Deep downwind in the timber

Originally Posted By: GCHey brother, if it was easy everybody would do it. We choose to hunt coyotes because it isn't easy, and because everybody can't and won't.
thumbup1.gif

Lol, everybody wants to know how but not willing to put the time or effort into learning. Wiley is an excellent teacher !

Well said GC !

Originally Posted By: Flesh EaterOriginally Posted By: LARUEminatiBelieve it or not, in my experience if they howl back most of the time I don't end up seeing one. Conversely, MANY times like clockwork, I start my sequence with a "group howl (pick your favorite)" howl and then PAUSE the d*mn remote and be quiet. I usually reset the timer and let it go for five minutes of silence. So you got that right, one sound for about 15 seconds then silence.

Many guys are too quick to get in a frenzy of back and forth, which is ineffective. It's like they hear a howl then unleash the whole library of sounds and then are like W-T-F they didn't come??

You also mentioned conclusion, I always start with vocals and end with pup distress this has made me much more successful. 80% of the time, i'll let out a howl then pause, give it 60 seconds and they come trotting out like whole the h*ll is that? BANG. If that doesn't suck them in the pup distress at the end of my stand finish's the deal. Body language you can generally tell they're comfortable and somewhat curious. The pausing of the sound is the key because it then puts the ball in your court, they want to hear more but they're not getting it so they come check you out. I've found if they immediately howl back generally they just hold tight and wait for you to come check them out.

Works for me but to each his own. Had to come up with my own solutions for the east, what you see on youtube isn't it.

The last two coyotes I've called in all responded to group yip howls, almost immediately. However, they were so close it sounded like a FoxPro at full volume replying. Once they replied, I sat tight for maybe 60 seconds, then hit pup distress and waited. Overall they came charging in, in less than 5 minutes from the time I set up. However, it's good to know you have success without hearing them as well. The hardest part about hunting thick timber is having enough eyes to cover all their possible approaches! My hearing isn't too good anymore, so hearing foot steps is highly unlikely.

Also, like you said, too many guys start throwing their entire library at these animals. I've had great success with minimal calling. I've also set my FoxPro up so it only plays once, then stops. It gives me time to hit the mute button and sit tight. Prey distress also hasn't done me any favors for coyotes. It works well on coon and fox, though, especially squeaks.

In that scenario I would have done the exact same thing. Started off with the howls, pause, they respond, give it a minute or two then go straight to pup distress. Most of the time the whole stand is done in 5 minutes and you have one or more down.

If I get no response is when I give it a solid 3-5 minutes of silence before I go into other sounds. No matter what i'll finish with pup distress and generally thats when they'll show up.

Keep after em'

Originally Posted By: Flesh EaterOriginally Posted By: LARUEminatiBelieve it or not, in my experience if they howl back most of the time I don't end up seeing one. Conversely, MANY times like clockwork, I start my sequence with a "group howl (pick your favorite)" howl and then PAUSE the d*mn remote and be quiet. I usually reset the timer and let it go for five minutes of silence. So you got that right, one sound for about 15 seconds then silence.

Many guys are too quick to get in a frenzy of back and forth, which is ineffective. It's like they hear a howl then unleash the whole library of sounds and then are like W-T-F they didn't come??

You also mentioned conclusion, I always start with vocals and end with pup distress this has made me much more successful. 80% of the time, i'll let out a howl then pause, give it 60 seconds and they come trotting out like whole the h*ll is that? BANG. If that doesn't suck them in the pup distress at the end of my stand finish's the deal. Body language you can generally tell they're comfortable and somewhat curious. The pausing of the sound is the key because it then puts the ball in your court, they want to hear more but they're not getting it so they come check you out. I've found if they immediately howl back generally they just hold tight and wait for you to come check them out.

Works for me but to each his own. Had to come up with my own solutions for the east, what you see on youtube isn't it.

The last two coyotes I've called in all responded to group yip howls, almost immediately. However, they were so close it sounded like a FoxPro at full volume replying. Once they replied, I sat tight for maybe 60 seconds, then hit pup distress and waited. Overall they came charging in, in less than 5 minutes from the time I set up. However, it's good to know you have success without hearing them as well. The hardest part about hunting thick timber is having enough eyes to cover all their possible approaches! My hearing isn't too good anymore, so hearing foot steps is highly unlikely.

Also, like you said, too many guys start throwing their entire library at these animals. I've had great success with minimal calling. I've also set my FoxPro up so it only plays once, then stops. It gives me time to hit the mute button and sit tight. Prey distress also hasn't done me any favors for coyotes. It works well on coon and fox, though, especially squeaks.

How long do you play the pup distress for?

Last edited:
Back