Day vs night hunting

g Bo

Just wondering what you all have found.

I've mostly hunted coyotes during the daylight hours. I've had pretty good sucess over the past few years. It's been challenging but fun. That why I do it.

I've been out at night and it's much much easier than daylight hunting. It almost seems like your taking away a kids Halloween candy by hunting at night. It's way more successful and much easier but not as challenging or as fun. So I dont hunt at night.

What do you all find that have hunted both?

I see no difference here most refuse to come out of the woods to a call. pretty darn tuff here no matter which way you go. that's why I love it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: g BoJust wondering what you all have found.

I've mostly hunted coyotes during the daylight hours. I've had pretty good sucess over the past few years. It's been challenging but fun. That why I do it.

I've been out at night and it's much much easier than daylight hunting. It almost seems like your taking away a kids Halloween candy by hunting at night. It's way more successful and much easier but not as challenging or as fun. So I dont hunt at night.

What do you all find that have hunted both? I totally disagree, only on the "it's much much easier" part...I mainly hunt at night and think the complete opposite...hunting at night, when calling if you happen to get in them pretty good, meaning 2,3 or more coming in, all you really see are the eyes reflecting, take the shot after identifying, and the rest tend to always "run"! It's very hard to double or even triple, or more on one stand. idk about you? But getting them in your scope during them being on the run at night is almost impossible! Unless your using a FLIR or night vision. And even that is difficult. But it's always a "challenge" both day and night. During the day, at least you can see them run once one shot is taken, that's way easier to see where they are running off too and hit them on the run. I've had way more multiples during the day as opposed to night....plus, recovery of the animal is easier too. I've lost more animals at night trying to recover them than during the day, maybe hit one and it's not a perfect shot, they get going, even if it's just a few yards away. I'm sure "ALL" of us had to chase down a few...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DropadoglvOriginally Posted By: g BoJust wondering what you all have found.

What do you all find that have hunted both? I totally disagree, only on the "it's much much easier" part...I mainly hunt at night and think the complete opposite...hunting at night, when calling if you happen to get in them pretty good, meaning 2,3 or more coming in, all you really see is the eyes reflecting, take the shot after identifying, and the rest tend to always "run"! It's very hard to double or even triple, or more on one stand. idk about you? But getting them in your scope during them being on the run at night is almost impossible! Unless your using a FLIR or night vision. But it's always a "challenge" both day and night. During the day, at least you can see them run once one shot is taken, that's way easier to see where they are running off too and hit them on the run. I've had way more multiples during the day as opposed to night....plus, recovery of the animal is easier too. I've lost more animals at night trying to recover them than during the day, maybe hit one and it not a perfect shot, they get going, even if it's just a few yards away. I'm sure "ALL" of us had to chase down a few... Although my night hunting experience might not be up to par with some I totally agree. It's actually pretty hard at night because it's sometimes hard to judge distance too,at least for me. Which can be hard while trying to recover a downed animal also. Day and night are both pretty challenging but I love night hunting the most. One upside to it is even if something is in thick brush (a bobcat for example) you'll pick its eyes up in the light right away. Where as in the day time that same cat in that same clump of brush might go unnoticed.

Last edited:
I've had the opportunity to hunt with some "heavy hitters" meaning they are better than I when it comes to calling in coyotes....almost every one of them do not like to hunt at night for that simple reason. Take for example: "fur takers" and yes I know, it's "TV" but while taping you can see the coyotes from hundreds of yards away, watch them bobbing and weaving, going from left or right, trying to wind you and so on, that's almost always all eliminated during the night time. And "yes" ranging them at night is quite difficult...

I prefer days over night. As has been stated, I can read the coyote better if I can see their whole body. And I just plain suck calling coyotes at night.
For some reason I just can't seem to get any big time night hunters to come to Vegas to show me just how easy they all claim it to be.

From what I've learned coyotes are probably the toughest to call at night. Depending on who's running the light. But the same goes for foxes or anything else for that matter. If you shine them and hold the light directly on them before you're ready to shoot,they're either gonna hang up or leave.

I don't like green lights. The red is the way to go for picking up the eyes shining. And I suppose it's just personal preference probably but when it's time to shoot I'd rather have a white light. The red lights make it tough to see an animal if it's not very close. At least for me it is. During the day is easier in that regard because you don't have as much to worry about as far as spooking them off and having to get them within a certain range before you can identify the animal and take the shot.

I have to laugh when I hear someone saying night hunting is much easier than daytime. Most of them are the same ones who say 40 coyotes in 24 hours is not doable.

You better have your daytime techniques perfected before you even consider hunting at night. Especially handling and shooting.

Originally Posted By: R.ShawI have to laugh when I hear someone saying night hunting is much easier than daytime. Most of them are the same ones who say 40 coyotes in 24 hours is not doable.

You better have your daytime techniques perfected before you even consider hunting at night. Especially handling and shooting. Couldn't of said it better!

Originally Posted By: R.ShawI have to laugh when I hear someone saying night hunting is much easier than daytime. Most of them are the same ones who say 40 coyotes in 24 hours is not doable.

You better have your daytime techniques perfected before you even consider hunting at night. Especially handling and shooting.

I've killed afew Coyotes in my days but never close to 40 in 24 hours, have you?

Quote:I've killed afew Coyotes in my days but never close to 40 in 24 hours, have you?

Nope. Never said I had. It was in reference to a previous thread on this board.

Night hunting here is much more productive, mainly because that's when they are out - just like our deer. Would hunt deer at night in a second if it were legal.

Originally Posted By: erictNight hunting here is much more productive, mainly because that's when they are out - just like our deer. Would hunt deer at night in a second if it were legal. Yeah, wouldn't that be awesome!!

I have never had much luck at night but from what I am told the guys winning the contests around here in Illinois don't even bother going in the day. The last two contest winners had 8 and 10 kills with 2nd and third about half that. They are supposedly using thermal and hunting open ground.

Last edited:
Back