deer dogs???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I think your terrain and the way the deer act is going to tell you what kind of a dog you need. I am not at all familiar with dogs pointing on deer, but know for a fact in my area it would be impossible to make happen because of how cagey the deer are and how hard the terrain is to maneuver. When hunting deer on a spot and stalk hunt, I want as little noise as possible, and I would be concerned that a dog would just not make a stalk that realistic.

I have a lot of luck with using dogs to jump and track deer, and if you are hunting a place with multiple hunters, you may want to look into that. I use McNabs and they are perfect for what I want. I don't want a dog with a cold nose that is going to run every track it comes across, as I want the dogs to locate deer within 0-800 yards of where I am at the time. It is also crucial to have a dog that is extremely fast, athletic and has great endurance, because deer will make most dogs look like they are going in slow motion.

Good luck.

KillerBear if I have any pups left I may have a one for you to try. My GSP got my Cur that is a decoy type dog. Both are game dogs and very well behaved dogs if your interested let me know.

Last edited:
i really like them but shipping would probably be to much for me not including your price
cursing.gif
but if i ever come your way
thumbup1.gif
smile.gif
blush.gif
cool.gif
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: KillerBearIm so sorry
blush.gif
blush.gif
my other friend just put me a heck of a deal fer a dog agin i am so sorry for your troubles
blush.gif
frown.gif
blush.gif

What Breed of dog? Puppy or Adult?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KillerBearalready deer start trained walker hound 1 year old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After all that back and forth about the hunting style, you end up with a walker?

A walker is not going to stalk and point the deer. Nothing like the Vizsla in the video I posted.

Walkers are fantastic dogs, but the walker is going to RUN the deer. Completely different hunting style. How are you at shooting moving targets?

You've got your work cut out for you. A hunting dog is only as good as its training. You get out of it, what you put into it.

So the dog has been started on deer? What does it do when it strikes deer scent? What has it been trained to do?

"points on command" sounds more like a trick than a useful tool. Does the dog point deer? How steady is his point?

I'm not trying to take the wind out of your sails, just trying to figure out how this dog will work.

yea it was i needed to know any way if anyone ever hunted like this and now i know my dog is not a laughing stock he with probably with more better kick the ..bleep.. out of most dogs by the way he's been acting when went hiking he pointed out a deer thats why i bought him my friend and I were hiking and talking about dog hunting wen he told me he had pups is was very happy but then remembered what y'all said bout pointers so he said for me to come take a look and i went down there and we went into the woods with one of his previous gsp walker cross and that dog could find a needle in a haystack while we were walking the dog pointed out a doe fawn and young buck so i jumped on his ofer for a pup and i think it was a very wise decision so far.

I'd love to see a picture of this deer pointing dog..

No that didn't come out right. I'd love to see a video of this dog actually pointing on a deer.

Think you can do that?

I by no means know it all and have never claimed to either...now that being said

I had a few GSP's in my short life. The first one ended up being gun shy, just like his mom. i didnt know she was until he was too old.....The last one was a hunting machine. He could and would retrieve at night if I asked him to. But you see, GSP first instinct is to move and cover ground. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that your dog can't be taught, you are just going to have to spend alot of time afield to get this done.

A hunting dog is a hunting dog! Unless you spend alot of time with him to TEACH him what you want and have a hand gentle enough and patience enough to get to that point a dog can be ruined.

Ask anyone that hunts dogs, a firm hand can be just as detrimental to a good dog as no work with them at all.
End on good notes, keep the lessons short, keep spirits up and when you start to get frustrated, walk away for another day. Your dog will pick up on what you want and expect, just don't expect it right away.

There were some great guys here that don't post much that gave some great advice. I would go back and read their advice to you. Ask genuine questions about HOW to do things and you will get pretty good advice.

Good luck with your dog...be careful if that dog tries to kick the crap out of everything...that's not a good trait and may be tough to overcome....you don't want a dog pi$$ing on every tree, he will become a problem with what you want to get done.

Nice to see you others guys still around here and offering up sound advice to a beginner.

Back