First Long Kill for the New .243 AI

Verminator2

Last night I went out on top of our haystack and it was quite windy, over 10 mph or so. I saw a rabbit come out and hide in a bush to get out of the wind. I didn't know the range for sure, but I guessed it at around 730. It took me 5 shots, but on the last shot I saw him hump up and then hop off. I went out there, but by the time I got there it was pretty dark and I forgot which bush it was under
blush.gif
I never did find any blood, but the rabbit sure acted like he was hit. I checked my elevation at 11 MOA up.

So this morning I went out again at about 6:20 A.M and it was like 0°....celsius. Anyways, while I was freezing myself on top of the haystack I saw a rabbit hop out in about the same spot as the one last night. I dialed in 11 MOA and held just left of him for the slight wind. I shot and he went down like a rock
laugh.gif
Another one hopped out in almost the same place in a few seconds and I shot at him but all I found was hair. When I went out there to verify the kill I ranged it at 721 yards. My 3rd longest shot, and the longest 1st shot kill
grin.gif
Then I spotted another one at what I guesstimated to be 275. I dialed a half minute and dropped him. When I went out to get him I ranged it at 302, and I saw I hit him a little low. In another post I said that the 107 MKs don't expand much but these 2 had pretty good holes in them. I was shooting my .243 AI on these 2 with 107 SMKs and 45gr. of IMR 4831. It has a McMillan A5 stock, Rem. 700 action, Krieger 1:8" Twist barrel, 20 MOA Picatinny rail, and I stole my dad's Leupold 8.5-25x50 VX-III. Here are the pictures.

The "Hide"

243Ai033.jpg

And the kills

243Ai032.jpg

243Ai029.jpg

thats awesome man long shot on a little ol' rabbit. I shot a praire dog at about 300 yards and they are pretty small i could just imagine what a rabbit at 700+ looking like good kill!

Way to go Verminator! Nice shooting. It is great when you see the fruit of your labor come together, especially for a 1 shot kill at that distance. I'm fire-forming cases for a 6mmAI now so glad to see yours is working so well.Pictures are always nice.

Thanks. Dmax, we went and shot prairie dogs in Wyoming for the first time this summer, it was a blast! I hit one at 780, but it took me 10+ shots lol. They are pretty tough to hit, we didn't get many past 500.

Sidewinder, I was thinking about going with a 6mmAI, but decided on the .243 AI because I could get a barrel cheap and long bullets would fit in a short action. You'll like your 6mmAI I'm sure. What are you shooting with it? If you want explosions try the 87 Vmax at 3500+. I'm going to be trying these 107s on coyotes, then I'll see how the 105 Amaxs will do.

That's awesome. What kind of velocity do you get out of that? I'm a .243 freak. I have both a .243 win. and wssm. I like them for their ability to reach out there and anchor animals. I can't even imagine what the capabilities of an AI would be.
I have a lot of friends who do this to various calibers. This is more confirmation. Good for you.

I love .243 AI, it got me hooked on the 6mms, although I this is the only one I have
grin.gif
I'll be looking for another sometime. I am pushing the 107s at 3220, but got them up to 3300. I did push the 87 Vmaxs at 3500 and the 75 Vmaxs at 3850 in my other barrel with really good accuracy. I'm going to put my other barrel on a different action and just scream it with 58 Vmaxs or 55 NBTs for coyotes/prairie dogs. I'm thinking I should be able to get 4100 or so as I've heard plain 243s going 4000 with them.

Back