CZ 527

Klebanoff

I have several rifles that could be called suitable for zapping predators. I love my Rock River . 223 AR coyote rifle. About three years ago I bought a Savage 12 BTCSS also in .223. It's a bit heavy to tote around all day, but it does 1/2 MOA with many loads and so is (much) more accurate than I am. That said, the rifle I keep reaching for when chasing foxes, coyotes and bobcats is, yet again in .223, a CZ Model 527 American. It's lightweight and it's single set trigger breaks at 1.5 pounds. Though the .223 isn't ideal for shots much beyond 300 yards, with that one qualification I think it's about the best predator rifle I've ever shot (sadly discontinued in 2021).

Just wondering if anyone else here owns one and what they think of it.

I have one that I shot a lot until I won an AR-15 in the 2010 Egg Shoot. Been pretty well stuck on the AR platform for predator calling since then. I do like that little 527, though I never full adjusted to the backwards safety.

I’ve got a .204 Ruger in the CZ527 American. It’s a real shooter with anything I run through it. I’ve shot 32 grain BT’s, 35 grain Bergers, 39 grain Sierra BK’s, and 45 grain Soft points, shoots all of them under 1/2 inch groups. I did change out the trigger with a rifle basix and it’s set at 1 pound. I really love it.

Good Hunting Chad

I had one in 17Rem. Burned out that barrel and replaced it with a PacNor 17Rem. Sold it. Slick action and trigger but the magazine always poked me in the back when carrying it.
May212014036b_zps09bcdb05.jpg

Last edited:
I've had them in 17 Rem, 204 Ruger and two 17 Hornet, all were Varmint models. The only 527's I've kept are my two 17 Hornets. I really liked the CZ 527's when you could buy them new for 600 bucks but since CZ stopped making the 527's the price of them has gone crazy and though I like them the price they are fetching now has, for me, far exceeded their value.

I've had them in 17 Rem, 204 Ruger and two 17 Hornet, all were Varmint models. The only 527's I've kept are my two 17 Hornets. I really liked the CZ 527's when you could buy them new for 600 bucks but since CZ stopped making the 527's the price of them has gone crazy and though I like them the price they are fetching now has, for me, far exceeded their value.
They have at least doubled or tripled in value, depending on caliber…the 17 Hornet and 221 Fireball seem to be the most pricey of all of them. $1500-1800 seems to be the going rate on either nowadays…that said I own .22 Hornet, .221 and a .223. And they are def some of my favorite rifles, especially the Hornet.

They have at least doubled or tripled in value.
For me their value is still the same, a nice little six hundred dollar rifle, but I will definitely agree they've doubled or tripled in price. I think there are better choices out there for less money in all of the cartridges you mentioned except the 17 Hornet. The CZ 527 IMO was hands down the best option when it came to anything in 17 Hornet. I think Ruger claims they're still making their 77/17 Hornet but I'm not sure they've made any in years.

I picked one up from a friend in .204 with the Sunset Laminate stock. I was interested since it was a .204 and I wanted to get a second one. But I didn't want to fiddle with another load work up process for it, so he told me to go shoot it and see if I wanted it. Took my same load I had worked up for my Browning and put 5 in a dime size group at 100 yards. Never even a thought of giving it back after that. At the time, I knew they were being discontinued, but had no idea what the price was going to do. Feel like I stole it now!

My 527 American is my go to rifle when hunting an area where I know there will be lots of walking. I shoot Hornady 55gr. Vmax in all my .223's and contrary to some statements about too many runners with this ammo, I have had one runner that went about 12 yards. My longest shot was 276 downhill steps using a Nikon Buckmaster target dot reticle, DRT. As you can tell, I am a big fan.(y)

My 527 American is my go to rifle when hunting an area where I know there will be lots of walking. I shoot Hornady 55gr. Vmax in all my .223's and contrary to some statements about too many runners with this ammo, I have had one runner that went about 12 yards. My longest shot was 276 downhill steps using a Nikon Buckmaster target dot reticle, DRT. As you can tell, I am a big fan.(y)

My .223 527 drives tacks with 40 grain Vmax. It's my standard varmint load. I handload some, but Fiocchi sells basically the same load that's quite good, especially for the price.

I have two of the new 600's. One in .308 and the other 6.5prc. I haven't spent much time with either yet, but videos I've watched, they have all been shooters even with factory ammo.

I've got a 527 Carbine .223 that I've never shot with bullets lighter than 55gr. Mine "patterns" more than "groups" with any of the loads I've tried. I think mine seems to just be a lemon when it comes to accuracy and I've set it aside until I get around to rebarreling it.

I’ve had three 527s, chambered in .221FB, .22 Hornet, and .204 Ruger; still have the latter two. The .204 is one of the almost-unobtainable Kevlar Varmints that shot so well with factory F-P 39 grain ammo (I stocked up on it before they stopped making it) that I only recently started reloading for it. It was the “priciest” of the three, at a whopping $675 OTD.

Back