Everything's not bigger in TX so Byron heads East!

Rod,

Thanks for posting the pictures. I had a great time as I do anytime we get together.

Nasa,

I've been saying the same thing for years. I don't live far from Rod over in East Texas and our coyotes over there are rather large too. Quiet different than the West or South Texas coyotes, but they come to the call the same way.

Here are a few pictures I lifted off the video we shot.

This is the first coyote of the morning. He was the lead coyote in a triple that came. The other two didn't appear mangy but I new Rod would be on the lead dog so I shot him to record the kill on video. The other two bugged out never offering a shot.
DSC00798.jpg

This is the coyote decoy as it was set out on our second stand of the morning. We were only about 600 yards from our first stand. There was a strip of tall grass and thin trees about 15 yards wide that seperated two fields. I put the caller hanging in a small tree in this strip between the field and placed the decoy on the downwind side of the strip facing the caller. We were facing this strip so we would have a view of both fields.
DSC00800.jpg

After only seconds this coyote comes blazing in from our up wind side (left).
DSC00802.jpg

I hit the mute button in hopes it would slow him up or stop him. He kept coming, but shortly after it's aparent that he spotted the decoy and come to a screeching halt.

DSC00804.jpg

DSC00806.jpg

I put it right on his shoulder and let it fly. Down he went.
This is a picture of a coyote kissing his butt goodbye. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
DSC00810.jpg

Here is a couple of pictures to get an idea to his size.
DSC00794.jpg

DSC00811.jpg

I'm not sure how many pictures are allowed per post so I'll post the pig pics in the next post.

Here is the group of pigs we spotted after lunch.

DSC00813.jpg

A few moments after Rod shot another group stepped out of the woods. There were four or five Big sows in this bunch and several more smaller pigs.
DSC00816.jpg

Hogs are very prolific and reak havac on many ranches and farms. It is SOP to shoot them on sight on many of the places I we hunt.

Thanks again Rod. I had a great time.

Byron

Last edited:
Great photos Byron, what are you thinking about that coyote decoy so far???

Why do you think that incoming dog stopped dead, scared, cautious, wanting to size the decoy up??

I think the decoy will come in handly later in the season.

Rod let us know when you start poking that Dillon doll. I want to record it for my FX5....I like the sound of it already, Dillon in Distress.

Actually I better lay low he called on the cell the other day while we were hunting too and he was nice enough not to put the curse on me.

Congrats on the big dog, way to go Byron that was a lot bigger than what we showed you in California.

Not sure what I think of the decoy. I'm sure it will account for some interesting behavior. It will probably lure a few but may also spook a few. It sure made this one put on the breaks. If I would have held my fire he might have given me more of an indication of what he might do. Thing is he might also have just turned tail at any second and run like a scalded ape. Experience has taught me that when a coyote gives the opportunity to shoot then you better shoot. Thats what I did. If I hadn't he might have bowed up and approached which would have been cool. This however is not an indication that the next one or twenty would do the same thing. Lets say it spooked him into the next county. Again this is not an indication the next one or twenty would do the same thing. In short I believe it will help at certain times and in certain set-ups and could hurt in others. Just another tool so to speak. Jury is still out on the decoy but I believe it will be fun to play with and isn't that whats it's all about.

Byron /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mike,

"Dillon in distress" that funny.

I still had large fun hunting with you guys out there. Looking forward to coming back next year.

Back to the decoy.... I believe it will work it's best in wide open country. Most of the stuff I hunt is pretty tight. In these confined places I believe it would probably spook more than it would hold or lure closer. In the more open terrain I believe it would have a better chance of working as a decoy to lure a coyote or dirrect or hold a coyotes attention. I plan on using it some more this year before I decide whether or not I will ad it to my bag of tools.

Byron

Thanks Byron, I too think it will be interesting to use that in open country... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Mr. South,

I have enjoyed your videos, and it sounds like your new one is going to be a good one as well. I will have to look into that coyote decoy before I go out west again. Is it hard to carry around?

Thanks for sharing the hunt!

Josh

Last edited:
Rod and Byron,

Thanks for sharing your hunt. Sounds like you two had a great time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

NASA might be right. That coyote looks like he might have some red wolf blood in him. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Whoever asked about the rifle is probably right but then what's actually been new in the AR world lately? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

I like the configuration a lot though.

