Favorite .17 center fire

Originally Posted By: psdan000I ordered the hornet today, for those of you that may not know, CZ offers a very nice LE/First responder/Military discount.

Did you have to order direct?

Originally Posted By: DoogerOriginally Posted By: psdan000I ordered the hornet today, for those of you that may not know, CZ offers a very nice LE/First responder/Military discount.

Did you have to order direct?

Yes, just email them and they will set you up, it was very easy just have to send them a copy of your ID

Originally Posted By: B23psdan, is it safe to assume you have to be active duty in order to get the discount?

Active or retired I would assume? Here's the criteria they sent me, they just need one of the 3:

1. Copy of Department/military/Retired issued ID card
2. Employment verification letter on department letter head
3. Email from your military or department email address

Good choice! I just got the same rifle (CZ 527 varmint 17 hornet) a couple weeks ago and am loving it so far. Super accurate with a fantastic trigger. It does a number on rock chucks and absolutely obliterates sage rats.

I am just starting down the .17 caliber road myself. I traded into a Bullberry Contender carbine barrel in .17-223. After reading as much as I could about it I called Bullberry and talked to them about it. Ended up ordering a double ended form die from them and a Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension 2-Die Set from Midway. Got it all in and just formed/loaded my first ten rounds today. I was pleasantly surprised how easy the process was, not to mention that my first attempt chambered fine and it looks like I won't have to turn necks unless, possibly, I use military brass. Basically just adding two additional steps compared to loading any other round. I sight my rifle in tomorrow and then I will get down to some serious load development. I really like the .17-223 mainly because I have thousands of rounds of .223 brass and there are literally millions laying around on ranges all over this country.

Originally Posted By: Smokin250Check with Roy, I think we had some brass in the back from Barry.

sweet I didnt know barry had a hornet, although im not surprised. I'm planning to stop by today

Originally Posted By: WeaselCircusGood choice! I just got the same rifle (CZ 527 varmint 17 hornet) a couple weeks ago and am loving it so far. Super accurate with a fantastic trigger. It does a number on rock chucks and absolutely obliterates sage rats.

are you handloading yet or just using factory ammo? I ordered a couple boxes of factory hornady 20gr to try out.

Originally Posted By: DiamondDI am just starting down the .17 caliber road myself. I traded into a Bullberry Contender carbine barrel in .17-223. After reading as much as I could about it I called Bullberry and talked to them about it. Ended up ordering a double ended form die from them and a Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension 2-Die Set from Midway. Got it all in and just formed/loaded my first ten rounds today. I was pleasantly surprised how easy the process was, not to mention that my first attempt chambered fine and it looks like I won't have to turn necks unless, possibly, I use military brass. Basically just adding two additional steps compared to loading any other round. I sight my rifle in tomorrow and then I will get down to some serious load development. I really like the .17-223 mainly because I have thousands of rounds of .223 brass and there are literally millions laying around on ranges all over this country.

Good call....the 17/223 will do everything the 17Rem will but with better brass available....

Personally...I would have gone 17/222 but I'm eccentric.....
frown.gif

Last edited:
Quote:are you handloading yet or just using factory ammo? I ordered a couple boxes of factory hornady 20gr to try out.

Just using the factory 20gr vmax right now. I ordered 10 boxes when I got the rifle and still have a bunch of it to shoot still. I've got the dies and will probably play with some handloads for it over the summer.

I would go with the 17 fireball over any other 17 ..very efficient.. Just my opinion.. I have a heavy MGM barrel and I get 1/2" 5 shot groups consistently @ 100 yrds..it's hard to shoot as any movements on my part really show up on the targets.. especially at 200yrd. I have about 400 rounds through this barrel and it shoots it's best after it gets nice and dirty..perfect toy for a reloader..not so good if your factory dependent.
I form cases from lapua 221 fireball case, then neck turn and anneal.
I'm using 25 gr. Hornady varmint bullets and reloader 10x powder with a REM 7 1/2 BR primer

Last edited:
I have or have had the three factory 17s, sold the 17 Remington and shoot the 17 Hornet much more than the 17 Fireball. Just a real fun little cartridge.

Originally Posted By: Blackhawk43I have or have had the three factory 17s, sold the 17 Remington and shoot the 17 Hornet much more than the 17 Fireball. Just a real fun little cartridge.

Now hush up about that little round! I have to save my money for old(er) age!
smile.gif

If the .17 Hornet would do everything that my .17 Remington would do I might just be looking at one real hard. But it wont and it never will so looks like a .17 HMR and a .17 Remington will remain the only .172 calibers in my safe.

Originally Posted By: Blackhawk43You just as well go ahead and try one, you know you will eventually.

If I run across a really good deal on one then just maybe I will. I do have more than one nice scope laying around looking for a new home.

Originally Posted By: Blackhawk43I also have a 17 HMR, it will be the next one to go down the road. I can load the Hornet cheaper than buying shells for the HMR.

Wont be selling mine! I have an almost stock Ruger 77/.17 with a Volquartsen barrel on it. Every year in Wyoming it accounts for many dozen prairie dogs. It a a lot of fun and it amazes me how deadly it can be.

And I wish that I could reload for $10 per 50 rounds. Figuring in brass and primers and powder and bullets I dont see how you can reload those Hornets any cheaper than that.

Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: Blackhawk43I also have a 17 HMR, it will be the next one to go down the road. I can load the Hornet cheaper than buying shells for the HMR.

Wont be selling mine! I have an almost stock Ruger 77/.17 with a Volquartsen barrel on it. Every year in Wyoming it accounts for many dozen prairie dogs. It a a lot of fun and it amazes me how deadly it can be.

And I wish that I could reload for $10 per 50 rounds. Figuring in brass and primers and powder and bullets I dont see how you can reload those Hornets any cheaper than that.

I gave the 17 HH a lot of thought before I bought my 17 WSM and, for me, the deciding factor was I shoot sage rats a lot and to make the 17 HH affordable I'd have to take the time to save brass so I could reload it, but with either my 17 HMR or 17 WSM, I just let the spent brass fly and rack another round as fast as I can. As competitive as we get when we're shooting sage rats, if I had to worry about saving my brass, forget about it, the people I shoot rats with would have them already shot before I could get back on one. Pretty much once the area goes hot, the whole family and friends thing goes right out the window. lol

I love all the .17 Cal. There just so cool. Fun to reload, amazingly accurate, and barrel life is good.
The one thing I like about the .17 fireball is I have a 221 fireball, so I have plenty of brass on hand..is an accurate rifle cheap?.. No, is reloading and shooting a cheap hobby?.. No ( not any more)..Its a lot of fun to see what you can do with the .17's on a windy day..I will be selling a rifle or two to fund my next .17 Cal project..

Back