CVA apex vs the Encore

cry.gif

[/quote]Oh jeeez... Here we go again. Another thread in a forum where we have a Randy Wakeman wanna be who has no idea what they are talking about. [/quote]
i hear ya about wakeman,but 2MG has a point,i have read alot of bad things about CVA...but im kinda that way
laugh.gif

Randy Wakeman ain't got a single thing to do with CVAs total lack of quality. They made their own bed. Truth is, I don't know much about RW at all, or who he is. Anyhoo, my opinion of CVA was formed LONG before I ever even heard the guy's name........

i have dealt with RW before on another forum i used to frequent alot...hes a arrogant pompous azz,yup i said it....

i have not a dog in this fight,but having checked them out lately and got to tell you they are kinda scary looking

Truth is, I know very little of him. I have been dogging CVA for 15 years, and probably heard RWs name for the first time in 2010.

Junk is junk. I don't need help identifying it.......

Originally Posted By: 2muchgun

Junk is junk. I don't need help identifying it.......

it seems you dont sir,im getting outta this thread

Me too, as Andy has his panties all in a wad. It seems he not only has poor taste in rifles, but an anger management issue to deal with as well............
laugh.gif

Guys, there is nothing wrong with a 'spirited debate' that is based on fact and personal experience, but when it dissolves to personal attacks and less than civil discoourse, it will be blocked,, deleted, and all parties sent up for reviesw..

Let's play nice, or don't play...

I own a CVA Apex and I think it's top notch. I'm going to be honest and say in the beginning I was [beeep] bent on buying a Encore Endeavor. After much research and reading articles the OBVIOUS choice is the APEX. If you do more research on how to get the most out of your Encore. It's going to have articles on dumping your T/C Barrel and putting in a Bergara Barrel for better accurancy. Bergara, has been recognized as "THE BEST" mass produced barrel on the market. That was good enough for me. I then compared prices and the ENCORE was around $900 big ones. The Apex eas right around $500. It doesn't take an Einstein to figure it out from there. I'm not here to bash T/C either. They do make an awesome rifle. Why should I pay $400 bucks more just because "The Bone Collectors" endorse it?
If you need any other information just ask and i'll be happy to help out. I've had mine for 3 years now.

Gutpylz, I have a few encore and g2 rifles and pistols. I have changed the trigger springs and have excellent triggers. how is the trigger on the apex? can the triggers on the apex be fixed easily to make them lighter?

I have purchased a bergara barrel for a 223 and the extractor took a minor adjustment to fix it. the barrel is a good shooter. I am also considering buying a bergara barrel in a 222rem. thanks for your reply. spike

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunI can't like either rifle, but I'd buy an encore way before I'd go near a CVA and their junk barrels of extruded spanish steel......

2muchgun-I think he is talking about the newer ones with the bergara barrles

Originally Posted By: DoubleOi own an Accura and my best friend has an Encore...what we learned is this:

my Accura shoots better groups than his Encore( in .50 mzl trim with 295gr powerbelts and 100grs or pyrodex) but his encore carries and feels slightly better in the hands and on the shoulder

his Encore with a .222 barrel and 7mm-08 barrel shoot very nicely however...darn nice infact...they are however both bergara barrels

DoubleO- Just cause your Accura shoots "THAT LOAD BETTER". Doesn't mean your gun shoots better than his! That just proves your gun likes "THAT LOAD" better.

I have both CVA's and a T/C Prohunter, I like all of them. All of them shoot good with the "RIGHT LOAD/BULLET COMBO"! Its just like reloading for accuracy in rifles. Just cause 1 thing doesn't work, doesn't mean another 1 will. I can say this from experience, if you buy a muzzleloader you better plan on spending about as much for the load development as you pay for the gun or MORE!

I have a CVA Optima and a Pro Hunter. I like my Optima, I love the Pro Hunter! Nothing wrong with the Optima and dam close for accuracy. The Pro Hunter feels better to me and I really like the stock that absorbs the kick from the 150 grains of 777 pellets. (maybe it is in my head I paid more so I should like it better_) I have to say the Optima never comes out of the safe now. I would sell my Optima no problem, Pro Hunter not for sale! I must say I used the CVA for several seasons and it worked fine. a couple deer and a nice black bear fell to the CVA. I have not killed anything with the Pro Hunter yet.

I wouldn't run a CVA for anyone. With the track record this company has about putting out absolute TRASH, injuring people, and then trying to deceive the public about it, they can keep their rifles.

I wouldn't run a Bergara barrel if, after shooting, it cleaned itself and mixed me up a Jack and Coke each time.

Extruded barrels of Spanish steel? Really?
scared.gif

Junk is junk. Too many good companies out there, with good reputations, making good products, to waste my time with such companies/products......

I.ve read some of RW's columns, and he is an arrogant know it all. I don't think he knows half as much as he thinks he does. As far as Apex versus Encore, I spend a lot of time at the range developing loads, and while I have never owned and Encore, I have seen a ton of them at the range. I know that there must be good shooting ones out there, because too many people swear by them, but everyone I have seen at the range, didn't shoot worth a flip. Conversely, the few Apex's I have seen, shot exceptionally well. Just my 2 cents. Oh, pictures of ML with blown barrels, normally make me think of someone losing count og their pellets, pushing the limits on their powder, or trying smokeless powder in them. I don't put much faith in any of it.

Originally Posted By: 2muchgun

I wouldn't run a Bergara barrel if, after shooting, it cleaned itself and mixed me up a Jack and Coke each time.

I don't shoot or know anything about muzzleloaders but based on this thread I think I'd go with the CVA simply because I can't trust any one that would put Coke in perfectly good Sour Mash.
grin.gif

To begin - I am fully aware that I am on a very steep learning curve here, so please bear with me. And my experience with Bergara barrels is one barrel and it did not involve a front stuffer.

About a year ago I had a CRF Model 70 action that I wanted barreled in 284 Win. Getting a barrel in a timely nature was the issue.

Bottom line was that I found a SS Bergara barrel available on their web site in a #2 contour which was what I wanted, and I bought it. I delivered it to the smith who does my barrel work and he chambered and fit it for me. In doing so he told me it looked like a very high quality barrel, and for a point of reference, this smith barrels rifles and builds complete rifles for many BR shooters, so I think he knows a little bit about the craft.

Next bottom line is that it shoots extremely well and cleans up exceeding well. But again, keep in mind that I've been told that I'm on a very steep learning curve here, so I might be misleading the populus by relating my experience.

If you use my experience, YMMV, and all of the other appropriate send offs that the wiser people utilize when tucked behind their keyboards. Some can recognize a POS just by reading and others slower ones like me have to experience reality and hope for the best.

Mr. Repete, your Coke and good booze comment is spot on point of aim. Just an opinion from experiencing such things more than one time.

I don't have any experience with the apex, but I have had two cva Optima's and neither of them would shouot what I consider to be acceptable groups no matter what bullet or load was shot. I pretty much gave away both Optima's and bought a Omega and have no complaints with the rifle, it is very accurate.

While I wouldn't buy a Encore for myself they do feel nice to shoulder, but i feel they cost too much for the accu you get. I have three friends that have .50 cal Pro Hunters and Endeavors and they are happy with them. All three guns shoot about the same size groups, right around 2-2.5" @ 100 and a right @ moa with handloads in the rifle barrels. My Omega out shoots them and cost a lot less.

If you want to swap barrels buy a Savage and if you want a good shooting muzzleloader look for a Omega.

Back