Do you think the coyote will ever suffer the same demise the Red wolf has?

Not enough Kizmo's in this great nation to exterminate the yote.
lol.gif

Isnt there a small population of the red wolf (300 or so) still somewhere in NC?? Thought I followed a link here where a trapper was bit by one....

Just my .02. I used to help my grandad run traps and cyanide guns, we killed a many a red wolf and a few coyotes. However close they may have been in DNA there was a big difference between the two. Even in a so called red phase, the coyote does not look like the red wolf did fur or otherwise! While the most recent photos of reds look more like coyotes because of interbreeding, the wolves that we used to kill looked more wolf like, had more rounded paws, deeper chests and would out-weigh and avg. coyote by 15-25 lbs. In my opinion the red was not nearly as adaptable or wise. And at least in our area of Central Texas declined along with the sheep and goat industry of the time, but declined mainly from trapping and poisoning efforts. Then as their population dwindled, they bred themselves into extinction due to the coyotes more adaptive nature.

Last edited:
The thing about coyotes is their the only creature on earth that will actually adjust the numbers of their litters to the numbers killed and that's why we'll never "kill 'em all". The more we kill the more pups they produce.

Originally Posted By: harryheadshotThe thing about coyotes is their the only creature on earth that will actually adjust the numbers of their litters to the numbers killed and that's why we'll never "kill 'em all". The more we kill the more pups they produce.

That has never been proven. They breed the same time every year and do not adjust that according to the numbers, or lack therof, in a particular area.

Just because we take out alot of coyotes in one area the other coyotes dont get their freak on out of their normal breeding season, or get it on more so to make up those numbers.

No offense, but, the only time I have heard that is when the antis spew out rhetoric to make hunting seem pointless and the use of it fruitless in controlling them, so why do it at all.

Anti hunting propaganda is the only thing I get from it.

Again, that is not directly directed at you.

Just saying...

Originally Posted By: DobroNot enough Kizmo's in this great nation to exterminate the yote.
lol.gif

Isnt there a small population of the red wolf (300 or so) still somewhere in NC?? Thought I followed a link here where a trapper was bit by one....

Yeah, there are some coyote-free islands off the coast of N.C. where they have transplanted captive-bred "red wolves", and there are some still in zoos.

As far as exterminating the yote, I am currently producing and equipping an army of Kizmo clones BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!!
drool.gif

Originally Posted By: Black_Wolf
harryheadshot said:
The thing about coyotes is their the only creature on earth that will actually adjust the numbers of their litters to the numbers killed and that's why we'll never "kill 'em all". The more we kill the more pups they p

That has never been proven. They breed the same time every year and do not adjust that according to the numbers, or lack therof, in a particular area.

Just because we take out alot of coyotes in one area the other coyotes dont get their freak on out of their normal breeding season, or get it on more so to make up those numbers.

No offense, but, the only time I have heard that is when the antis spew out rhetoric to make hunting seem pointless and the use of it fruitless in controlling them, so why do it at all.

Anti hunting propaganda is the only thing I get from it.

Again, that is not directly directed at you.

Just saying...

Finally, someone gets it. No non-human mammal that lives, or has ever lived, is capable of performing a population survey and adjusting sperm and egg production accordingly. However, many animals' reproductive capacity are affected by nutrition which, given a limited food source, tends to be inversely affected by increased numbers of competing individuals. Fewer yotes = more rabbits per yote = better nutrition = higher reproductive capacity + better offspring survival = more yotes.

Last edited:
I started not to get in to this debate, but it looks a bit too one-sided in favor of the coyote. If we stop and think about our history for a few minutes and all the amazing and unbelievable things the human race has not only imagined, but invented and accomplished, the coyote just doesn't quite stack up as the formidible opponent some believe him to be.

Something else (amusing) to consider is the number of times hunters (not only on PM, but in your everyday life as well) ask how many people should they take hunting with them & how can they keep these same friends from hunting those spots again and even taking other hunters to these spots.It sort of makes it look like there aren't enough coyotes to go around! But seriously, with enough incentive,such as disease prevention, safety, bounty, ect.,along with loss of habitat I do think the coyote population would suffer if enough pressure was correctly applied.

