Early Season Crow Sniping

PredatorHunter,

Sorry for the delay in answering. I haven't been checking the Varmint section lately.

No, the stock is factory. I purchased the rifle as it is, except the scope of course.

I have never actually crow hunted on purpose, shot a couple here and there, but would like to give it a try. I would like to use a mouth call, but want my decoys, and real crows about 100-150 yrds out. Am I being unreasonable? Any other tips would be appreciated. What kind of mouth calls, how many decoys, things like that.

Thanks,
Jesse Lackey

Jessee,

You are not being unrealistic at all. Shooting Crows with a rifle can be done at a variety of ranges. I take them regularly at 100 yards with a 17 HMR.

As to mouth calls and decoy numbers, I think they all work well. Some guys use this call or that, and it works for them, while others do things differently and it works for them. No hard rules on that. Decoys, I rarely use them but other guys do with good success. I guess it might depend on where you hunt and the conditions.

Just go out, give it a try and have a good time. Experiment a bit and do what works for you.

Keep us posted, with photos of course.

We actually tried crow sniping after a dry 'yote set Friday morning. The first thing we realized was that it was hard to get a shot at a crow low enough to ensure the centerfire rounds we were using had a definate backstop.
We were thinking that some decoys might get the crows on the ground or at least low enough to to ensure a good hill to shoot into.
Has anybody had luck with this ?

Mike

What...?????? I shot 12 out of 14 yesterday with my 223... at about 110 yds... over a two hr period. Two or three would come in... one would land... and then he'd fall.... wonderful stuff...

Not out here I have been trying and they just won't give me a shot I can watch them for minutes and nothing soon as I have a rifle in My hands their gone

I read somewhere a few years ago, about a guy that would take a burlap bag and a can of ketchup (bulk from costco or sam's club) and cover the area with ketchup as well as the burlap bag. He would then set out his crow decoys and put his caller out and the crows would keep coming in and landing thinking that the crows were feeding off of a deer carcass. I am def going to try it when I get home from Iraq.

I think the feeding idea would be better than the aggressive owl attack thing... because they should be more incline to land in the tree sooner without all the circling... I'll have to try that deer thing..it should work.... good tip....

I've also heard of garbage bags with trash scattered around...

Thanks guys, I just wasn't sure if calling with a mouth call was going to make them want to land on top of me. I know some guys put an e caller out around the area they would like the crows to land. Wasn't sure if this was necessary.

one guy i know used spray foam on a piece of cardboard...then painted it like a gut pile and they were landing at it lol..he got in trouble its illegal here in PA....but said it worked well...

i like the stock also...nice gun and good shooting...

Back