edit

Wow, lots of info there. I've been shooting coyotes for a while now and often see them in the fields when I'm on my way to a set, but as soon as I stop and get out of the rig they take off. If I shoot and miss they go faster. Once in a while one will run into a bullet and make my day. I've never seen one asleep.

I mostly call and that works pretty well for an old crippled fella with eyesight going south. Thanks for the interesting post, it's always nice to learn something new.

Thanks for taking the time to lay this out Kirby. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
Good stuff and lots of info for newbies and us goldie oldies as well. I'll sticky this and anyone that wants to add some tips, feel free. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hey Kirby,

Great information, many people are not familiar with spot and stalk.

We have been stalking red and coyote for a decade now and have been fortunate enough to capture stalking singles, doubles, and even triples on video. It is a heart pounding activity to be sure and an exciting style of hunting predators. Glad to see someone else doing it too.

Just curious, what state or province do you hunt in? Some of those pics look like a familiar type of terrain.

John

Good stuff Kirby. I've had the opportunity to hunt with you before and spot and stalk is definately a very challenging way of hunting coyotes. Not an easy task.

You know how much I like it:

coyotestalk2.jpg

Tony

Good deal, I've never taken a shot at a red, yet... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hey, that's only 5 months away !!

I hunt pretty close to Kirby and sometimes in the same style of spot and stalk. Reading these posts was fun as the info is dead on, and the pics look like they were taken in my back yard. I dont have as many years of experience as Kirby does, but what I do know I learned from two old boys who have been doing the same thing for 40+ years, they sure cut the learning curve alot.
I'd especially agree with the yotes being harder than the reds. In fact reds are almost a slam dunk in comparison, they are just much less wary although there seems to be fewer of them. I've seen them jumped on a stalk gone bad, and watched them run over a hill or two and lay right back down. That just doesnt happen with yotes.
We have also killed alot of yotes with blind tracking in fresh snow using a 12ga with #4 buck. As Kirby said they can be fairly difficult to stalk closer than a couple hundred yards depending on the conditions. What I've always found odd was that when tracking we very often can walk up on them within easy shotgun range before they jump, though usually only if they are in heavy cover. I suspect that in many instances they know we are coming, but hold tight hoping we will just pass by them as pheasant hunters often do. Some have held until we were within mere feet of them, a rush for sure.
Thanks for the pics Kirby!

Last edited:
Did u guys ever see the article that was in Fur,Fish,Game couple years ago about coyote stalker Greg Rice who also lives in Iowa? Talked about his long-range Savage 308 he uses. I thought that was kinda neat.

I also spot and stalk coyotes these days since it's more exciting for me than calling. But i'm out here in the Rocky Mtn. region and hunt them a little differently. I park my vehicle and just walk sometimes for half a day and typically cover many miles during that time. Sometimes i'll glass ridges coming off of bluffs for sleeping dogs with a set of Big Eyes from the truck. This year they're in more trouble than they have been in the past as i just got ahold of some Kowa Highlanders with 32X oculars. Of course, the unit is so heavy that they could never be packed in.

For walking hunting during fur season i use a 17 Fireball XP-100, and/or a 20 BR XP-100 that is new to me this year. I like the portability and challenge of the specialty pistols these days. Post fur season i use a 6.5 WSM XP-100 now and the 140 A-Max. It has the 8.5-25X Leup. with TMR reticle and is a long-ranger.

I use a sling of my own design, that allows me to tighten it up close to my body for crawling, versatility (over the opposite shoulder), and easy to get into position from prone. It's simply a std. K/Wal-Mart sling with 1" webbing that i installed a Fastex snap into, so it can be used exactly the same way a backpack waist buckle is used.

I use a soft-sided stadium seat that doubles as a shooting mat. It's customized by reattaching the female end of the side strap snaps closer to the seat itself for extremely enhanced back support to allow for extremely steady SP shooting from the sitting position with a tall Harris bipod attached. I also attached an addtl. Fastex snap at the end of the side strap webbing so it can be carried around my waist hands-free. The whole works goes into a burlap bag which is the best camo-pattern ever developed for prairie hunting, IMO. Cut holes for the seat attachments, insert seat then sew back up--the perfect portable seat system for hunting, IMO.

I ALWAYS CARRY A HOWLER OF SOME SORT--1 high pitched and 1 low pitched, that r used as locators most of the time, but once used i note where the responses came from and stay seated for 10-15 minutes in case the spot i howled from becomes a calling stand.

I use military BDU-style pants so i can carry everything i need in the side leg pockets without having to carry a backpack most of the time. For ancillary gear i carry an old super-wide camera strap i use to haul dogs to the closest skinning location, and a couple bags, knife and 2 short rope loops for skinning. I carry a nice portable digital camera for pics, and oftentimes i carry my 10-20X Leupold spotting scope too. I just got rid of my leg-pocket laser the Leica 1200 CRF, for a pair of 10X42 Leica BRF's so i don't need to carry a binoc and a laser. Expensive (and heavy) but worth it IMO.

I also use knee pads that are "stowed away" around my ankles in case i need to crawl some.

I always use the tall Harris bipod on my rigs for the maximum verstaility in the field (tho i've never seen the perfect front and rear feld setup yet).

1 of the most important things i do is to get well-hydrated before i leave the vehicle as that usually gets me through till the early afternoon from 1 location. I also carry a very small bottle of water in my leg pocket in case i need to rehydrate a little before i get back to the vehicle. Sometimes i'll take a very small backpack if i feel i'll need it. If u get dehydrated out there a mile or so from the vehicle hunting is no fun anymore as u struggle (usually just a little) to get back to the truck.

That's my system.

...BTW Tony, i remember u posting that pic awhile back--what an amazing stalk.

Back