Directions for a Home-Made Coyote Drag Please

Weasel,
In the terrain of the west, or any rocky areas I'd agree with you for sure and suggest carrying. Even here in the east,though the drag is generally easy on them, I sometimes opt to carry them if it's likely to be a muddy drag,if only to save some time in cleaning the fur.I do carry a short length of doubled para-cord about 3' along with a can of spray on flea killer.The same cord can be used to drag, or looped around both front and hind feet,the coyote can be carried out suitcase style over the opposite shoulder.

I use an old wide camera strap with ribbon webbing on each end that i attach to one set of front and rear legs with slip knots, and carry them over either shoulder or neck to the closest 2-track or metal fence post/tree for skinning. I slip the tendon over the metal fence post once they're skinned to just below the anus, and pop the tail, and finnish skinning.

Have any of you guys ever tried calling coyotes to you instead of dragging them??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Dragging coyotes can be very dangerous sometimes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Just attaching a rope is sometimes hazardous: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

But on the plus side, look how close he got with his ghillie suit on before the coyote woke up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

causeitsfun1.jpg

"I have dragged hundreds of coyotes out of the field and I have never seen that it has damaged the fur. The fur buyers have never said they saw any damage to the hides of coyotes I bring in. If it was breaking off the guard hairs, etc., I'm sure I would have heard about it. If you run the slip knot loop around the lower jaw and put the front paws in that same loop, you are going to be dragging the coyote WITH the grain of the fur. Most of the time, I am dragging them on top of snow, but I also have dragged them on prairie grass, stubble and the like as well. I am careful not to drag them through cactus, thick brush etc., but I sure haven't noticed damaged fur by dragging them.

--------------------
Silverfox"

I'm with Silverfox on this one. No complaints from the buyers or the coyotes so far /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I've tried all of these tricks mentioned here, but the besy way I've found is to con a newbie into carrying the coyote back. I hate fleas, so it works very well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back