Exciting Hunt

DoubleLungRage

I have permission to hunt this small 66ac tract of land not far from my house. The land consists of 4-5 year old planted pines with one main (straight) road running all the way across the entire property. I've hunted it a few times and heard 3-4 different packs of coyotes every time, but none of them would ever commit and come in. I figured I would try baiting them so I put out some dog food and call lure. A few days later these three found the dog food and made short work of it. I go back a few days later and put out some more and they came back and repeated. So this past weekend I was sitting at the house not planning to hunt due to the weather and my camera sent me a picture of them on the dog food. Even though it was nearly 1:30am I was up so I threw on my clothes grabbed everything and went out the door. I have the dog food at the very opposite end of the property as the gate so it's about 400 yards from the gate. I sneak up to the gate then walk about 100 yards down the road towards the dog food. At this point it had been ten minutes since I got a picture of them so I didn't know where they were. I got everything set up and turned on the call, I think it was cagie cottontail. About 3 seconds later I look through my thermal scanner and see the coyotes and they were already on top of me. I think what happened is that they were already walking down the road towards the gate so when they heard the call they took off at a full sprint. I hurry up and turn on the IR light and look through my scope. By this time all three were already within 100yards and coming hard. I waited for them to at least kind of slow down, but they never did. Before I knew it they were 50,40,30, then bam.... the lead coyote slams on brakes and throws sand in my face. You could hear the sand "tinging" as it hit my tripod. He actually went by me about 10ft then turned around and all three of them took off down the road. I shot at one of them running away, but missed. All three of them then went into the small pines. I hurried up and got my remote out of my pocket and played a vocal, I don't even know what I played. Just then one of them popped out of the pines and into the road at around 100-120 yards. I settled the cross hairs and popped it's heart. Of course I didn't hit the record button... I mean who does that on hunts that no one would believe unless they were recorded? Ended up being a good sized male. .223 Norma TipStrike 55gr.

heartshot1.JPG

heartshot2.JPG

heartshot.jpg

Pretty great! Gotta love those unplanned, quick hunts. Especially when they produce results. Nice shooting!

My closest encounters always seem to happen during spring turkeys season. There’s been a few but the absolute closest was pretty dang close! Got setup tight on a gobbler in the dark right on the lip of a ridge. Sitting in the dark as the woods we’re just turning from black to gray I hear something coming from the bottom up towards me in the leaves. Figuring it was a deer I just sat there to see the show. A coyote crests the lip crazy close and proceeds to head straight at me at a trot and pass by my right shoulder within a foot! It never broke stride like it smelled me so must have been my upwind side. I smelled it though! Pretty cool and just a little unnerving! Lol.

Close is not even a good description of that. exciting for sure.
Lesson learned--scanner and gun ready 1st then the call.

Failing to hit record COULD get you banned from here. Not likely cause I am still here lololololol.
Congrats on another dead.

Back