Do you notify the ATF when you leave your state with a suppressor?

K9TXS

I'm getting ready for my June prairie dog hunt and completed the ATF form 5320.20. This form tells the ATF your suppressor is leaving its home state and going somewhere else for a short period of time. It can also be used for a permantant transfer to another state.

While completing the form I was wondering if others use the same form or just hope they don't get caught.

Do you use the form?

These two reply's are interesting. The link is a good read. This question is kinda like the "brace" on SBRs. At the 2023 SHOT Show, I spoke in length with several of the ATF guys at their booth. When it came to transporting, temporary or permanent, they all agreed they had to be notified. Reading the aforementioned article that was written from a company that sells suppressors is interesting. It's kinda like buying a used truck and the salesman tells you it's in perfect condition. You leave the lot and 2 miles down the road the transmission goes out.

I guess this is one of the questions we won't get a true answer for.

Originally Posted By: K9TXS

You have the true and correct answer, the BATF fools you talked to don't know diddly.

Below is directly from their own web site; notice the form is for CERTAIN items; those "certain items" are listed:

Application to Transport Interstate or to Temporarily Export Certain NFA Firearms (ATF Form 5320.20)

Download Application to Transport Interstate or to Temporarily Export Certain NFA Firearms (ATF Form 5320.20) (323.83 KB)

This form is used to obtain permission to temporarily or permanently move your registered National Firearms Act (NFA) machine gun, short barreled rifle or shotgun, or destructive device interstate. Persons other than qualified federal firearms licensees (FFLs) or government agencies are required to obtain this permission.

Document Number:
F 5320.20

Originally Posted By: K9TXSThese two reply's are interesting. The link is a good read. This question is kinda like the "brace" on SBRs. At the 2023 SHOT Show, I spoke in length with several of the ATF guys at their booth. When it came to transporting, temporary or permanent, they all agreed they had to be notified. Reading the aforementioned article that was written from a company that sells suppressors is interesting. It's kinda like buying a used truck and the salesman tells you it's in perfect condition. You leave the lot and 2 miles down the road the transmission goes out.

A little search before you answer and you would have known. Here is a link to the ATF. The question is about moving but the answer is for transportation

ATF.Gov NFA Transportation

Never believe the cops. They lie. And, they don’t know the law. When they try to tell you what is legal, they are often wrong and you are actually committing a crime.

Always take what they say with a grain of salt.

Back