Faster twist 204 Ruger

I was going to tell everyone good luck finding a TC in .204, until I realized this thread is a few years old.

I am interested in sierra's 36 BK. I have a whole bunch of 40 NBT and cant get my 1:12 Browning to shoot them well. It shoots 32 Grain Dogtown very well.

My Rem 700 SPS Varmit (12 twist) shot the 39 BK very well, 3/8" and the 40 gr VMax just a little bigger, say 5/8". Never fooled with lighter bullets as I was getting 3850 fps with BLC2 and 3775-3800 fps with Varget. BLC2 grouped a little bit better than Varget.

If a guy wanted to shoot exclusively 40 gr and up I d guess a 10 twist would be your best bet.

I ended up purchasing a T/C Venture Predator in 204R. Mine has no issues with the 32 or 40 grain bullets. The 36 grain bullet sounds interesting.

It's my understanding that those TC rifles have a 10 twist barrel, which is what Berger's twist calculator says is best for their 40 grain hollowpoint. I wish others would've followed suit and got the twist right, but that's par for the course in the production world.

You are correct the T/C has a 1:10 twist. I agree, I think it is better if you want to shoot 40 grain bullets.

I load 40 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips for it. Also load 32 grain Hornady V-Max as a light load with H4895. The factory 32 grain Hornady Superformance loads shoot really well. A buddy of mine shot a tiny 5 shot group with my T/C and factory Hornady 32 grain factory loads.

I think manufacturers should make 37 grain versions of their 40 grain bullets for the 1:12 twist rifles.

Another buddy of mine who lives in central Virginia has shot over 60 coyotes with his T/C Venture Predator 204R just using the factory 32 grain Superformance loads. He says they work well. The coyotes in Virginia are large many are red wolf hybrids.

I use 26 gr Hornady ,and 32 gr Blitz King and V-Max in my Thompson,drops all coyotes in their tracks out to 300 yards.If I want to shoot a yote at 1/4 mile,the 39 gr Blitz King,and 32 gr V-Max will do it,with their high BC.My guess is the TC in 204 is the most underrated rifle out there,it will shoot with the best.

I put a 1:10” on my 22” AR, using a custom BHW barrel. Wish I would have had it threaded at the time instead of target crowned - it barks pretty loud, sure would be nice to put a can out front. I almost exclusively shoot the 40’s, but admittedly, I’ve spent a lot more time the last year shooting 243 LBC than 204 - and I’m usually not one to shoot lighter-for-caliber bullets in anything.

Originally Posted By: rkite Does anyone make a 204 Ruger in 11 or faster twist? Seems most of the over the counter rounds are 32 or 40 grain V-Max. I've heard enough stories about 40 grain bullets not stabilizing in a 12 twist barrel.

I shot 32 AND 40gr 204's interchangeably in my 1:12, 24in barreled AR-15. I think ammo selection can have a lot to do with instability in a given bullet. I have not been impressed with Hornady's Superformance line of 204's. The accuracy is not nearly what I used to see out of their Custom Line.

That being said, I run a 1:11 on my 18in AR today and have no problems stabilizing even 45gr projectiles.

In the old days you could find 1:12, 11, 10 and even 1:9 twist rates in the 20 cal barrels. I do not know of any "major" manufacturer doing much beyond a 1:12 and 11 these days.

Hornadys Superformance shoots like [beeep] out of my 1/10 twist Thompson Center,the NTX 24 grain 204 is totally devastating on coyotes,never fails.Thompson got it right with the 1/10 twist.

Back