$bob$

tatonka,

Lots of people think the same thing but no the R-15 is not a BM Predator with Remingtons name on it. There are many differances but the most notable are the barrel lenths and contour. The R-15 comes with a slimmer, lighter button rifled barrel in either 18" or 22". Much lighter rifle. There are several other things that are different but they are more subtle. Short answer is, yes Bushmaster helped, but, the rifle is all Remington. Both companies are owned by the same people so of course they pooled their resources. If Busmaster starts bulding a bolt rifle I would hope they would consult Remington.

Cyanide,

Thanks. I'm glad you like the DVDs.

The decoy is very light and come with a blaze orange strap to help carry it around. It is kind of cumbersome but not bad.

Good Hunting and God Bless,

Byron

Bob,

I believe Nasa could very well be right. I've been saying the same thing for years. I've been scoft at and looked at funny for talking about 50 pound coyotes for quite some time. So much that I now carry scales in my truck. Of course being from Texas I get the "OH sure everything is bigger in Texas" comments. Thing is it is the Eastern edge of Texas that holds these coyotes. Most adult males in my area will weigh over 40 with a few older males going 50 or better. I've got lots of pictures of these big coyotes. some of these pictures are of the coyotes hanging on the scales. As you know there was a strip of western Louisiana and Estern Texas that was one of the last holdouts of the Red Wolf. It is not only likely but very possible that the coyotes we now have in this area are a mix of coyote/red wolf. Go West of here 100 miles and there is an entirely different looking coyote that will rarely top 40 pounds. Dare I say they are not as wolfy looking either.

Byron

Rod and Byron, that sounds like a fun day. Cool looking terrain. Some great pictures. The new AR looks good. Glad to hear it's a shooter.

Good hunting

Byron,

We have a couple of breeding populations of red wolves here too but I think that they readily interbreed with the coyotes.

Many of our coyotes here are kind of a "strawberry blonde" and are quite large with "wolflike" features and yet they're decidedly not wolves.

I'm sure I've never seen a full blooded red wolf in the wild but have seen coyotes with features and coloration that are very similar not to mention size differences.

We have a few breeding pairs of red wolves in a zoo near here so I get to look at them every once in awhile and refresh my mind on what the full blooded red wolves look like.

$bob$

Some good information on Red Wolves

Quote:
Do red wolves hybridize with coyotes?
Red wolves, gray wolves, domestic dogs, and coyotes are capable of interbreeding and producing fertile offspring. Social structures and territoriality usually prevent such interbreeding. Due to the widespread persecution of predators and the destruction of suitable habitat, by the 1960s the number of red wolves was dwindling, and coyotes had migrated into the Southeast.

When the few remaining red wolves were unable to find mates of their own species, hybridization with more abundant coyotes did occur. This hybridization is generally accepted as the final factor that resulted in the near extinction of the red wolf.

Red wolves and coyotes have been hybridizing in northeastern North Carolina and the Service is addressing the hybridization threat with urgency. Initial estimates indicate that the current red wolf population would be unrecognizable as such within 3-6 generations (12-24 years) if the rates of hybridization currently being controlled actually occurred. The Service is partnering with several agencies and universities to conduct research that will allow for better understanding and hopefully successful management of hybridization based on the best available scientific information.

Original range:

pic3.jpg

Last edited:
Rod,

The video turned out great. I'll have some of it edited for the Shot show next week.

LDhunter,

I remember a picture I saw as a kid of a wolf a friend of mines dad killed back in the 70's. I would love to have that picture today. In fact, I've asked if they still have it and they don't. The picture was pretty ragged when I saw it, but I distictly remember the image and the large size of the wolf. It was killed about 5 miles from where I'm sitting typing this. Now having said this, it could have been a very large coyote but I sure doubt it and so does the man that shot it.

Here is a picture of a stawberry blond coyote Yellowhammer, Crapshoot, and I called in here in East Texas.
CopyofDSC00886.jpg

I'll try and find a few more picture I have of 50ish pound coyotes I have in photobucket.

until then I can say that these coyotes are bigger boned coyotes than the ones I've killed out West. What I call raw boned. Their frame is just more sturdy. The best analogy I can come up with is that the Western variety more favors a border collie and the Estern variety more favors the german shepard.

Yellowhammer,

Thanks for the map. Acording to that, even though I'm in Texas I still live in the "Mississippi valley red wolves" original range.

Interesting stuff to be sure.

Byron

Back