easiest way to cook squirrels

By far the easiest way is to take your squirrel and salt/pepper, cajun spice, whatever you like. LOOSELY wrap him up in alluminum foil with a spoon full of butter and bake him for 2 hours at 250. You can also add taters and onions in the foil pouch as well and have the entire meal wrapped up. I used some italian dressing on them once and it was really good.

It aint as good as fried young squirrel but it don't make your house smell like boiled rat either.

Originally Posted By: Ben JimmyI love smoked (not grilled) squirrels. If done right the meat will fall off the bones, even the ribs. As everyone knows the younger the better. The old tougher ones, boil 1st, then roll in seasoned flour and fry. A lot of folks make squirrel & dumplings. NOT ME! I've never seen any done that way that the meat didn't look like hair. It may taste great but I can't get past how it looks. The most DISGUSTING way I've ever seen them cooked is fried whole, with the head, teeth, etc. The folks then crack the heads & eat the brains! NASTY!!!!----Ben Jimmy

Some old guys where I used to live would eat squirrel brains. They would cuss me out if I gave them a bunch of squirrels. None of mine ever had any brains. After I got the HMR most didn't even have much of a head.
wink.gif

That's sounds interesting. I've eaten the oysters and hearts before, but never the brains. I may have to try that. I don't know if I could get past the look of that though.

I think there is some disease associated with eating squirrels brains. Might check that out before you partake of the delicacy...
smile.gif

Actually it's a form of "Mad Cow". I don't remember, without looking, but I believe they had like 8 cases in Kentucky a few years ago and all were found to be "squirrel brain eaters".

Just got done eating some and had to share this.1 bottle of dark or amber beer ,1/2 cup teriyaki marinade,2 cups water,onion and garlic powder (couple shakes each) 3-4 tree rats,bring to boil and then simmer for 1.5-2 hrs. Good stuff!

Originally Posted By: mikeygJust got done eating some and had to share this.1 bottle of dark or amber beer ,1/2 cup teriyaki marinade,2 cups water,onion and garlic powder (couple shakes each) 3-4 tree rats,bring to boil and then simmer for 1.5-2 hrs. Good stuff!

Sounds pretty good. I'd hit that.
wink.gif

Starke co boy, It ain't just eating the brains, don't forget them big orange teeth and in some cases the eyes!!! Like I said, DISGUSTING!!!! And that's putting it mildly!!! It is the vilest looking mess I've ever seen on a plate, bar none!!!

Hog-head-cheese is a very close second!!!! And I wouldn't touch either one with a 10ft. pole!!!

---Ben Jimmy

Back