Favorite guns

Yoter don`t want anyone to think I`m bashing a .17 Rem. If my post came across that way I apologize. But with a little over 30 years worth of experience shooting fox with a .17 and factory loaded ammo I don`t think I have seen over a handfull that didn`t have an exit wound. It is usually small, but not always. As for shot placement, a grey fox that won`t stand still in a red lens spotlight at night does not make for precise shooting. As for the 17hmr they work fine if you don`t mind seeing 300$ cats run off and enjoy trying to trail them in the dark. If you could headshoot everything they might be fine. But from what little I have seen the 22 mag is by far a more reliable varmint killer.

Hey billy8point, what do you know, we are the same age. We "ARE" young. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif So your from Ohio, good to know there are others on this fourm my own age. When you turning 16? I'll be 16 in August on the 22nd. Good talking with you.

Cat Wacker Might as well keep this going, sounds like you better sell them rifles and try a shotgun. The Fast 17 WILL do the job on fox, cats and Yotes and if you can't get a clean shot then don't shoot. I don't take bad shots but sometimes I make bad shots.In 28 years with the 17 I've let it down a few times but it has never let me down . The only exit wound in all those years was with a Barnes 25gr soft point(not made anymore).I agree with Rick Jamison on varmint calling when he said drive those hollow points as fast as possible and shoot for the lungs; in but not out.
Yoter again

I will turn 16 on october 1st. So you're older than me. I talk to a bunch of guys from texas on another website.I also like seeing other guys my age.

Well lets see! I guess I start off by listing smaller to the bigger calibers OK.

Marlin .22mag bolt action, 4 power Weaver.

Remington model 40X in .222, 6 x 18 Unertle.

Remington model 700 Bull barrel in .22-250, 3 x 9 Redfield.

Remington model 788 in .22-250, 6 power Weaver.

Remington model 700 in 6mm bull barrel, 6 x 18 Unertle.

Winchester model 70 in 243, 4 power Weaver.

Winchester model 70 in 25-06, 4 x 12 Leupold.

Remington model 70 custom bull barrel in 25-06,
6 x 20 Leupold.

Winchester model 70 custom stainless barrel,
4 x 12 Leupold scope.

Wild Cat, Remington 700 action, heavy barrel custom 270/300 Win mag, 6 x 24 power Leupold.

OK, here goes. Long Range- Rem 700VLS .223 with 6x24 Elite 4200, Close range- Bushmaster AR15 16" flattop with Aimpoint Comp M. Walk around- Rem 700 BDL SS .243 with 4x16x50 Elite 4200.

I feel young to, I was born in 1989!
My fav predator gun is my .303, got a 3x9 elite bushnell scope for it, just not on it yet! its my deer gun and anything other thats bigger game... but sometimes smallgame to if i get bord /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

My most prized possesion is my Ruger M77 MK-II chambered in .308win.
Topped it off with a Burris Fullfield II 4x-14x 44mm, fpx, target knobs, A/O

Currently i feed lead with a 270 winchester shooting 130 ballistic tips at around 3150fps and must i say its absolutely stunning especially at ranges exceeding 375 yards. The scope i use is a bushnell elite 3200 5x-15x40mm with rain-guard protection which also lives up to its name. Coyotes ain't safe within 500 yards with this sub-moa rig, but i want to upgrade to a 22-284.

My primary rifle is a Rem 700 Classic in .17 Remington, shooting factory 25 gr HP. It's topped with a Weaver 2x10. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

My other rifle is a Savage 111 in .223 topped with a Redfield 4x12. I shoot 40 grain Nosler BT's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

My shotgun in a Mossberg Camo Turkey in 12 guage and I feed it 2 3/4 shells, in #4 buck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

All 3 have done me well in a variety of situations. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ok my favorite gun I run to in the past year is the Remington 700VS .308, 6.5-20x50mm W/30mm tube,target knobs, Badger Rings and Base. and its a Leupold scope..
Harris Bipod

I have been reloading for the .308 trying diffrent recipes, bullets are 110 TNT HP, Nosler BT, Hornady SST,etc
The Speer TNT 110 are explosive :eek: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

1. Marlin mod. 60, w/cheap Simmons 3-9x, one ragged hole at 50yds.

2. Rem mod. 722 in .222 w/Weaver K6 (fine hairs w/dot) Sub MOA w/20g. IMR 4198 and 50 V-Max or bulk bullets. Shoots em both real nice. This load clocked 3280fps.

3. JC Higgins 51-L in 30-06, (HVA actoion, made in Sweden) Leo M8-4X. Seems to shoot just about every load I throw at it, from 13g. Red Dot or 15g. Unique plinking loads w/any bullet. To slightly reduced loads like 125g. Sierra in front of 46g IMR 4895 (3/4 MOA), or full strength loads like 57g. IMR 4350 w/165g. Sierra HPBT GK. This one is my BABY in the gun closet.

Yoter, I have to comment just a bit between you and Cat Whacker. We are talking about one's opinion on a rifle, which I respect anyone's opinion, this guy has pretty much lived on a ranch for, well I have only know him for around 11 years, and I know he know's his stuff, especially when it comes to skinning, merely because I have seen his work and I wish I was half the man he was when it comes to skinning. I do like the .17, but I have never seen a "small" hole from a .17, maybe I am just shooting wrong though. You should take up trying to skin the critters yourself and then that might make you think a little harder where the bullet is going in AND going out.

Back