Ever wonder if you made the right choice??

Originally Posted By: MPFD That's the most dead on post I've read. If they made a 300wm or should we even hope .338 L... I'd worship too...

I'm thinking for $1500 (maybe a touch more) I can build me one #E11 of a lot nicer rifle... No matter what chamber.

-used R700 & utilize the trigger ~$350 (go savage or ruger for cheaper options)
-New Barltien/Krieger Blank ~$325 (go x-caliber or McGowen For chaper option)
-McRee Chassis ~$600 (some options more but also a decent used market)
-Smith to chamber barrel ~$300

I can guarantee the above rifle will shoot circles around the Ruger & can be completely customized the way you want it; just say'n...

Of course if you just want to buy to support the manufacture... I get that too.

Originally Posted By: MPFD That's the most dead on post I've read. If they made a 300wm or should we even hope .338 L... I'd worship too...

Oooh - I hadn't thought about a 338L. I would bet Ruger doesn't take that chance on a new action for such a limited market (they don't make their Magnum action any more, and they had a strong foothold in the Safari rifle market). Lots of guys wanna shoot long, but not a lot of guys buying factory rifles wanna send that $2.50-4.00 down range every shot. But yeah - I'd be interested more in a 338L than a 300WM. More in a RUM length than a WM too, but I assume Ruger won't build a RUM.

Originally Posted By: coleridgeOriginally Posted By: MPFD That's the most dead on post I've read. If they made a 300wm or should we even hope .338 L... I'd worship too...

I'm thinking for $1500 (maybe a touch more) I can build me one #E11 of a lot nicer rifle... No matter what chamber.

-used R700 & utilize the trigger ~$350 (go savage or ruger for cheaper options)
-New Barltien/Krieger Blank ~$325 (go x-caliber or McGowen For chaper option)
-McRee Chassis ~$600 (some options more but also a decent used market)
-Smith to chamber barrel ~$300

I can guarantee the above rifle will shoot circles around the Ruger & can be completely customized the way you want it; just say'n...

Of course if you just want to buy to support the manufacture... I get that too.

I 100% agree on this sentiment - I can build a custom for the same dime, why buy off of the shelf.

But...

Most guys buying their 2nd rifle (behind their AR-15, of course) are looking for a turnkey solution. Guys who've never shot past 100-200yrds and have no idea what it takes or costs to build a rifle hear 1,600yrds in the advertisements and think an RPR will turn them into Chris Kyle (forgot about the timing of his book, popularity, and death compared to these market trends), then they run out and buy an RPR.

Those are the guys Ruger is targeting with the RPR. Not guys like us. All of their releases in recent years have been aimed at selling someone their first firearm, or first firearm of each class. They're not really focusing on selling a factory rifle to custom rifle guys, and for those guys, it's a cheaper option than some of the other "turn key" long range rifles (looking at GOW), and whether it's as accurate as not doesn't really matter, 'cuz it'll at least assuredly be more accurate than the guy buying it.

I'd love to own one - but I don't have a real reason beyond handing Ruger a few sheckles.

Last edited:
Well, I sent the Ruger packing today. I replaced it with a Tikka CTR. I wanted a 260 but settled for a 308. I have dies, Lapua brass and a bunch of different bullets for the 308 so I'm good to go there. I put a Meopta 6-18X50 on it for optics. Still a little "tactical" but so much lighter and fits me better.

Back