Favorite hand call

My favorite would have to be an old discontinued Lohman that I have tinkered with just a tad. I added a short piece of steers horn to the end .
When I saw your calls Rich I wondered if you added the horn and bone for the same reason as I have.
I was tired of blowing sounds out of hard plastic , non living materials.
I realize that bone and horn are not "living" but yet in a way they are. I think that they mellow the tone just a hair, give it perhaps a little more "organic"tone.
I may be wrong and it probably doesent make a dang bit of difference to a coyote, but it does to me. I like the sound , and I like the feel.
Enjoyment of what you are doing has to be at least half of your measure of success, should it not?

Craig,
You are pretty much on the money. I first started making my own calls because of the challenge, and the added pride of fooling coyotes with calls I made myself. The cow horn and the deer antler do in fact have a sound of their own. I also agree that the coyotes probably don't really care what the call is made out of. My hottest selling call right now is made from plastics, so go figure.
smile.gif

My favorite call,thats an easy one.Its one I made myself from an old antler by following the instruction in a old copy of the trapper and predator caller.The auther was some old fart named Rich something I cant remeber
wink.gif
.......Later

------------------
Meats

I'll be the odd man out (hey, we all have our talents!
smile.gif
) and put in a vote for the Circe P2. Plastic n' all, it has treated me well.

I don't have an R. Cronk call - that and one of Al Lux's calls will be added next year. Had better get one of Jay's while I'm at it.

Right now my favorites are Sceery AP-6 and Howler. I plan to get Cronks, Al Lux's, and Jay's next year too.
biggrin.gif
I blew my budget this year on a FoxPro.
tongue.gif
Now if it would just get here
mad.gif

tcoop

For a rabbit type sound probably the Tally ho and the critter call pee wee; for a deer type sound the new critter call that has 4 sections; for howlers the Bill Austin series for sure.

Azwill--speaking of "suckin up to management" when is the pro staff going to provide all these moderators that are bustin' their shorts off on these forums with a new phantom digital caller so we can evaluate the newest technology against our standby stuff in various parts of the country?

How am I doing so far guys?

Well Steve you guys are bustin yer buns considerably harder than I am, however let that not stop you in yer efforts on my behalf!
Bravo! not to mention one heck of an idea.

Thats a good one Steve Allen, thats a good one I like that idea.
smile.gif

OK i need to ask the Fred & Rich to send me a book on your callers this way i can try to market them here in Texas.

jchaparro1@juno.com

------------------
Jason's Gun Room
Quialty Custom Gunsmithing

Rich,
Actually I do have several of the "other" Cronk calls. One of his Jackrabbit calls I was able to monkey with it a little and turn it into a great bear cub distress call. I have heard one of your as well and it sounds like a great bear call too. The Tally-Ho is a great little call as well, as is any of the great Bill Austins.
Steve

------------------
www.azpredatorhunts.com

Nebraska coyote hunter--The Austin howlers are a real challenge until you get the hang of it. First, hold the reed down lightly with your teeth, not your lips. Using your lips will take something away from the sound potential, and the reed will grab your lip making the entire front of your face tingle.

You need to concentrate your work in the outer 1/3 or so of the reed out to toward the tip. Practice making a few barks at about the 1/3 to 1/4 mark from the tip. You'll see what I mean. Once you get it figured out you will really like it.

Then comes the field work. Just keep using it and practicing with it and 1 day the coyotes will start coming. I used to drive down the road with shooting muffs on practicing on the them.

The very 1st time I called any coyotes with it I had 4 of them standing there looking at me within 10 minutes after I started.

That will get your blood boiling!

Ok I got you all beat. I got a Cronk pup distress horn call that Is the best toned call I ever owned.The other favorite is a burnham mini squeler for pup distress and whines.The Bunham Brothers Pro call is nice too. One can climb the reed and get some high tones that is off the scales.

Trapper,
That little cow horn puppy call of yours was a real "limited" edition. There are only five or six of em in existence. I'm glad you like it. Gosh Trapper, I made that thing for you a long, long, long-long, long time ago.
smile.gif

Back