~Day LighT SAvings~

Glad his recovery is coming along.. I bet you have far less spinners hitting them with a 243.. The chassis is an XLR.. They make another model with a barrel shroud.. I like it without, sets the scope lower to the bore

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762Glad his recovery is coming along.. I bet you have far less spinners hitting them with a 243.. The chassis is an XLR.. They make another model with a barrel shroud.. I like it without, sets the scope lower to the bore

Jeremy, what effect did the XLR have on your Savage's accuracy? Did you get it direct from XLR or ???

If I'm able to hunt next year, I may be forced to ditch my pet 243 WSSM AR and go back to a bolt gun due to the golden rule, as Venatic calls it. Landowner dictates no AR's after this year.
frown.gif
I really like the AR configuration for my style of hunting and can't imagine going back to straight pistol grip. Thinking about either a Savage 243 or maybe even a 308 in that stock would be about as close as I could get. Your thoughts, having used one?

What barrel weight on your rifle and how does it balance w/XLR?

Regards,
hm

Last edited:
Clarence,

That chassis maybe tightened groups up a little but the rifle has always shot well, even before.. I bought it from Tactical Works, Inc. it is heavier than most would want to carry as a calling rifle but I am used to it.. The barrel is to long to practically use a suppressor and I don't want to cut it down and risk messing with its accuracy.. I am getting another medium barrel to cut down to 16.. If you are used to an AR sitting in your sticks then that stock is an easy transition, the same when you transition back the AR.. I use the same reticle in most of my scopes as well trying to keep everything consistent..

For some reason I prefer a bolt over AR or shotgun.. I think most land owners feel a little more safe letting someone hunt among their livestock if they are carrying a bolt instead of AR..

What caliber is your rifle, Jeremy, and how does it balance with the med. barrel. I'll have to get a rifle, as well.
Had an FP10 in 223 for a short while, but balance was terrible on a sling. Muzzle up the light stock/heavy barrel caused butt to ride forward, eventually wound up horizontal under arm.
frown.gif
Great offhand rifle since it was so muzzle heavy.

You mention weight. I don't carry that far in field, but how much heavier is your savage than a fluted HB AR? Biggest concern is carrying on sling as I usually have hands full and sling my rifle.

Thanks,
Clarence

Last edited:
It is a 12FV in 223.. It balanced horible with the original Tupperware stock.. It balances better in the chassis.. Again, I carry in a manner most would not.. I attach the QD on the right rear, center on the butt.. I run the strap under my right arm pit so it is already rested on my shoulder while to and fro.. For me it balances much better carrying at this position..That extra padding on the Troy sling I found is worth it's weight in gold after carrying it any size able distance..

I use the same sling and position weather I am carry bolt or AR;

Will have to give that a try. W/M4gery, I can get by w/sling on left shoulder, muzzle down but w/longer barrels, I'm too short, muzzle closer to ground than I prefer. Looks like your setup would work better. Thanks.

Regards,
Clarence

One last question, Jeremy. Read somewhere that cleaning can be a problem due to high cheek piece. Can't tell from pictures, is the back end of cheek piece closed or can the rod pass through it? Looks like your low scope mount might allow lower cheek piece and rod clears over it?

Reason I ask is, some on the Savage board, suggest the hinged stock to facilitate cleaning, but noticed yours does not have it. Only hinged stock I ever had was an original paratrooper M1 carbine and the hinge did not lock solid resulting in even less accuracy than the not-so-accurate standard carbines. (Sure messed up getting rid of it, though, in spite of accuracy.
frown.gif
).

Regards,
hm

Now personally, I am not an AR guy. I don't even own one. But if that is the style stock and setup you feel comfortable with then there is another option I know of. This is a rifle I Cerakoted for a friend of mine, the chassis it is in is made by MDT. I know it takes AR buttstocks and grips. Pretty sure it uses AI style magazines. This one is a Remmie 308 that has been cut to 18" to run with a YHM Phantom.

http://mdttac.com/chassis-systems/

Last edited:
Thanks, Jeff. Not sure all this is going to come to pass, but doing my research ahead of time so I'll have an idea which way to jump if/when the time comes. Appreciate the info & good lluck Friday.

Regards,
Clarence

Jeff, that rifle is sick!

Originally Posted By: hm1996One last question, Jeremy. Read somewhere that cleaning can be a problem due to high cheek piece. Can't tell from pictures, is the back end of cheek piece closed or can the rod pass through it?

I have no problem running my cleaning rod thru it..

Originally Posted By: hm1996 Looks like your low scope mount might allow lower cheek piece and rod clears over it?

You can adjust the height on it.. I just leave it set and not mess with it;

image.jpg1_402.jpg
[/URL]

Originally Posted By: hm1996 Reason I ask is, some on the Savage board, suggest the hinged stock to facilitate cleaning, but noticed yours does not have it. Only hinged stock I ever had was an original paratrooper M1 carbine and the hinge did not lock solid resulting in even less accuracy than the not-so-accurate standard carbines. (Sure messed up getting rid of it, though, in spite of accuracy.
frown.gif
).

Regards,
hm

Under 50 yards it is pretty accurate.. I love mine.. One of my funniest rifles to plink with:

Thanks for the info, Jeff & Jeremy. Always good to know all the alternatives, especially since unable to get hands on before purchasing. I do like the deeper forend on the XTL. Thanks for the detailed pics and clarifications, Jeremy.

During the 8 years spent in Army & NG, I was first armed with the Garand and later the carbine. Always said if the shooting started, I'd dump the carbine in favor of an M1 (for it's superior range/accuracy), but you're right, the carbine is a really fun plinker. Swapped for the paratrooper (original GI) but didn't like the play in stock hinge so swapped it for a standard carbine, which I still have. Unfortunately, can't see iron sights any longer so put a no-drill mount on it w/a red dot so I can still shoot it.

Thanks again, guys for all the info.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: JTPinTXNow personally, I am not an AR guy. I don't even own one. But if that is the style stock and setup you feel comfortable with then there is another option I know of. This is a rifle I Cerakoted for a friend of mine, the chassis it is in is made by MDT. I know it takes AR buttstocks and grips. Pretty sure it uses AI style magazines. This one is a Remmie 308 that has been cut to 18" to run with a YHM Phantom.

http://mdttac.com/chassis-systems/

Sweet>. Now that looks fun-

Back