Finally I get to say it...WOLF DOWN!!!!!

Thank you everyone for all the kind words!!

I dropped the wolf off at the taxidermist tonight, and got a pleasantly surprising weight of 148lbs, so it was bit larger than we had originally thought...Now, it will be a long year or so waiting to get it back, but well worth the wait as this taxidermist does excellent work on all canines and cats.

Someone had asked if I had considered calling for wolves...YES, I have called them out previously (3 times now to be exact), but I missed on one opportunity, a friend missed on the other chance, and one time we got busted and never got off a shot (2 times responded to howling, 1 time to mouth call elk in distress). I have also done a couple dozen blank stands for them as well. The reason I chose to stalk this wolf the whole way, is that I have not found them to be particularily responsive to calling, so I just decided to move in and see what happens. If he wouldn't have been there, then I would have tried calling (like we did on the first wolf of the day), but I didn't want to risk spooking it by calling without first seeing the stalk through (as i have only very limited experience with calling wolves, I am more confident in my stalking than calling abilities with them, an experienced wolf caller may have done things differently).

Anyway, thank you all again very much, and good luck to everyone (this colder weather, up here anyway, should really get things moving)!!

Last edited:
WOW Great wolf you shot there. I'd be SMILING for a month.
What does it take for a US citizen to come to Canada and be able to hunt wolfs. Do we need an outfitter or guide or can it be a do it yourself deal.
I really want a wolf, that is my next dream hunt.
Tarey

That is a beautiful animal you got there. One less to bother with. Getting a wolf would be wonderful and I hope to have the opportunity some day. Congratulations.
thumbup.gif

WOW! 148 lbs is a big wolf.
thumbup.gif

Are you getting a rug or full mount done?

Here's a full mount I got done a couple years ago.

P1010014.jpg

I like the rugs too.

300magman, I don't know how this got past me, but that wolf is awesome! You just accomplished something I only dream about at this point. Great looking wolf!!!

Originally Posted By: 300magmanI dropped the wolf off at the taxidermist tonight, and got a pleasantly surprising weight of 148lbs,

That is a majistic animal for sure. Hope he got his genes spread out there.

Originally Posted By: RedfrogWOW! 148 lbs is a big wolf.
thumbup.gif

Are you getting a rug or full mount done?

Here's a full mount I got done a couple years ago.

P1010014.jpg

I like the rugs too.

Yeah, I knew he was a big one about a mile into the drag, haha!

I'm getting a full mount done...rock base, pine and grass vegetation, and elk shed (if i can find one, if not, muley shed will have to do), a bit of snow and ice...should be a great cenetrpiece to the trophy room! I have seen that mount of yours somewhere before, maybe on the local forum, but I really like it and thought very hard about getting something similar. But becasue I already have a yote at the taxi, I decided not to spend the extra $'s by adding a yote (that will have to wait for another day).

Thanks again everyone!

Congrats, great story and pics. Spending time hunting with your dad is priceless, especially a successfull hunt. What a huge head that black monster has!!!! Great job.

Congrats I am very happy for you. Tell the old man I said good luck. I don't blame him for wanting to go to Palm Springs. That is how us retired types deal with a long winter.

Back