eating cougars

Wrong guess Spinnershark! LOL Elevation my friend, elevation!The last two mornings it has been 14 to 18 degrees here in sunny Northern AZ. The higher in elevation you go the colder it gets. Flagstaff has been downright cold! The lions taste very good, and so do the elk, mule deer, coues deer,antelope, and bear. I cant say that the Javelina taste all that good though. But to each his own.
Steve

------------------
www.azpredatorhunts.com

[This message has been edited by Steve Craig (edited 01-21-2002).]

gonna take a dip in the sea-ment pond and then eat some critter.
There are a lot of Clampets out there that will never admit to it. That may not be such a bad thing!
Eating cat- We call it Chinese food
smile.gif

I notice that the guys that didn`t like the taste of lion are from Arizona or Southern Cal. I can imagine those desert cats are rather lean and tough. I think Spinnershark and Steve Craig are right. The Rocky Mt. lions in the cooler environment are probably tastier.

That's probably because our Arizona/California lions don't have any Rocky Mountain Spring Water to drink...hell, it does wonders for the beer, why not the cats. Those Rocky Mountain water drinking cats are pobably better than most steaks...yeah...that's it...
wink.gif

------------------
I'd rather be lucky than GOOD!

I worked with a fella from Utah that ran cats in several states with his dogs. He claimed (and after working with him I've got no reason to doubt him) that he average 10-12 kills (between him and other licensed hunters) per year. He swore up and down that mountain lion was some of the best tasting meat he'd ever eaten. Told me it was light like pork and quite tender. If I'm ever in a position to try it, you can bet I'll dig in. After all, I tried the alligator and kangaroo at the Garlic Festival in Gilroy, Kalifornia last summer.

Originally posted by Steve Craig:
Wrong guess Spinnershark! LOL Elevation my friend, elevation!The last two mornings it has been 14 to 18 degrees here in sunny Northern AZ. The higher in elevation you go the colder it gets. Flagstaff has been downright cold! The lions taste very good, and so do the elk, mule deer, coues deer,antelope, and bear. I cant say that the Javelina taste all that good though. But to each his own.
Steve

Hey Steve,
I betcha you ain't lion either. LOL
smile.gif

Originally posted by DesertRam:
I worked with a fella from Utah that ran cats in several states with his dogs. He claimed (and after working with him I've got no reason to doubt him) that he average 10-12 kills (between him and other licensed hunters) per year. He swore up and down that mountain lion was some of the best tasting meat he'd ever eaten. Told me it was light like pork and quite tender. If I'm ever in a position to try it, you can bet I'll dig in. After all, I tried the alligator and kangaroo at the Garlic Festival in Gilroy, Kalifornia last summer.
D-R next time you co ut for the Big Garlic Shindig make sure you stop by. You pass
my place on the way.

I have never eaten or harvested a cougar yet. I know one thing, if I ever get one, it will be treated just like a deer and I will eat it. Several hound hunters I know have eaten it when it was legal to run cats. They say it is great. My old WA State trapper education booklet has a section on carcass utilization. The fish and game dept. even provide recipes for raccoon, muskrat, bobcat, beaver within it. All being touted as very palatable. They mentioned bobcat was very good. They didn't have a recipe for cougar because you couldn't trap them. I have been told that cougar is better than bobcat though. They did not provide a recipe for coyote however...lol Must be a reason for that.
smile.gif

bobcatrecip.jpg

[This message has been edited by Curt (edited 01-26-2002).]

Curt,

I have tried beaver before, it's not to bad. But be not mistaken, it is deffinatly NO porterhouse.
biggrin.gif

The secret to eating beaver is to not be in the same room when it is cooked. It gives of a real musky smell. But after it is cooked it doesn't have the repulsive smell to it any longer.

If you ever get the chance, give it a try. You might like it alot. I doubt that you would be sorry that you tried it.

Just remember the secret, you'll know why I told you to remember if you forget.
biggrin.gif

Ryan

I live in South east Texas.Four miles from Louisiana.Some of you folks would have a hard time around hear.I worked with A man who won the state neutra rat eating contest four years straight.It is very common to have squirrel head gumbo.WE do take the eye balls out first,We ant totaly crude.Also chicken feet gumbo.Crawfish and gator tail in every cafe.I read were at one of the big safari club diners.Twenty different game meats were numberd, and then tasted by the members.They voted on the best,Yelp Mt Lion by a large margin.

Varmint hunter what do you mean take the eyes out? You know that is illegal in the state of Texas!! Wasting game or part of it is against the law!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
Ever tried squirrel brains in scambled eggs? Yuummmmmmyyyyyyy
smile.gif
>>>>>>>>>James L.

------------------
yotewalk.gif

Never underestimate the power of stupid people!

Yelp,Thats how we started the morning,So we could go get the heads for the night gumbo.P.S.Used the eyes for brim bait.

Cougar is exellant meat. It is like a very lean pork. Cougar Stir Fry is the best. When the kids are complaining about whats for dinner my wife tells them its cougar and they scarf it right up. I havent harvested a cat since 94 but they havent figgured it out.
Hay Curt when you do harvest a cougar give me a call. I would love to show you how to cook it.
I think Steve Craig said it best "you can sure tell the guys that have never been Lion hunting"

Jake,

At the Colorado Division of Wildlife on 58th and I-25, I bought a recipe book for wild game. I kid you not bro', there are several recipes for lion and they say it is really super duper good. No Joke, check it out. I am gonna eat mine I ever get one!!!! Not only that, I suspect it may be illegal to discard the edible meat (all but the guts).

Locohead, I live in a housing development that borders Pike Nat. Forest. I do some hunting in Pike but not as much since the rapid growth in development hinders access a little more. I do have some access still if I`m discreet enough to get by the new contingent of bunny huggers that have invaded over the last few years. There have been several lion sightings out here including a hiker that got munched on 4 or 5 years ago. If you`re interested in coming out to help me thin out the heard let me know. My email is [url=mailto:rdmplamb@aol.com.

Hey C-n-B, just saw your post, I've been a little too busy to read every post here lately. I'd be happy to stop by on our next trip out if the fiance (oops WIFE by then) will let me off the hook for a while. We don't get out your way much, so when we do it's "supposed" to be reserved for family matters. Sure appreciate the offer.

Back