Death in the family, Modarators is this OK to post

I am not looking for a pity party. I am looking for advice on how others have dealt with the death of a loved one. PM’s would be fine.

The situation: It has been over 30 days since my son-law was tragically killed in horrific traffic accident. I probably could not have asked this any earlier.

I had just gotten home from work around 1145 pm when my daughter called asked me to come over because the coroner was there.

He was coming home from work around 2030 driving south bound I-5. An older couple had entered the wrong way on a I-5 exit, driving north bound into the on coming the south bound I-5 traffic. They had traveled over two miles side swiping some other vehicle, before crashing head on with my son-law’s vehicle. He was trapped in his vehicle(unconscious, dying or already dead, it does not matter now he is gone). People said they tried to get him out. The vehicle burst in to flames and he was burned beyond recognition. According the paper the old couple was taking to a local hospital with minor injuries.

I was still at my daughters house in the morning when the kids (two boys 9,7 and a girl, 5) got up and my daughter told them that daddy was in a really bad car accident last night, he didn’t make it, he died, he is not coming home and he got hurt so bad we don’t get to see him.

They stayed over at my place that night and when my oldest grandson was saying his prayers he said God I can not for give you right now for taking my dad. Thank you for not letting him suffer.

A friend was over talking to my wife the following day. The picture of the crash was on the front page. My grand daughter had been hanging around the fringe of the conversations. My neighbor leaves, my wife goes out back and I walk in. My grand daughter asks to see the paper I hand her one off the counter and she says no, the one on top to the refrigerator. I could see what it was. I said I need to call you Mommy first, then thought about it and showed it to her. I was thinking and hoping the picture would help them understand the accident. She looked at it and said her brothers would want to see it and ran off to get them. I (late) then called my daughter and she said no. I explained my thinking and that I had shown my grand daughter and she said OK. The boys looked at it then came back and looked at it a couple of more times.

At the services my oldest grandson( tearfully, he just turned 9 in August) got up and spoke he said he would give all this things away and would never ask for anything else if he could have his daddy back. Kids on his soccer team wore their uniforms and so did the scouts. My son had made a DVD with picture, film clips and music. After the fifth time I could watch it without getting to tearful. I had to do that because I knew it would be playing before I got up to speak. Thankfully, when it was playing in church people were laughing at parts and that helped me feel better

My son-law he is a great guy, in addition to being my daughter’s husband he was my sons best friend. He was an assistant Cub Scout leader (he had just gotten my grand sons in to shooting BB guns). He coached kid’s soccer. He played soccer on two different leagues and was trying to get on a third. He would come home from work and wrestle with the kids, they all loved it. He has been hiking up in the high country with me. He has even helped me pack elk out.

The first week went by as they say in the blink of an eye. The second week was just a blur. It is strange I can go outside and the whole world it going. There is just this one piece that is missing. To me it seems like he just vanished. My son say he just thinks about him being at work. Another neighbor said try not to think about it. I realize that it is done, it is final and that there is nothing that can be done about that part. There is a lot to do in the future myself and my son will step up to help out. I think about my grand kid growing up without a daddy and it is heart breaking. I know to be thankful for the time we have had together and to look forward to the time in the future. We have memories. It is tuff trying to make sense of it, because it does not make sense, what are the chances, the odds, the probability of this car traveling two miles the wrong way missing everyone else and killing my son-law?

I just don’t remember the feelings being this bad when my Dad, mother in-law and father in-law passed away. Their deaths were expected, his was truly in the blink of an eye. There are things in this universe that we may never understand now or ever. It may just be this is what is. It is what it is. I have read that you never really get over it, you just learn to live with it. Thanks

Sorry to hear of your loss, and of course its ok to post.

I hate when kids loose a parent. That is the saddest thing. I cant give any advice as I havent experienced an untimely death in the family.

Prayers sent.

I feel for your loss. I to haven't lost and emediate family member. But having my 2 children move away and refusing to talk to their dad I kind of feel like I know what you are feeling. I don't know which is harder, to know that they are gone or to know that they are still around and just don't want anything to do with you.
Be there for the kids. They may seem like they are handeling it on the outside but aren't doing to well on the inside.

That is a terrible tragedy. You can harbor hate for the people who caused it, harbor hate for God, or even go into denial.....but none of those things will change the outcome of the situation. My wife and I both lost our Fathers within a 3 month span. It was tough. I used to call my Dad every single day, no matter where I happened to be. For at least 3 weeks after he passed, I would catch myself reaching for the phone to call him. It takes a while to get over a loss like that.

