First Black Fox Squirrel

Originally Posted By: HideHunterI've got the hide Shelton.. Got tired of dusting mounts years ago.
wink.gif

I don't blame you hah! I only have one mount and it's a turkey wing mount I did myself and it is currently preserved in dust lol.

Shelton

Originally Posted By: HideHunterThat's a beautiful rifle FW.. What make/model?

Thanks HideHunter!
Cooper 57M in 17 HMR with a Leupold VX II 6-18x40.
It's a noggin masher.
grin.gif

Haha it seems that way! That's one of them buy once cry once rifle setups I bet! For me that would be one heavy crying session though lol.

Shelton

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: HideHunterThat's a beautiful rifle FW.. What make/model?

Thanks HideHunter!
Cooper 57M in 17 HMR with a Leupold VX II 6-18x40.
It's a noggin masher.
grin.gif

*Very* nice.. I'll bet that is a shooter - and nice to look at.
wink.gif
Even if you're lucky enough to have several "good" squirrel rifles - everyone deserves one "nice" squirrel rifle.
thumbup1.gif

7873825134_4358b4d436_z.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigdog1Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: bigdog1True fox squirrels are about 3 time the size of the ones presented here.
JD

The red one on the tailgate sure looks like a "true" fox squirrel to me.

Well, It ain't

I could be wrong but I don't think the range of the eastern fox squirrel that we see here extends to Arizona so you may be seeing a much different color variation such as black and white that we don't see in the northeast. Squirrels sure come in some pretty colors.

Originally Posted By: fw707Ohhhhhh yes!!!
tongue_smilie.gif

I'm thinking that might be a 1712 maybe???
grin.gif

Actually it's an old 1422. Built on the right action. A touch heavy but superbly accurate. Even makes me look good.
wink.gif

Sorry we hi-jacked your post, Shelton. I love to talk squirrels and squirrel rifles.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Lol nice looking rifles. But I just use an old ruger 10 22 some one was going to throw away. He lost the clip. So I tore it apart sanded it stained it put a cheap 4x t asco Pronghorn scope bought a 33 round banana clip and became a squirrel slaying Rambo lol.. the whole gun I have 25 bucks into it lol and the 2nd most accurate 22 I have shot. Cant complain. The most accurate was a jc Higgins my dad had. He lost the clip I took it before he threw it away didnt think he cold get a new clip since was so old.. matched up parts with a marlin 80 I do believe. Put 20 bucks into it and sold it for 100 and have regretted it since!

There are certain areas around here that are full of black ones. Seems like around here when you find one there is a bunch, but they are real common. I think I have shot around 10 in 22 years of hunting. Most in my teen years when I small game hunted every day. Up around buffalo NY they are as common as rats. Lol. They are everywhere around Niagara falls.

Thanks hunterknapp16!

Originally Posted By: HideHunterSorry we hi-jacked your post, Shelton. I love to talk squirrels and squirrel rifles.
wink.gif

No worries hidehunter! Keep the side talk coming as far as I am concerned. I like seeing all the nice rifles that you all are using for squirrels especially if they are pictured with squirrels you have taken with them! Very nice rifle by the way, maybe one day I'll stop being a tight a$$ and buy a nice setup but untill then I'll just admire your all's guns lol.

Originally Posted By: shawn@moI have 25 bucks into it lol and the 2nd most accurate 22 I have shot.

Fore sure can't complain about that! Pretty sweet snag!

Shelton

Originally Posted By: shawn@moLol nice looking rifles. But I just use an old ruger 10 22 some one was going to throw away. He lost the clip. So I tore it apart sanded it stained it put a cheap 4x t asco Pronghorn scope bought a 33 round banana clip and became a squirrel slaying Rambo lol.. the whole gun I have 25 bucks into it lol and the 2nd most accurate 22 I have shot. Cant complain. The most accurate was a jc Higgins my dad had. He lost the clip I took it before he threw it away didnt think he cold get a new clip since was so old.. matched up parts with a marlin 80 I do believe. Put 20 bucks into it and sold it for 100 and have regretted it since!

Ain't a danged thing wrong with that. I have a couple 10/22s myself. I think we all know, if you have a gun that is "reasonably" accurate - woodsmanship is waaaaay more important than equipment. But seems after you can count your numbers in the thousands, you're always looking for the USR (ultimate squirrel rifle)
tongue_smilie.gif
. I've had enough of them now - I'm closing in on what I like - and accuracy, beyond my ability to hold it, is one of those things.
wink.gif

this was a fly.. I know - I hit a little right of center - I probably pulled it.
wink.gif

15890851383_4d16532002_z.jpg

lol.. not quite..
wink.gif
actually it was a stable fly. About the size of a house fly but bites. They bite like an alligator and obviously he'd been feeding on someone somewhere. He must have been full as a tick.
smile.gif

I pulled to the left on this one.
wink.gif

9034075334_cc3583b177_o.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: shawn@moThat was a huge fly look at the blood! Musta been a horse fly

Dang shawn, you saying it has to be a big fly for him to hit it?! LOL. Good shooting hidehunter!

Shelton

No lol all the blood that what I was saying it was as lot of blood. And what we call horse fly is the same what you call as stable fly. Im dure he could hit a mosquito at 1000 yards

Back