This is simply my observation and I have enough confidence in my fellow hunters that 'Given The Task' humans could not only cause a demise in the coyote population, we might even put a pair on the moon to howl back.------Ben Jimmy

Well the way this group of old hunters feels, God put them here for a number of reasons.
Several would be to controll the overpopulation of all those critters they like to eat. And the next most important is giving them all that nice fur to motavates us to go out and control their population.
His plan is working.
After all id hate to think of disease controling them.
Shoot straight and do not hesitate

Exactly. Ever see any on the side of the road, all laid out and stinking more than usual? That's a road kill.While it may not be the preferred 'kill' method, the buzzards seem to like it. I would rather shoot them, but get him any way you can!

All kidding aside, while I do believe humans 'could' put coyote populations in danger, I have no desire to see that happen. They do serve their purpose and I prefer coyotes to rats & snakes. I, personally don't want to see any living creature become extinct.

Kizmo, I'm glad you posted the photo. More should be posted for the general public. With all the crap hunters have to put up with, this is exactly why the news is full of hikers, joggers, children, etc. that have been attacked by coyotes and other animals. When these animals are pushed out of their natural habitat they have to go somewhere. Your photo shows us all too clearly where that is.

I hope nobody is taking my 'opinion' personally as it is not directed at any individual. This is just my answer to the question posed....probable, no....possible, yes.-----Ben Jimmy

Originally Posted By: Ben Jimmy
Kizmo, I'm glad you posted the photo. More should be posted for the general public. With all the crap hunters have to put up with, this is exactly why the news is full of hikers, joggers, children, etc. that have been attacked by coyotes and other animals. When these animals are pushed out of their natural habitat they have to go somewhere. Your photo shows us all too clearly where that is.

That photo is from New York City, near Central Park, not exactly an area of suburban encroachment on coyote habitat. I don't believe it is possible to push them out of an established area. One yote in downtown Erie Pa. years ago was found living in a storm drain, with a whole pile of pet collars from pets he had killed. I think they are so adaptable, if you put a housing development in their area, they will simply learn to live off garbage, pets and children. One of our employees had a pack come into her garage and drag their pet cat out into the field. Luckily, Mr. Fluffenstuff escaped.

As others have already pointed out, serious efforts were put into eradicating coyotes at a time when there were fewer coyotes, better tools and less political correctness. If those guys in the good old days couldn't do it, our chances are exactly zero.

Last edited:
None will be living off my children. They also will not be living in my yard. I can and will protect my own. If any of ya'll can't at least protect your children, you need to call on a country boy for some help! -----Ben Jimmy

Originally Posted By: Kizmo As others have already pointed out, serious efforts were put into eradicating coyotes at a time when there were fewer coyotes, better tools and less political correctness. If those guys in the good old days couldn't do it, our chances are exactly zero.

Really? And when was this?

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesOriginally Posted By: Kizmo As others have already pointed out, serious efforts were put into eradicating coyotes at a time when there were fewer coyotes, better tools and less political correctness. If those guys in the good old days couldn't do it, our chances are exactly zero.

Really? And when was this?

Last week, before you got distracted by the trout calling your name.

LMAO. Was pretty darn recent then.
smile.gif

Coyotes were calling my name this morning. I guess they didn't really want me to find em though. Teasing me is all they were doing. Just teasing me. I'll get even!

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesLMAO. Was pretty darn recent then.
smile.gif

Coyotes were calling my name this morning. I guess they didn't really want me to find em though. Teasing me is all they were doing. Just teasing me. I'll get even!

Didn't you have your ecaller? Just turn it on and they will come running in. What were you thinking????

I think,,2 or 3 bad winters in a row could put a dent in them,,hurting their food supply,hunters wont,wolfs could put a dent in them too....In ohio they are at the top of the food chain,,,they can pretty much eat everything that cant fly or climb a tree.

The winters taking out a large poppulation of the coyotes food supply would lead to the demise of coyotes,,cause they eat until they are full.

Originally Posted By: catwhackerOriginally Posted By: doggin coyotesLMAO. Was pretty darn recent then.
smile.gif

Didn't you have your ecaller? Just turn it on and they will come running in. What were you thinking????

Oh great. Now you tell me! grrrrr

We used to have wolves in Arkansas years ago. I've seen pictures with some old schoolers and their kills strung out on a tight rope. We no longer have wolves in Arkansas, thank God.... Just sayin.

Back