It's OK to grieve, to cry, and even to get angry. But the void that he has left in your lives will get easier to deal with as time goes on. Just surround yourselves with each other and give the kids plenty of support.

What are the first names (or just their initials if you prefer) of your daughter and the children? I would be honored to put them on our personal prayer list.

Can you post, my internet friend, if this forum was made for anything it was made for the very story you just wrote. Find comfort where you can and be as strong as you can be for the kids. They are what's important right now.

As far as the old couple that caused this awful thing to happen, they will suffer in knowing their mistake because they know who took the life of a father of 3....

My heart goes out to you--I do not know how you feel, however, I can empathize with you.

My wife's sister was murdered by our brother in law, who, in turn, took his own life. That was 16 years ago.

We raised 4 nephews in our house for 7 years, and they are a continual reminder to us of what happened.

Give your granchildren your love, support your daughter emotionally and we will say many prayers for you!

God Bless!
Tim

So very sorry to hear. I'm sure the entire family will be on an emotional roller coaster for quite some time. Prayers are sent from my corner to yours.

Having dealt with a lot of grief with families in your position, while I don't personally know some of your feelings, I do have one piece of advice.

Whether it is clerical, professional, or social services, get some family counseling... This is not only important for yourself, but your family and more importantly the children,

You will find that they need your support maybe more than you might need theirs, but a counselor will assist you with the right tools to help them with such a terrible loss.

It's easy to say, "I can work through this by myself", and maybe you can, but those children need all the strength and help that can be available.

God Bless..

So very sorry for your loss. I had to calm down a bit after reading this. My son in law is my number one hunting partner. I don't quite know what to say to help.

Our prayers are with you and your family.

May there always be work for your hands to do;

May your purse always hold a coin or two;

May the sun always shine on your windowpane;

May a rainbow be certain to follow each rain;

May the hand of a friend always be near you;

May God fill your heart with gladness to cheer you.

and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your'e dead..

Pop

+1 on the counsling I did and was one of the best things I ever did and god is a good listner too it helps to talk things out even here is a place . Sorry for your loss prayers from here.

I'm afraid that I don't have much to add other than to say that your family will be in my prayers. Bad things happen to good people and its terrible!

I can only say that this terrible tragedy can only be softened by knowing that we care and others care, too.

You have a job to do now... that is to help your daughter and your grandchildren get through this. That will help you get through it, too. Love and support each other as I'm sure your son-in-law would want you to do. He was undoubtedly a very fine man and a great dad. I'm very sorry for your loss and will keep you and your family in our prayers.

Nikonut,Katiebug, and Emily

In September we had two losses in our family. My grandmother, who I was very close to I lost. You might say I was her favorite grandchild, though she loved all her grandchildren. She brought me up to believe in the lord and I always went to church with her. I think about her everyday, quite often I am heartbroken. I try to keep the value she instilled in me and remember the good times.

The day after my grandmother's funeral, the only cousin who didn't make it to the funeral was killed an a horrible car accident. His blazer went underneath a head on semi going 80mph. The worst the county has ever seen. Our family has had it rough.

It takes time with losses, you just have to keep the faith. The children will need extra attention from family. Just remember all the good times you were blessed with and that everybody has their time. We have to be prepared for our time.

What a sad story. I know all of you will get through it because I can see the love of family in everything you wrote. Hang in there.

Randy

Our best to you in this very difficult time.

Re-read what Nikonut said. Spend time with the kids. You don't need a script, you don't need to read a book first, you don't need to have anything prepared to say. Just spend time with the kids individually.

Prayers for you and the whole family.

Im very sorry to hear about that.Things that we thought would never happen in a million years,can happen in the blink of an eye.Last year one of my best friends dads shot himself and I heard the news when I got home from school,he left 4 kids behind.It made me sick to my stomach,I just couldnt beleive it happened and I still cant.About a month ago I got the news that a friend of mine had been killed by a train and that was a really big shock as well.The friend of mine who was killed by the train was one of the nicest people I've ever met.And now he's gone unfortunetly.I dont know why but thats the way things happen sometimes.Like you said,you never get over it,you learn to live with it.If its one thing I've learned its to never take anything or anyone in my life for granted and everyone else should realize that as well.I will pray for you and your family.

Back