No rush at all... Next week would be nice.

Please and thank you

Originally Posted By: GLShooterSanta is at the phone number below. I bet he knows all about the toys and what the elves can do.

Greg

Does Santa reference the Naughty vs. Nice list...asking for a friend
unsure.gif

Back