Dark Brown NJ Mink

Pickerel

Greetings all,

This is my first post. I've been reading the Trapping on PM for years and I wanted to see how our dark mink did this year. I used to sell in Minersville PA to Ferrous and they used to bring a great price. Haven't trapped the last 5 years or so due to needing new knees for past 18 years, but I'm getting the itch again. Thanks for any information you may have.

Pickerel

Welcome Pickerel. I can relate to the knee situation, was told by orthopedic surgeon in 2009 that full replacement was needed if I wanted to continue to be mobile. Here it is 2024 and have had no surgery and am still going after the coyotes and hogs. Told the surgeon that I wanted to leave this earth with all the parts the Lord had given me. I'll be 84 next month and the outdoor life is where I find my peace! Get after them critters and keep us informed.:)

I used to catch a number of mink in WI and MN, they were worth $50 each back then. They are mean little critters, releasing one from a spring beaver trap with welding gloves on he bit my thumb so hard it blackend the nail like I hit it with a hammer, hurt like it too. I had one in a bank hole set that didnt go out in the river and drown, i didn't expect that, he climbed the bank and hid. He launched himself and the trap at me when I bent down to find him, nearly took a chunk out of my face. luckily the chain came up a smidgen short.

Caught a big buck mink in a fox set(before mink/water trapping season opened) once. No catch pole, I used two 5 gal buckets to MOSTLY keep him off my fingers while I opened the coil spring trap. Needed the leather gloves, he was quick about trying to nip between the bucket edges. The set was in the middle of a section, at the fence line junction. No water anywhere in the section.

Back