Finally got one to come in

EFR

I've shot half dozen coyotes over the years, mostly deer hunting (one with a bow). I started calling in ernest last year. 25+ stands, and....nothing. Called a small one in one afternoon, but never saw it. Saw the fresh tracks in the snow when I walked out. I went out with a friend of mine (a REALLY good coyote hunter) twice and we called three in at once (took one) and two at once the second time (took one again). Got up early today and set up in a nice overgrown field....nothing. Second stand was across road to cut corn field. Set Foxpro up on knoll in some brush about 60 yds in from woods. I set up standing on a stone wall behind a tree (needed the height) about 100 yds cross wind. I was using rabit distress calls when I saw this bobcat low crawling in. I took him at about 90 yards when I had an open shot. I was pretty excited, but worried what a .204 40 gr bullet would do. Bullet dropped him right there, no mess. I'm pretty excited over it.

022.jpg

Last edited:
EFR--Congratulations on bagging that bobcat!!! Fabulous job of calling and great shooting. Are you going to sell the hide or have it mounted or made into a rug?

Thank you for all the kind comments. I don't know what he weighed, I don't have a scale. I have 4 days to check him in, and if I get a weight, I will let you know. I am getting him mounted. I am in the process of finding a good taxidermist now. Thanks again and good luck!

I completed my fifth stand tonight. Still haven't seen or heard a coyote. But.....I called in another bobcat tonight. Different location from last, overgrown field surrounded by woods. Much darker than one I shot. I did 15 minutes of rabbit distress, on and off and had just switched to coyote vocals when I saw the cat. Cat came to within 20 yds of mojo and sat like a dog. I gave him some mouse squeakers and excited hen yelps. Never moved. Ten minutes later he wandered off. I did not shoot him. I have one I'm taking to taxidermist. We don't have a whole lot of cats around here. Kind of bittersweet but I'm glad I let him go.

Now, how do I call in a coyote! Not gonna let any of them walk!

Nice looking (large) bobcat compared to the few a couple of my friends have taken. I still have never even seen a bobcat..ever, but it keeps my interest.
Maybe there are more cats than you think, and why you have not seen more coyotes? just wondering out loud

Really a nice cat! Letting the second one walk was a good move. No need to get gready. I just don't have the hate for cats like I do coyote I guess lol.

Back