do coyotes howl during the day?

foxhunt2506

i always here them howl at night but not during daylight hours so i am i wrong or would it be unnatural to use coyote howls during the day?

I've had some luck opening morning and afternoon stands with howls. Use the search engine at the top of the page, I'm betting there's a ton of old posts covering this.

I've been told they howl at the fire stations sirens at 12:00 at a couple places I hunt but I've never heard them. But I've never been there at that time.

We must have some really anti social coyotes around here, very seldom hear any talk an hour after sunrise.. We tend to weed out the ones that run their yap too much and give up their location though.
Sunset to an hour after they really light it up, I love to listen to them.

I hear a lot of howling all times of the day around my house located in ranching territory 6,000' west slope in Colorado. Predominant times are 1 hour before sunset to several hours after sunset, and a couple of hours before sunrise to an hour after sunrise. During late winter Feb/Mar you can hear them at all times of the day with greeting howls and barks. They really get to singing after a calf is born ... like they're saying grace before dinner.

I've noticed that eastern coyotes almost never howl when the sun is up. They may howl at first light and at dusk, but I can count on one hand the number of times I've ever even heard of them (secondhand) howling during the day. I've personally never heard an eastern coyote howl during daylight.

West of the Mississippi is another matter.

Last edited:
Our ranch is about 1 mile from a train track. All the coyotes howl when the first train whistles as the sun is coming up in the morning.

The only daytime howling I have heard on the east coast is at 9:eek:clock am when the all clear warning alarm goes off at the local plant. They have a sing-a-long for about 10min. love it.

Eastern coyotes seem to be a lot less vocal than western ones in general. When I hear them howl/yip it is generally about an hour or two after sunset and even that is not too often. I have never heard a coyote/s howl during daylight- I have heard them give alarm/challenge barks a few times in the mornings when they have detected me-a pretty quiet bunch for the most part.

Arkansas, lousiania, Mississippi, Alabama, and Virginia have been good producers for us as far as howling them in during the day. Even around lunch time. Yes. They will howl during the day. If you learn how to use it against them, you can pile'em up!

This is the time of year I use howls to bring them in. So far, I have never had one howl back at me, so when they come in, they come in fast and quiet.

I think every coyote knows the voice of every other coyote within his hearing ability, so when I show up and howl, it's "who is this guy?" and they investigate. It's kind of like my house, if I hear a strange voice inside, I am coming to investigate.

When coyotes howl in the AM and PM, I think they are doing a 'sound check' of who survived the night/day. If a coyote doesn't howl for a few days, their territory is now up for grabs, which is why I'll hunt the same place every week if I kill the coyotes that respond to the calls. Existing coyote gets killed, new ones move into the vacancy.

Hunted east and west. I have killed most my Feb March coyotes with howls in both east and western States. I just don't ever hear daytime howl or get replies in eastern states. I have heard coyotes in eastern States howl like crazy when storms are near. Mid-day included.

I once had a Canadian guide tell me that he would always howl to coyotes at noon while guiding predator hunters just to prove that you can howl them in any time of day or night. Of course he was Canadian.

Originally Posted By: foxhunt2506i always here them howl at night but not during daylight hours so i am i wrong or would it be unnatural to use coyote howls during the day?
I have heard it...

Originally Posted By: foxhunt2506i always here them howl at night but not during daylight hours so i am i wrong or would it be unnatural to use coyote howls during the day?

No. Use them! Coyotes most certainly will howl during the day. A lot of times they'll do it when provoked though and not naturally on their own. A lot of people believe they never do it but they do.

Back