Face paint and predator hunting.

Originally Posted By: tripod3I have a ball cap with a camo net sewn on that hangs down. I cut a hole in the net for handcalls.
I have had coyotes stare me down from under 10 feet without it and under 2 feet with it.
My success went up when I started wearing one over a decade ago and often wear it in the truck for calling and hunting.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-M...mp;gclsrc=aw.ds

Does that help them not see the vehicle?
If so, I've gotta get me one of those.

I have problems with my glasses fogging when I'm walking in as well; once I settle in that's not usually a problem. Plan to cut the face net off the hat on one side and add velcro so that I can pull loose to remove glasses for cleaning. Ear muffs further complicate that problem but having net fastened on one side only should help a bunch.

Regards,
hm

I usually cant wait for them to get in close enough to matter... before I blast em.....
smile.gif

Okie, mine is loose net with wire in top of nose piece you bend wire to suit. Put whole loose net over head then put your cap on OVER it. Google (hunters specialties,face mask ) about $5 it is the best I have found.

Originally Posted By: crapshootOriginally Posted By: tripod3I have a ball cap with a camo net sewn on that hangs down. I cut a hole in the net for handcalls.
I have had coyotes stare me down from under 10 feet without it and under 2 feet with it.
My success went up when I started wearing one over a decade ago and often wear it in the truck for calling and hunting.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-M...mp;gclsrc=aw.ds

Does that help them not see the vehicle?
If so, I've gotta get me one of those.

Yes it magically disappears.
I have found that without the facenet it must be like a tv screen. One move and they are on it, with the net on I have gotten away with movement and some pretty close kills.
I'm also convinced the truck color contrast plays a factor.

Originally Posted By: hm1996I have problems with my glasses fogging when I'm walking in as well; once I settle in that's not usually a problem. Plan to cut the face net off the hat on one side and add velcro so that I can pull loose to remove glasses for cleaning. Ear muffs further complicate that problem but having net fastened on one side only should help a bunch.

Regards,
hm

I suspect yours resembles this,
http://www.davisbigandtall.com/Camo-Boon...AyABEgIW4_D_BwE
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/...ASABEgJ9_PD_BwE

I considered that style because rotating your head is less detectable.
With the ball cap style I can wear ear muffs and a stocking hat over the cap and there is nothing in front of the eyes.

Actually, Mark, my net is more like your cap with cutout for glasses and the net only covers about 200* or so (back of head/neck not covered).

I can wad it up in the top of the hat when not in use. I put snaps on the brim on each side (like the Aussie hats) to clear my ear muffs.

Some medications I take cause me to perspire with the least exertion, even on cool days so glasses fog up when I walk any distance. What with the net over glasses and muffs over net makes it difficult to keep glasses clear.

I'm likin' your cap and may give that a try, cut net loose on one side and use Velcro to fasten when in use. This would make glasses cleaning a lot easier, I think.

The ones that have netting 360* would not work as well as the one I have, I don't believe.

Regards,
Clarence

Face paint or not, they see you move they're gone. Used to wear a facenet attatched to my hat. Don't bother anymore. Just wear a hat and it works fine

Originally Posted By: 3DHUSKERI usually cant wait for them to get in close enough to matter... before I blast em.....
smile.gif

Haha. I usually have trouble with them seeing the white of my eyes, because they run too close, I think my facepaint must be workin well
wink.gif

Ive never been a fan of the facepaint. Its just seems like it has as much shine as skin does. Ive never worn it for that reason and the fact that a facemask can be taken off as soon as im done hunting and dont have to clean it off.

I wonder how much a mask helps if it has cutouts for glasses. Won't the light glare off them defeat the purpose?
I have the same problem as many here, glasses fogging up, can't see well enough through the mask.

Of course the best solution is to quit hunting into the sun. I still screw that up once in a while.
Maybe I'll cut a hole for eyes in mine and give it a try.

Back