Finished my 6.5 Grendel

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishI loaded up some 123gr SST's for a deer hunt coming up, benchmark / CCI 450 primer, hornady brass.

hit the range today to check that and a couple other rifles. load prints 1.5" high at 100 and dead on at 200, so perfect for where I'll be hunting. longest possible shot there is a bit over 200 and most of it well under 100.

so far I've gotten decent accuracy with 129 and 123 gr SST's, 95gr VMax, 85 gr Sierra varminters and hornady factory ammo with 123gr AMax and SST's.

but I'm really curious to see how the 120 sierras do when I can get them to the range under good conditions.

What was load info on the 95vmax, accuracy and speed?

all of these bullets handloaded I've been able to get sub-MOA, generally around 1/2" at 100

I don't have a chrono so can't verify speeds.

been working with several powders but benchmark when suitable seems to be a pretty easy one for this round.

primers I've used WSR, Fed 205 and CCI 450. Generally have smaller groups overall with 205 or 450's

the 95 VMax in particular has been best with Benchmark in my rifle, but as I recall with 205 primers.

so far, all of this is still in progress. I don't get to the range as often as I'd like.

Originally Posted By: Stu Farishbut I'm really curious to see how the 120 sierras do when I can get them to the range under good conditions.
Might want to watch those soft points in high cap mags. I had some really pug nosed rounds after topping off a 14 rounder numerous times.
Guess the recoil bounced them around.

I use 2520 and get what I was looking for

I've tried N140, Benchmark, AA2520, H4198 and XBR8208.

All gave at least acceptable results with 1 or more bullets.

Originally Posted By: Rhett SteeleLooking forward to range report. Been looking at BCA 6.5 gren uppers.

I would keep looking elsewhere. They have had a lot of trouble with their 6.5grendel barrels recently. I had a barrel that wouldn't shoot better than 9.5" at 50yds. Took 2 months to get a refund. A bit of a poop show. There is a group buy over on 6.5grendel forum for barrels. I bought one of the 18" bbls and it shoots really well. Waiting on the 12.5" bbls to come back in stock and I am building another upper.

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry75Originally Posted By: Rhett SteeleLooking forward to range report. Been looking at BCA 6.5 gren uppers.

I would keep looking elsewhere. They have had a lot of trouble with their 6.5grendel barrels recently. I had a barrel that wouldn't shoot better than 9.5" at 50yds. Took 2 months to get a refund. A bit of a poop show. There is a group buy over on 6.5grendel forum for barrels. I bought one of the 18" bbls and it shoots really well. Waiting on the 12.5" bbls to come back in stock and I am building another upper.
Thanks for the heads up!

Welp, I was able to get out and shoot my 6.5 grendel the other day finally. I went through 2 boxes of shells, fairly quickly. My main objective was to put rounds down the tube for break in. I was pleasantly surprised to have my last 5 rounds of the day go into a .9" group at 100 yards. This was with a 24" 6.5 grendel upper from BCA and factory 123 grain sst. I did try the 123 eld-m but I wasn't really taking my time with those.

I have read mixed reviews on BCA, but lately most of the stuff I have read has been decent. Many of the people shooting BCA gear have said their accuracy starts to improve after putting 150 rounds or so down the tube.

I should also add that the trigger in my 6.5g is the trigger that I pulled out of my DPMS lower. I chhanged out the springs for a 3.5# JPE spring set. It pulls much nicer now, but it does still have the obligatory 1/2 mile creep that is associated with mil spec triggers. I ordered an adjustable grip screw to see if I can't take out some of that creep. once I get that in I'm sure my groups will tighten up a bit more.

Back