Dtech, .243wssm 105 A-Max/ 87 V-Max & Varget

dzlfarmboy

So the last week or so I've had some time to start load development with my new dtech .243wssm. I started using H4350/105Amax but could not get anything better than 11/16" groups so I tried some Varget with both 105's and some 87gr vmax's I picked up. I just did some basic 3 shot groups working up 1/2gr increments. No velocitys on these as my 9volt battery was dead in my chrony last night. I also have some H4831sc I can try but hopfully these will have enough speed. All were loaded @ 2.260 OAL

1314100168.jpg

1314100219.jpg

1314099859.jpg

1314100208.jpg

1314099723.jpg

Well now that you have had a chance to shoot it a few times You should send it to me so I can give it a good home.
Good looking rig you got there.
BTW- what twist does she have.

Originally Posted By: HoierDo those 105s fit in the magazine?

Yeah but their seated pretty deep, I plan on seating them longer with a moddified mag to tweak the accuracy

Originally Posted By: MPFDWhy would you wanna tweek accuracy any more then a one hole clover leaf?

That was just one group, I might have had a horse shoe up my a$$. Hopfully they will continue on the next outing. If not I will play around with seating depths

That's what I do, I shoot a bunch of groups from different powder charges, bullets and etc. Then go back and shoot 5 groups of all the best ones and go on from there.

Originally Posted By: dzlfarmboyOriginally Posted By: MPFDWhy would you wanna tweek accuracy any more then a one hole clover leaf?

That was just one group, I might have had a horse shoe up my a$$. Hopfully they will continue on the next outing. If not I will play around with seating depths

Agree'd but I my experience groups like that aren't flukes. It may not do that everytime, But I would definatly shoot alot more rounds loaded and sized just like that till I convinced myself otherwise. As tight as they all where I'd say you got a keeper. Looks like there isn't much that rifle won't shoot!

Ha, you can't hardly hit the dot! That will never work.

If it will shoot that 105 everytime like that one, you need to call somebody! It does look like you will have a darn fine shooting rig there.

Very nice

Thanks fellas, I cant wait to go load up some more to see if I can keep em tight. Be nice to have a good 105gr and a 87gr load cause they [beeep] near have the same POI.

Good shootin'.
If those are realisitc 100yd groups, you have absolutely NOTHING to 'tweak'! Spend that time on keeping tabs on your neck tension, that inconsistency in the brass is what's gonna kill your accuracy at distance...

Also, when loaded to mag length, you can't get enough powder behind a 105 to push them at a speed where the higher b.c. does you any tangible benefit in the field.
Stick with & run the 87s faster, cuz the 105s can't fly fast enough (@ mag length) to top the 87s, ballisitically. Least not until they are [beeep] out there & at the distance, you'll have the inconsistent brass issues rearing their ugly head...

Modify mags all ya want to eeek out a couple tenths, but it still won't matter much. And you'll be getting to the point where your AR won't feed from the mag without modifiying the feed ramps. BIG can o' worms to open for little/no gain. But that's up to you & just offering up some food for thought...

Again, good shootin' & nice rig!

Yeah it's at 100yds, thats all I shoot cause all my rifles are zeroed @ 100. I should be able to see how fast im pushing them in a couple days, but I was pushing them 2775fps with 35.5gr of varget so I think the 37.5 should be 2900+

Here's some velocitys of H4350 and the start of my Varget loads from the last time I was out.
1314239292.jpg

Yeah the neck tension is a big factor when shooting at longer ranges and I have found that when I trim my brass with our Giruad power trimmer it also chamfers the inside lip and makes the bullet seating very smooth and consistant

All these loads are with new brass that I really couldn't trim much and put the nice chamfered inside edge on.

You keep very concise records.

Out of curiosity, I ran your 105 AMAX/ 44.5gr H4350 load thru my Quickload program & it tells me that combo @ 2.260" is generating
over 72,000 psi

PLEASE WATCH YOURSELF!!!

Having a bullet seated deeper into a case will spike your pressure & a traditional load manual doesn't interpolate that out for you.
Also, if you ask him, Mike will tell you that by the time you SEE pressure signs in a WSSM, you are most likely waaaay beyond where you should be.

So again, in all sincerety, PLEASE BE CAREFUL!!!

Originally Posted By: knockemdownYou keep very concise records.

Out of curiosity, I ran your 105 AMAX/ 44.5gr H4350 load thru my Quickload program & it tells me that combo @ 2.260" is generating
over 72,000 psi

PLEASE WATCH YOURSELF!!!

Having a bullet seated deeper into a case will spike your pressure & a traditional load manual doesn't interpolate that out for you.
Also, if you ask him, Mike will tell you that by the time you SEE pressure signs in a WSSM, you are most likely waaaay beyond where you should be.

So again, in all sincerety, PLEASE BE CAREFUL!!!

Thanks for pluging that in, the 44.5gr did show signs of pressure with some cratering and the primer starting to flaten some. But 43.6gr in QL showed it being in the node, Mike even gave me those figures

Back