Electronic scales vs balance scales

Longnkrnch

Is anyone finding electronic scales as accurate as balance scales? I have tried several over the last few years and always have enough doubt to send me back to the RCBS balance beam. I really want to speed up the process and the balance scale is slow but, I won't sacrifice group size or safety to do it. I would really like to try the chargemaster or similar competitors type auto system, but don't want to spend that much money and end up back on the balance scale. What are you experiences with thes as far as being able to maintain consistent MOA or sub MOA?

I use a Chargemaster for all my hunting ammo and I haven't noticed any difference in accuracy between the rounds I loaded with it and the rounds I hand weighed/trickled...the only difference is it's way faster and easier for me than trickling by hand.

Cheap electronic scales are not very accurate.

I use an RCBS Chargemaster and it works great. I optimized it for my uses by re-programming it to run a little faster. It's fantastic!

+1 on the Chargemaster. Once you have one you wonder how you did without it all those years...I have checked the charges it puts out on my 5-10 balance beam and they are always very close to dead nuts...

Ok, it seems that everyone is saying no MOA issues with the chargemaster, so I'm gonna try it. What kind of warranty does it have? And, are there any special issues to watch out for while using it? Just love having others experiences to draw on before spending money on a product. I'm Gettin tired of taking 2 hours to load what I can shoot in 20 minutes.

Originally Posted By: LongnkrnchOk, it seems that everyone is saying no MOA issues with the chargemaster, so I'm gonna try it. What kind of warranty does it have? And, are there any special issues to watch out for while using it? Just love having others experiences to draw on before spending money on a product. I'm Gettin tired of taking 2 hours to load what I can shoot in 20 minutes.

I believe they are a 2 yr warranty. Special issues are don't use black powder in it and don't leave powder in it long term. I also don't use fluorescent lighting around it and keep it away from big drafts.

By the time the electronic scale "warms" up and what else, my beam scale, and powder thrower have already loaded, and are at the range or in the field. Good luck with the electronic rubble.

The cheap electronics are crap. Btdt. The more expensive ones are pretty good. I had a Lyman DPS 1200 and we left it on and plugged in. Never an issue with it.

With that said, I am back to a meter and beam scale. It just works well and I trust it a hair more. JMHO.

Another vote for the Chargemaster. I have my 5-10 set up and check several loads against the Chargemaster just to double check things. For long stick powders it's great. Any slight breese, or draft, will mess with the beam, the Chargemaster has a cover over the pan, and it will beat the 5-10 here. Pistol loads get the Uniflow, checked with the 5-10. No fans, and check-close the AC vents when weighing powder. The Chargemaster is not perfect every time, but for most hunting loads it's faster for me. One grandule of powder up or down will never be seen on a target for most rifles.

Word to the wise about the chargemaster, just cause it beeps at you when your load is reached, doesn't mean it isn't overthrown. Always let the counter go then look to see the weight on the display after the beep.

Originally Posted By: mikeinlouisianaI love my chargemaster, If it would break I would order another immediately.

Mike

That's the nice thing...RCBS is great at taking care of their customers.

Does fluorescent lighting cause issues? That's what I have over my bench.

I believe they are a 2 yr warranty. Special issues are don't use black powder in it and don't leave powder in it long term. I also don't use fluorescent lighting around it and keep it away from big drafts. [/quote]

Originally Posted By: LongnkrnchDoes fluorescent lighting cause issues? That's what I have over my bench.

I'm not sure, I've heard it's one of the things they recommend not having in the area where you're using the Chargemaster...something about how it operates. I can't say I've experienced it myself because I don't use any.

Quote:By the time the electronic scale "warms" up and what else, my beam scale, and powder thrower have already loaded, and are at the range or in the field. Good luck with the electronic rubble.

Yeah, that's why you just keep it on my friend. The Chargmaster and RCBS scales are some great quality pieces of equipment.

Back