Dead Coyote Hevi-Shot

Who is JW? Anyway, how big was the "kill zone" on your target and what kinda shotgun and choke you shooting? Details man, details...

Just Wondering, GC

huh.gif

Honestly you guys can kiss my [beeep]!! I could say that I have personally shot 14 coyotes in the last month since I started this year, but thats bs, I could also say I have dropped an elk at 565 yards but thats bs, also could say i have shot two pope and young deer at 50-55 yards with a bow that is also bs!! I am blessed and do this everyday, but for you weekend warriors I understand just enjoy hunting thats all its about!! I am done with this site sorry if I offended anyone, but we are all experts!!!

Been following this post and thought I would post a picture of a coyote I took a couple of years ago. I shot her at 52 steps with a 3 1/2" load of Remington HD BB's thru a Terror .675" choke. I noticed my pattern seemed a little high at the shot but as I played it back thru my mind I was a little high when I touched it off. I was impresssed with the HD bb's as I skinned it out. I counted 15 different pellet wounds on the entrance side and only found one that did not make it all the way thru. It was lodged under the skin on the opposite side in the shoulder area.

wvzkth.jpg

My friend and I have shotgunned three since the first of this year. He took two on the same morning with the Dead Coyote. The first one was only 25yds, the second was only 20yds away. He was using a imp.cyl.

Here is one I killed last week, I was using the same Terror Choke and a load of federal heavywieght BB's at only 40yds.

or4cp2.jpg

My personal set-up is a Browning Citori with 3.5" chambers. In the bottom barrel I have a Terror .675 choke and a Carlsons Dead Coyote choke in the top. In my gun the Carlson choke isn't very impressive with the Dead Coyote load, I usually load the Rem HD BB's in that barrel. Here is a typ. 50yd pattern from my Terror choke. Notice how the bulk of shot is slightly higher than my point of aim, this is good info to know!

fuuruw.jpg

Nice going on those TN coyotes JBD.

Your right, knowing that the main part of the shot pattern is slightly high (of POI) at that distance is very valuable to know. The shotgun I'm using is the same way at about 30 yards. I must remember to compensate for it.

Originally Posted By: zlaj3737Honestly you guys can kiss my [beeep]!! I could say that I have personally shot 14 coyotes in the last month since I started this year, but thats bs, I could also say I have dropped an elk at 565 yards but thats bs, also could say i have shot two pope and young deer at 50-55 yards with a bow that is also bs!! I am blessed and do this everyday, but for you weekend warriors I understand just enjoy hunting thats all its about!! I am done with this site sorry if I offended anyone, but we are all experts!!!

Hummm... asking questions offended you that much? Could I offer that it might be an error to assume that others on this website haven't been doing this stuff for a long time and delving into patterning in more than a casual way. Additionally these same guys have been going into the field and actually shooting critters to see how it actually works out in real life too. I wouldn't be so quick to start trying to "front" people out to defend something that is unusual rather than the usual.

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesOriginally Posted By: GCWho is JW?

John Wayne. The Duke. You know.

Honestly, the sudden switch threw me, I really didn't (and probably still don't for sure) know who/what that meant.

But I'll tell ya Pilgrim... a Greener SxS dog ear hammered coachgun was a trusty companion to the Duke on many a hazardous trip through Injun country. I'll bet he smoked a Ki-yotee or two with it once in awhile just to keep in practice!
smile.gif

I gotta say, Im with the OP on this one. It may have been an uncommon thing to hit a shot like that but he didnt say it wasnt. Also if you go back and read all of this from the begining, you will see that he was accused of being incompetent, then maybee a liar.

I really like this site becouse things like this arent common here. But it looks like this guy got jumped on for no reason.

Ok Nathan I respect your opinion and you may have a point. I think I see it differently...

Quote:To the guys that are being nah sayers do your research before you open your mouth! Advertised 70+ yards on the dead coyote load! Have you shot it yet and patterned it? No? Then dont knock someone that is giving a review on a product! Yes it is the first coyote I have shot with the load and would I take the shot again? absolutely! As far as distances go I shoot bows competitively im pretty sure I know what 65-75 yards looks like!!!

This looks to be a recommendation of an extreme range shotgun shot based on the manufacturers advertising (which most experienced guys believe is complete hyperbole advertising) and as the result of only one single coyote shot. Additionally with no patterning at the range to those advertised and recommended distances. There is no consistency or reliability in that. Then there is the assumption that nobody else has any experience or “street cred’s” to question the resounding blanket endorsement which was based on so little real data. Follow that with a hissy fit. I dunno… shrugging
frown.gif

JBD,
As you may or may not know, I really like those HD-BB's. They really break a coyote up. Unfortunately they are now discontinued. I've been casting an eye toward those Federal Heavyweights for when my stock of HD-BB dries up. If you can get that Flite Control wad to pattern that has to be a good load. Can you tell me more about your experience and patterns with the Federal Heavyweight BB?

Wait... maybe we should either start a new post or you could pm me with your experience with it. This post has taken a bad turn and may get worse - lol.

Better yet, could you maybe make a post about that here...

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=777351&page=1

Been collecting shotgun data there since 2007 and the guys that use that as a reference will appreciate your results.

Last edited:
I've no experience with the Dead-Coyote loads, but I have about 9-10 years worth using Hevi-shot for waterfowl. This stuff seems to hit like 1 size, or maybe 2 sizes, larger leadshot.

I have no doubt that the Hevi-Shot 'T' pellets would be effective at 60+yds on coyotes. The big question is can your gun/choke/load combo hold a killing pattern at the long ranges.

To the OP, give the site a chance. There are a bunch of good guys on here, and the wealth of information is amazing.

Originally Posted By: GCJBD,
Can you tell me more about your experience and patterns with the Federal Heavyweight BB?

Wait... maybe we should either start a new post or you could pm me with your experience with it. This post has taken a bad turn and may get worse - lol.

Better yet, could you maybe make a post about that here...

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=777351&page=1

Been collecting shotgun data there since 2007 and the guys that use that as a reference will appreciate your results.

It is done!

Back