ER Shaw barrel kit...UPDATE.....Range results 9/4

Not a snob by any means, but paying $200 for a Shaw or $300 for a brux I will save my pennies for the better barrel everytime. I shoot some factory Remington and kimber barrels so how could I be a snob. I am just trying to point out to the new shooters out there that there are much better barrels out there for not that much money. The last straw for me with Shaw, besides the quality of there barrels is when they tried to say they owned the patient on spiral fluting and kampfield had to quite spiraling barrels as per Shaw lawyers. There is plenty of low end stuff on the market and the companies only thrive because no one spreads the word. If you like Shaw, keep shooting and supporting them.

UPDATE 9/4/11
Back from the range. I ran 75 rounds through the ER Shaw barrel. 5 shot groups for all targets.
Using only W748, 50g vmax and 4 loads using the 55g vmax.
Charge was the same in all loads @ 27.5g. Seating was from 2.230" to 2.280".
So I am now pretty happy with the barrel & it performed 100% better than it looked inside with the borescope.
My smallest 5 shot group was .490" and the biggest was .830" with the 55 vmax.
Best COL is at 2.270" - 2.280"
I also had 1 load using Midwayusa dogtown 55 JHP bullet which performed better than the 55gr vmax, grouped at .620". This had to be seated at 2.180" but it does not feed well as the tip likes to get hung up at the bbl chamber.

I will now say the ERShaw .223 1/14" twist barrel kit from Midwayusa is a very good shooter and I have good remarks about its shootability even if the bore did not look good.
I lapped it out with Uncle Eds bore paste with sweets cleaner between every 10 shots WHICH I normally never do with a new bbl ever.
I will give it a thumbs up for the cost, kit, ease of install, looks and shooting results as of now.

Thanks for the update info.
It's good to know you can get a descent shooter (minute of coyote is all I ask for) at a very reasonable price.
Sounds like its an excellent shooter though.

Originally Posted By: 5spdUPDATE 9/4/11
I will give it a thumbs up for the cost, kit, ease of install, looks and shooting results as of now.

There you go! I was pretty dang sure that I was not the only happy Shaw owner. If they did not shoot good for me then I would say so. But my three do shoot very well and I will likely have one of more of them with me when out looking for critters to make into worm chow.

like I said I love mine and will continue to buy their custom build barrels. my brother in laws kit barrel shoots at 1 1/4" t 200 yards now and he didnt do a break in on it. thanks for the reporting on the kit though. nice to see a good word comming for them, I may look into one to replace my tevens barrel. thanks again

Originally Posted By: LWILLIAMSNot a snob by any means, but paying $200 for a Shaw or $300 for a brux I will save my pennies for the better barrel everytime. I shoot some factory Remington and kimber barrels so how could I be a snob. I am just trying to point out to the new shooters out there that there are much better barrels out there for not that much money. The last straw for me with Shaw, besides the quality of there barrels is when they tried to say they owned the patient on spiral fluting and kampfield had to quite spiraling barrels as per Shaw lawyers. There is plenty of low end stuff on the market and the companies only thrive because no one spreads the word. If you like Shaw, keep shooting and supporting them.

I would like to know where we can buy a 300$ brux that is already chambered and prefit for a savage?

Originally Posted By: chefpierreI would like to know where we can buy a 300$ brux that is already chambered and prefit for a savage?
The Brux site has up to 30" SS finnished/chambered etc. at $285
if thats current its a good price, but the wait is long Id bet.
I do not know anyone/vendor who has them ready to go though.

Originally Posted By: 5spdOriginally Posted By: chefpierreI would like to know where we can buy a 300$ brux that is already chambered and prefit for a savage?
Jim,
If you look at the Brux order form it asks what caliber you want, not what cartridge you want.
I interpret that as you are getting a blank, not a chambered barrel.
Or did I miss something?
I couldn't' find anything on chamber information.

Originally Posted By: sharkathmiOriginally Posted By: 5spdOriginally Posted By: chefpierreI would like to know where we can buy a 300$ brux that is already chambered and prefit for a savage?
Jim,
If you look at the Brux order form it asks what caliber you want, not what cartridge you want.
I interpret that as you are getting a blank, not a chambered barrel.
Or did I miss something?
I couldn't' find anything on chamber information.
My Oops.........I missed it, the "finnished" part got me as ready to install & its not.

Back