Decent male tonight

DoubleUp

I called in a nice size male tonight and made the shot at 110 yds. with my 22-250. It was trying to be a cluster. I managed to get him stopped and the rifle didn't fire. Stopped him a second time after raising and lowering the bolt and still didn't fire. He's getting antsy now and so am I. Racked the bolt and chambered another shell. Stopped him a third time and managed to get the shot off and in the right place, DRT. I'll post the video tomorrow. Here he is.

#46c.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Clarence, and I'm still not sure what happened on the misfires. The firing pin didn't hit the primer either time. Don't know why the firing pin didn't fall.

Thanks Clarence, that sounds reasonable to me. I had emptied the 5 shot mag. verifying zero before leaving the house and it's possible I didn't fully pull the bolt back when I reloaded the mag. I would have thought lifting the bolt would re-cock the firing pin but evidently not. Anyhow the "cluster" turned into a "duster," but I don't' want that to happen again. Video added at the top.

Last edited:
Lifting the bolt should cock most actions. Not all that familiar w/the cock on close actions but they are pretty rare.

After watching the video, sounded like two clicks then third time fired. Did you recover the "dud" round? If indeed that was two clicks that would have been firing pin dropped but did not contact primer or perhaps override when you loaded so MT chamber on first two attempts until you racked the bolt????

Good deal on perfect shot placement after 2 "clusters" Owen.
Are you by chance shooting a Ruger? I had a few dry fires a few years ago and someone on here said that if the bolt handle was not down all the way that it would sound like a dry fire. I tested this out and he was correct. Just raising then lowering the handle worked every time. I was ejecting and rechambering and finding no pin strikes. When I was testing, I 'on purpose' did not lower it completely after the first click and got the dreaded click again. Since then, I have only neck sized so my shells fit snug in the chamber and the bolt doesn't raise without some force applied.
Glad you got some action--got to be getting hot a buggy done there.

Clarence, I did recover the round and the primer had no marks on it at all, so it wasn't a bad primer or bad reload. Mike, I have had that happen with my Ruger Predator in the past just as you stated, but this was a Savage with the 3 position safety which locks the bolt down on full safe. Intermediate safe allows the bolt to be raised to unload but rifle won't fire so no clicks occur. On fire, the pin should have dropped. So, not sure what happened.

I sure don't understand everything I know about that one, Owen. Looks like you've already covered all the bases.

Glad it worked as it should this time! Have you ever had the bolt apart? If not, wonder if there is some grease or?? causing a lazy firing pin?

No, I haven't Clarence. It could very well be since it is an older rifle I've had about a decade. I restocked it and had the barrel shortened to 18" and threaded for my suppressor, so that could possibly be needed. If it happens a second time, I will definitely have to take it apart.

I hate when that happen to me, but mine was a primer seating depth and hasn't been an issue since I started bench priming instead of hand priming.

At least he stopped all three times....good job!

Good thought. Hadn't thought of that, but primers not fully seated can cause that. I don't think his primer was marked at all, however.

Thanks Mike, and yeah it has been unusual to say the least. This one weighed in at 37 lbs., but his teeth were pretty worn. I shot him with the bullet that failed to fire twice on Sunday night. Primer had not been even slightly dented at all on the two previous misfires.

Back