Finally got my 243 AI

pyscodog

Got a phone call about 4:00 yesterday afternoon and my gunsmith called telling me to come pick up my pretty, new Hart barreled action. Ike hit Tulsa about mid-afternoon and it was raining cats and dogs, but that wasn't stopping me. An hour in the pouring rain and I was there. Man what a beauty. If the guns shoots as good as it looks, it will be AWESOME!! Another hour in the rain and I was home. Spent the rest of the evening assembling the rifle to the stock and mounting the scope, rings and bases and wiping the drool of the barrel. The rifle has a 1/9 twist,If you folks got some good loading data, feel free to pass it on, I'm really not sure where to start. Kinda lean toward the heavier bullets, 80 grainers and up. I'd post some picks, but I still have'nt figured that out yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

The 243AI is really cool, I've always wanted one I've got a 22-250AI and 25-06AI. Enjoy it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
DEF

Nice!!! Get some pictures up! I have had real good luck with 75gr. Vmaxs and Sierra 85gr. HPBT. The BC sucks on the Sierra, but it shoots VERY good.

I'm still waiting on my 243AI to come back from the smith. It's a 1-9"tw as well. I'll be running 105VLD's, and 105A-max's. Hoping for 3200fps with R-22. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I was leaning towards the 105's myself, mainly cause I shoot them out of my 6x284 and have a bunch of them.I also use R22 so I got the main ingredients already on the shelf. I don't mind giving up a bit of FPS for some accuracy.I don't savy computer language(after all, I'm from Okla.)so the picture thing is still out of my realm. If my son would stay home long enough, I'd get him to help me, and I'd post a few pics.

Brad, that the same smith we talked about before on the Hide?

I'm getting the itch for a 243AI as well, but need to take care of a few things first...

Quote:
If you folks got some good loading data, feel free to pass it on, I'm really not sure where to start.

With AI cartridges, you generally start at the max load of the parent cartridge, and work up.

Quote:
Brad, that the same smith we talked about before on the Hide?

I'm getting the itch for a 243AI as well, but need to take care of a few things first...

The smith in Wisconsin. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and he says he's been having some lathe problems. I've heard way too many good stories to offset my one unmet quote time. Regardless of the issues though, the time frame quoted wasn't met by a longshot (no pun intended).

I've got a 300WSM there for a recrown and a trigger, and he told me the same thing about his lathe. Guess he ended up getting a whole new lathe and returning his other one.

He's a few weeks past his quoted date with me as well. Just hoping it gets here soon, as I have some TSX loads to work up.

Let me know how yours comes out, if it's a shooter I may just have to send him some other work. I've heard too much good stuff as well, after I knew who to ask about!

Thanks for the info...

Ackleyman- I've been shooting 105 Bergers in my 6-284, its got an 8 1/2 twist. Accuracy is just fair. 1 1/4 inchs at 300 yds. Do you think maybe its too much bullet?

Pyscodog

Quote:
LOL....

I think everyone should order a custom rifle... talk about learning PATIENCE !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ha....You ain't kiddin' brother, just glad this isn't my first one, otherwise I would be just a little bit mad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:
brdeano, you may need an 8" twist to shoot those VLD bullets you mentioned.

You will be able to shoot the Berger 95g VLD.

I'd talked to quite a few guys who were running the 105Amax out of factory Rem 243, they have a 1-9.125" twist so I am pretty happy with my odd's of slinging the 105's through a cut-rifled 1-9"twist at Ackley speeds, figuring on 3200 in my 24"er, a friend it getting 3260fps via 47gr of R-22 in his 26" 243AI that was cut with the same reamer from the same smith, his barrel is an 1-8.7" though since he plannded on running the 115's.....if not, then I will go the 95gr route that you mentioned. Planning on the 105's though. Hoping for 3K rounds of barrel life too....I just hope I'm not asking for too much...(grin)

OKBrent- The smith I used was in Bartlesville OK. Hes a retired gentleman and an avid shooter. Very resonable on his prices also. I requested a 1/9 twist hart barrel. I received the barrel, action was squared, bolt face squared(trued), bolt cone was a bit egg shaped so he trued it, then matched it to the barrel,chambered it in 243 AI, and put what he calls a mini-scroll finish on the barrel. $445.00 complete. He is a avid P.D. hunter as well as big game also. Several friends use him and really like his work. He's also an ex bench rest shooter. All work is documented so you know exactly what was done to your firearm. All measurement, such as how much he took off the face of the receiver to square it is documented. You get recepts for your down payments and work to be performed as well as one that tells you what he did. If you want to us him, let me know, I'll send you his number.

Pyscodog

Back