CZ 527 Pro's / Con's

Originally Posted By: liliysdad

thumbup1.gif
I like that!

Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: liliysdadThe Varmint barrel profile is perfect when cut to 18"....

I like the way you think!

One of my Varmint model 17 Hornets is chopped back to about 20.5 inches and is threaded, the other is also a Varmint model but has not been cut or threaded. Wanna take a guess as to which one gets shot more.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: CZ527Mine is also cut to 18”, and that little rifle with the factory barrel has shot probably 9 of the best 10 groups I’ll ever shoot. It will CONSISTENTLY shoot 3 shot groups in the .1s, bad ones in the .3s. Of course, I’ve tinkered with the load a lot over the years.

You guys work to hard....I simply bought a Carbine with the 18.5" barrel.
Course I'm not sure that hooded front sight is suppressor compatible but it's a handy little piece.
The contour is about half way between an American and a Varmint model...
I put QD rings on it and dubbed it my "Battle Rifle". ha

e3q0dnrl.jpg

Pros: Beautiful stock, nice trigger, my .17 Hornet varmint is stupidly accurate, and overall a great hunting rifle.

Cons: Rings are expensive and odd, but high quality, the beautiful stocks are heavier, and recently my magazine has come apart at the riveted seams.

If you're doing a lot of hiking and carrying the rifle, it gets heavy with a light, scope, and bipod on it. Also, for eastern coyotes, I would opt for a .243 personally. We got some big coyotes here in PA. The last one that won Mosquito Creek I believe was 53 lbs.

My personal coyote rifle is a Tikka T3 Forest in .243. Much lighter than my CZ 527, and deadly accurate. Some people cry about the plastic Tikka added, but I like it, because it won't rust. Polymer on handguns is okay, but don't dare add it to a rifle?

Originally Posted By: willy1947

Pro's: You can own more than one.

Con's: You will wish you bought one sooner.

I can attest to this! I was lucky enough, through the help of another member on here, to find a very slightly used CZ 527 Varmint in 17 Remington several months ago. Why CZ still does not chamber for it I don't know.

I have been shooting an older Remington 700 BDL in 17 Rem and really like it but after reading so much about the CZ's I went on a search to find one.

After getting it and working up several loads for it to finally find one I like, I could not be happier with it. They are a really, really nice firearm.

I have always been a Remington fan (older models) but am extremely impressed with this 527. It is very accurate and I really like the trigger set up on them. The set trigger is great when I am sitting calm off a bench shooting sod poodles etc. but the standard trigger when I am out calling and running and gunning for song dogs is very nice, adjustable and crisp.

I can't say enough good things about them and like willy1947 said, I wish I would have bought one earlier!

You betcha, Willy. Right on.

Around 14-15 years ago when I heard that CZ was going to start offering their 527 Varmint in .17 Remington I immediately had my gun shop order me one. It was one of the best buys I ever made. The first time I took it to Wyoming on a prairie dog hunt it became my favorite rig when the shooting was less than 300 yards. The 20 grain Vmax never gave me a runner. It was just a delight. And since then never have I gone on a prairie dog excursion without my .17 Remington. Leaving that wonderful gun at home for something like this is almost abhorrent to me.

X3! This pretty well sums it up for me as well.

I own very few factory built rifles and I'm generally not interested in very many of them but these CZ 527's are a pretty sweet little gun.

Originally Posted By: WyoBull

I can attest to this! I was lucky enough, through the help of another member on here, to find a very slightly used CZ 527 Varmint in 17 Remington several months ago. Why CZ still does not chamber for it I don't know.

An even bigger mystery is why they never chambered the 527 American in 17Rem.

I bought my 223 carbine for eastern yotes in 2003. As noted by many already the 527 is a great shooter and has fantastic craftsmanship. The safety bugs me so i only use it when i am out by myself. I am always worried i will have it off when i am walking. The magazine is in the way for carying the gun down by your side when walking. These two problems cause me to take other guns a lot of the time.

I have a Zastava M85 mini mauser in 223 as well . Not the same quality but very servicable.

My go too yote gun is a Contender Carbine in 22Hornet in Stainless. Super lite and very short even with a 21" barrel. I almost bought it in 223 . This was my first dedicated centerfire yote gun for hunting in west Tennessee which i purchased in 1991.

Just my thoughts

Picked up My new 527 American yesterday and really like it. Adjusted the trigger and mounted a Nikon scope, Took it out and shot it this morning. Pro's are, Beautiful wood, Great trigger, Easy to carry. Now here's My Cons, Slightly hard feeding and not really impressed with accuracy this morning. Was shooting reloads with new brass so should do better next loading .

Last edited:
My 527 Varmint 223 hasn't overly impressed me with groups yet but its pretty new. I read somewhere (?) that the CZ's don't really start showing their accuracy until around 250 rounds.I'm a ways from that so I'm not to worried yet. I did bed my action and it did help a little but I'm not there yet.

A plus 1000 for the CZ 527 American!

I like set triggers for controlled conditions. The backwards safety is something I just got used to. The beautiful wood is a downer because I use my guns on a farm. As such they get banged around and my current tractor gun is a Ruger American Compact.

Three 44s

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pyscodogMy 527 Varmint 223 hasn't overly impressed me with groups yet but its pretty new. I read somewhere (?) that the CZ's don't really start showing their accuracy until around 250 rounds.

You know Bill, my 527 .223 was a used gun when I bought it but by all indications it had not been fired much. Mine is the American with the 1/12" twist and right off the bat it shot super groups with both the 40 grain and 50 grain bullets- mostly Ballistic Tips. I rarely shoot the gun these days as I prefer something with a bit more weight to it as it's easier to keep my target in the scope after firing. But as far as accuracy goes it seems to give up nothing to my heavier guns. And for sure it's a delight to pack around. Feels like a .22 rimfire.

Don't get me wrong, mine shoots good, just not the groups I'm looking for yet. Some of this is my fault I'm sure as I haven't spent much time on it yet. I did have the action bedded. Actually paid a guy to do it instead of doing it myself this time. I'm also considering replacing the trigger. The set trigger is nice but I'm thinking about a single stage over the set.

Lots of sellers online carry them. Just have to ship to a nearby FFL holder. I've bought CZs from Gunbroker.com and Budsgunshop.com with no problems.

Yep, when I bought my 527 Varmint in 17 Hornet, GrabAGun.com had the best price. Always had good experience dealing with them.

Back