First 17 Ackley Hornet Pig of 09

I've read a lot about the 17AH, and have thought about getting one built 1 of these days. I've been using the bigger 17's for many years on coyotes and just loved 'em.

I couldn't imagine a better setup for fox than the 17AH and the 25's though. If i were hunting foxes mostly i'd definitely go to that case.

Nice pics and great info guys.

Since the original groundhog that started this thread, the little 17 Ackley Hornet has killed a couple more. It's accuracy is simply amazing. I shot one today that was stretched out, laying on a log that was sticking up out of a bulldozed windrow pile, that had honeysuckle and briars all over the pile. I had a little tiny window to thread that 25 gr Berger Match bullet through the briars and limbs. That guy died so fast that he seriously didn't even have time to slide down off the log. He flinched and died right there, instantly. If he had even wiggled a little, he would have fallen off the log. It was only 117 yards, but it was a tight 117 yards. The bullet went through his shoulder and heart so fast, he just locked up right there.

That rifle amazes me every time I take it out, and this has been going on for two years now come winter.

You're cheatin' yourself out of something special if you've never shot a 17 Ackley Hornet. The recoil of a pellet rifle, with the same sting as a 17 Fireball.

Quote:
You're cheatin' yourself out of something special if you've never shot a 17 Ackley Hornet. The recoil of a pellet rifle, with the same sting as a 17 Fireball.

AMEN!

Got my new Cooper VE out to the range yesterday. I sighted it in using the fire forming loads. Well under MOA groups. I always start off the season using fire forming loads. As the season goes on I'll convert to regular loads. Those dumb PD pups are typically abundant 100-150 yd targets thus the fire form loads work perfectly.

I am a 17AH addict.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You know how I feel about the .17's...Sonny that is a nice looking setup!!!When are you going to break out the fireball?Like the gray fox pic also...Looked like it didnt do any damage at all on those grays!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
When are you going to break out the fireball?

I really need to, but this 17 AH is just so much fun. I tried a new scope on the Ackley this past month and it has really stole my attention/focus. I mounted the Leupold VX3 Illuminated German #4 Dot in 3.5x10x50 and it seems almost impossible to make a bad shot, I know it's possible though. I may have to buy another one and put it on the Fireball, they are awesome scopes, small dot for a non target scope. It covers only 9/10ths of an inch at one hundred yards on 10X. Put it on their eye. Yet it illuminates for low light calling. A good fine precision aiming reticle, but easy to find for target acquisition.

Back