do i have to re zero after removing my stock?

ohihunter2014

so i had some 50 degree weather the last 2 days and rattle canned my rifle-savage axis. i took the stock off and after doing so i was told i would have to re sight the gun in. is this tru? will it be so off i couldnt hit a yote at 150yards? right now i can shoot pop bottle caps. just dont want to head out and wound something cause my zero is off

Change one thing, you change everything.

Theoretically, if the bedding is true and you torqued to specs, it should be very close if not dead on. But I'd rather just test and be certain.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Change one thing, you change everything.

Theoretically, if the bedding is true and you torqued to specs, it should be very close of not dead on. But I'd rather just test and be certain.

Ditto

While some rifles return to zero pretty reliably, I sure wouldn't hunt with it before checking it on paper. Ammo is cheap, especially when compared to a possibly crippled animal.

Regards,
hm

I have a savage axis 22-250 had neighbor lighten the trigger, he took action barrel off the stock, and I thought o great another sight in just got this where I wanted it, but went home stepped off roughly 125 yards put a sdda can at my range and blew it to pieces so no resight in for me.. I would test it out to be sure! Don't want to blow it when something comes in you want to shoot miss or cripple isn't good.

Originally Posted By: shawn@moI have a savage axis 22-250 had neighbor lighten the trigger, he took action barrel off the stock, and I thought o great another sight in just got this where I wanted it, but went home stepped off roughly 125 yards put a sdda can at my range and blew it to pieces so no resight in for me.. I would test it out to be sure! Don't want to blow it when something comes in you want to shoot miss or cripple isn't good.

That's exactly what you did. A resight and double check.

Ive never had any problem with my rigs being off after taking the barreled action out of the stock& putting back in.

Maybe our resight is two different things I guess to me resight in having to adjust the scope again. I just made a double check to see if I wouldn't have to resight like the guy that did the trigger said I wouldn't have to...

Test fire sure, but if you didn't mess with the rings or scope, then it should fire true.

For those that think that you have to re-zero, they must not clean their guns often, or have a ton of time to go to the range.

Originally Posted By: shawn@moMaybe our resight is two different things I guess to me resight in having to adjust the scope again. I just made a double check to see if I wouldn't have to resight like the guy that did the trigger said I wouldn't have to...

For absolute sure, you're definition of "resight" is way different than mine. Just being able to hit a pop can, once, doesn't even come close to cutting it, for me. A full can, that explodes on being hit, for all you know you are a couple inches low, or an inch to one side, or both. No way, no day, do I hunt with a rifle that I don't know EXACTLY where on that pop can I'm hitting - with at least three shots in a row. For my money, you haven't done a proper zero at all.

Not criticizing, just offering up an alternative viewpoint.

- DAA

I was asking because I don't have a range I can go to I have to set something up with a guy I know that has some land and then I can go sight in but they are always hunting out there so its hard to get out there. I was worried about wounding something, non of my guns hunt unless I can hit the bull 3-5 times consistently.

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZTest fire sure, but if you didn't mess with the rings or scope, then it should fire true.

For those that think that you have to re-zero, they must not clean their guns often, or have a ton of time to go to the range.

Disagree.

Basically, for exactly the same reasons that good bedding matters to accuracy, is why zeroes change when messing with stock bolts or R&R'ing the stock.

I have much experience with this, not just with my own rifles but dozens of other peoples rifles as well. If the bedding is really good, they'll be very close, maybe even perfect (and repeatably so - good bedding does matter!) . But if it's typical factory bedding, or any bedding that puts stress in the action, the zero is usually going to change by a detectable amount.

- DAA

Yes, you need to sight-in, from a sturdy rest at an actual target. Heck, I sight-in (on a target, from a bench/rest), after every ammo lot change. At least I can't blame missed shots on anything but myself!

Eric
cool.gif

Quote:I have much experience with this, not just with my own rifles but dozens of other peoples rifles as well. If the bedding is really good, they'll be very close, maybe even perfect (and repeatably so - good bedding does matter!) . But if it's typical factory bedding, or any bedding that puts stress in the action, the zero is usually going to change by a detectable amount.

^^^^^^^^^^
A well bedded rifle will be very close to zero when R&R stock IF action screws are tightened properly and torqued same each time.
Have several target rifles that are pillar bedded and the zero never changes when necessary to remove stock but also have a couple of finicky ones that you'd better check after stock removal.

I, for one, shoot much better when I have complete confidence in my equipment and the best way to gain that confidence is to check zero on the range regularly; that way, if I blow a shot I can't blame the rifle but a poor shot always calls for another trip to the range anyway
wink.gif

What was it that Ronald Reagan said? "Trust, but verify!"
smile.gif

Regards,
hm

No I see your point, I'm not as pericular as some one might be, Idid shoot paper at my homemade rrange and I shoot groups of 3 and it was dead center maybe half inch high if that. Close enough for me never get a shot past 100 yards anyways.. All I was saying was that if you can hit a soda can the it isn't going to be that far off after removing stock, atleaste mine wasn't...

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014you guys are mentioning bedding my stocks not bedded its just the axis plastic stock.

What everyone is trying to tell you is:

1. Anytime you remove the action from the stock, its a very good idea to re-confirm whether your rifle shoots to the same point of impact that it shot to before removing the barreled action from the stock.

You have to shoot the rifle (sight it in) to check that. If it still shoots to the same point of impact as before, you're good to go. If the point of impact has changed, you adjust the scope accordingly and shoot the rifle again to confirm that the adjustment brought the point of impact back to its original location at 100 yards, for example. No biggie. But yes, you should actually shoot the rife to know what effect, if any, removing the action from the stock created.

2. If you are utilizing an un-bedded stock, the chance that the impact point has changed is greater than with a properly bedded stock.

Still, you need to check it either way which means shooting it to confirm point of bullet impact whether the stock has been properly bedded (which usually enhances accuracy and repeatability of accuracy if you remove the action from the stock) or not.

Remove the action from the stock = reconfirm the point of bullet impact by shooting the rife and adjusting the scope as needed.

Back