favorite varmit to shoot

The Willamette Valley in Oregon is infested with nutria. They are in every channel, pond, and the Willamette River is full of them, too. You can walk right past them while they are kicking it three feet from the bike path in town sometimes.
I know of a channel that is full of them and you can see several per 1/4 mile if you are looking. That is until you get to where you can legally shoot them; then they seem to disappear (I think they got educated along that stretch).
I guess there were several nutria farms around here back when farming nutria for furs was profitable. That's where they came from. They make a great test-bed for bullets.

BUTCHER45

squirrels, coons and crows. which ever is in season,
Maine has no closed season on red squirrels or coyotes, so that's my summer time fun, Crow season in now (august and sept.)

Prairie dogs, I have to drive three miles to the first town I hunt, then seven miles to the second town. Is that why I have a flock of prairie dog rifles ??

Quote:
Agree
I go up to the Cooperstown NY area
Anyone have any varmint experiences there

I have not shot that area, but from the maps, it looks like ripe farm country... is it productive?

Where in Joisey are you... it looks like a long haul for you.

Quote:
I have to include coyotes as a varmint. That's number one on the list then Ground squirrels. These coke bottle size rodents are small targets and can be hard to hit at long ranges.

I'm with IDBob on this one. Coyotes REALLY get my adrenaline going but gophers.....I dream shooting them, hundreds of them....I close my eyes and all I see is gophers. When you see a dozen of them standing tall in your scope...Oh how I love those little buggers.

Quote:
Quote:
Agree
I go up to the Cooperstown NY area
Anyone have any varmint experiences there

I have not shot that area, but from the maps, it looks like ripe farm country... is it productive?

Where in Joisey are you... it looks like a long haul for you.

About 160 miles
I am in No Jersey ,6 mi from the NY Boarder

PD, PD ,PD , PD ,PD, PD, PD, PD and more PDs
I am afraid the ranchers will poison them off before I get to shoot them all.
I think it is my moral responsibility to explod them in lieu of them being poisoned off.
I dream of shoothing PD at a 1000 yds
Unfortunately that distance [ for me ] is only a dream

I'd have to say red squirrels because of the numbers. I started shooting them because they were makeing nest in our (my dad's and mine ) tool chests /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif. My kids like to come with me too it's a cheap easy hunt too 9-10 bucks for a 550 round box of 22lr.shells and your off. I also use my coaxer for yote hunting or I'll use my 17 hmr /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif that does a number on a tree rat. AND you can hunt them year round. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I like shooting anything that has four legs,flys,[beeep]##s, or swims but the last is only with a bow! O and none of my neighbors have cats anymore.

The nutrias inhabit the banks of the canals in Louisiana, or so I'm told.The drill is to shoot them at night from a Jon boat, with .22 automatics.

I prefer to shoot stuff like PD's because of the range and the equipment used. I would shoot the nutrias if the opportunity came up.

HM

Democrat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

The last 3 letters do spell rat.....don`t they????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back